Upgraded to a Downgrade... maybe

gretagail

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Hey Dudes and Dudettes,

I just purchased an hp with a Radeon HD 7450 which is going to replace my 4-5 year old custom comp with a GeForce 8800GT. After installing some of my more demanding games on the new comp, it's blatantly obvious that the fps is not nearly as good. Neither is the video quality.

I must admit, I know much when it comes to hardware. I ran a comparison over at gpureview.com, but I couldn't garner much from the wall of information. Is my older card really superior or am I just a technological ignoramus? Wait, don't answer that. They're not mutually exclusive anyways.

Anyway, getting off topic. If my 5 year old card is actually superior (which would make me a little angry), I'll swap them out and would like to know if that's an ok thing to do with these bundled computers.

I'll be more than happy to provide system specs for you.
Thank you for your help,
Greta

Solution
Yeah, I would say the GeForce 8800GT is faster than the HD 7450.

You need to realize that the 8800GT was a pretty high performance card back then. The HD 7450 represents the slow current generation Radeon HD 7000 series card. I would guess the Radeon HD 6570 is more or less equivalent to the 8800GT.
Yeah, I would say the GeForce 8800GT is faster than the HD 7450.

You need to realize that the 8800GT was a pretty high performance card back then. The HD 7450 represents the slow current generation Radeon HD 7000 series card. I would guess the Radeon HD 6570 is more or less equivalent to the 8800GT.

Solution

gretagail

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, that's good to know, even if it's bad news. I'm going to replace the new card with the old one which should be fun. Hopefully I don't end up shocking both into oblivion!

hp computers don't prevent new driver installations, do they?