Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What kind of UPC would i need.

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
Share
September 20, 2012 11:11:01 PM

Ok so keeping in mind i have the following build.

GTX 680 16GB Vengeance 1800
Crosshair V formula FX 8150 (oc'ed)
SSD + 2 normal drivers
H80 WC on HAF X case with bunch of lights and full fans.
+ 1000W Strike X PSU.

MY question is how strong must an UPC be in order to facilitate the above mentioned configuration. + i have 2 x 24 inch monitors.

Would something like this or less be enough http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/BlueWalker/PowerWa....

THanks in advance.

More about : kind upc

a b ) Power supply
September 20, 2012 11:31:10 PM

The PC may be in the neighborhood of 400W and the LCDs might add another 100-150W. At ~550W peak load if you plug everything on it, 800VA might cut it pretty close. (The real-power rating of UPSes is 60-70% of their VA rating)

You would have to upgrade to 1kVA if you want some safety headroom.
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 1:26:43 AM

I would think an 800 would be more than enough. I don't see that PC getting anywhere near 550w. Probably not more than 400w even with the OCd 8150.

There is no harm in going higher, but it shouldn't be absolutely necessary.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 1:58:12 AM

Raiddinn said:
I don't see that PC getting anywhere near 550w. Probably not more than 400w even with the OCd 8150.

You forgot to include at least one LCD. A pair makes it ~500W and an extra 10% for margin makes it 550W.
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:10:42 AM

Either way I think the 800 would be fine, but I suppose that would mean it would be less of a bad idea to lean towards a higher amount.
September 22, 2012 8:40:19 PM

Raiddinn said:
Either way I think the 800 would be fine, but I suppose that would mean it would be less of a bad idea to lean towards a higher amount.


You are right the FX doesn't hog much power but the rest of the system does. I have few hard drives H80 closed water cooling full system fan setup which means 4 very large fans + couple of small once. Aside from that i have bunch of LED lights in there and for now a single GTX 680 which is OC'ed so that hogs a'bit of power. Not to mention the 2 LCD's gaming keyboards + mouses and i plan to probably add a second 680. + a severely overclocked FX 8150

PS: ( Assuming of course my FX 8150 doesn't bottle neck the second 680 ) :p 
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 9:28:08 PM

If you do indeed go for SLI then you might need to look for something in the 1200-1500VA range.
September 22, 2012 10:26:11 PM

InvalidError said:
If you do indeed go for SLI then you might need to look for something in the 1200-1500VA range.



well than that sounds about right would you think i can pull of single card on 1000VA ? To that effect http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/BlueWalker/PowerWa...

Well i think investing about 150 euro in a UPS and a surge protecting multiple socket box would be a good investment overall :p 
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 11:36:57 PM

Shallowmist said:
well than that sounds about right would you think i can pull of single card on 1000VA ? To that effect http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/BlueWalker/PowerWa...

1000VA should be more than enough for a single card. The 1400VA unit you linked to has a 850W rating which should be enough for your monitors + PC with enough headroom for SLI.
September 23, 2012 5:26:29 PM

InvalidError said:
1000VA should be more than enough for a single card. The 1400VA unit you linked to has a 850W rating which should be enough for your monitors + PC with enough headroom for SLI.



Well excellent than that should be doable :p 
!