Sign in with
Your question

GTX 460 Running Slow

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2012 12:37:25 AM

Hello, i have had my gtx 460 for a year now and it has done me well , when i first got the card i was playing crysis on high 4x aa 1650x1050 at about 40 fps , i re installed the game today and i got about 20-23
also gta4 is getting 20-30
fifa 12 30 - 38
minecraft 80-90 ( i was getting 400 last year)
Mafia 2 20-30
skyrim 19-25

I know all these games worked fine last year ! i was getting about 10-20 more fps in all of them. something is wrong and i know it but i don't know exactly what it is,
Using drivers 296.10
PCI express x 16 Gen2

Its a ENGTX460TOP from Asus,
Any help ? cheers :) 

More about : gtx 460 running slow

March 28, 2012 12:43:11 AM

oh btw
CPU= AMD Phenom II X4 B55
Ram = 4gb
OS = Windows 7
HDD = 1tb 7200rpm
PSU = 600w
MB= Msi

Windows Rating :
Ram: 7.5
CPU: 7.3
GFX: 7.4
Gaming GFX: 7.4
HDD: 5.9
March 28, 2012 1:35:23 AM

Have you just updated to those 296.xx drivers? You might go back and try to re-install an earlier versin such as the 286.xx drivers to see if that changes anything. I'm using 295.73 drivers on my 460's without problem, no change in FPS either up or down from earlier versions.
Did you check your video card settings to see if they are the same as before the driver change? They should be but check anyway.
Related resources
March 28, 2012 1:37:20 AM

Have you ever reinstalled windows or anything? Over time machines start to slow down. A reinstall of Windows is a must at least once a year. It'll keep your machine running smooth.
March 28, 2012 2:24:16 AM

eggbrook? What are you, 10 years old? Where did you get the idea to re-install Windows once a year! That's preposterous! Use a decent anti-virus and clean up your trash occasionally using CCCleaner from www.piriform.com
Get rid of old programs you don't use and if necessary defragment your hard drive.
Re-installing the OS is a waste of time unless you are too lazy to do housekeeping from time to time.
March 28, 2012 2:45:54 AM

I have to agree with DelroyMonjo completely,
The "slowing" down overtime doesn't happen magically. It mostly (almost always actually) happens to people who don't know how to maintain their computer. If you have a proper anti-virus, get no viruses (by staying away bad websites), don't constantly install/uninstall junk software, and generally use your computer normally for productivity you can run windows for many years.

Just clean out your temp files, clean your registry, remove un-needed processes/services with msconfig and you'll be fine. It takes 5minutes. You can also defragment.

Or you can get an SSD and forget about all that, because an SSD runs smooth no matter how junked your OS is from my experience.
March 28, 2012 1:45:32 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Have you just updated to those 296.xx drivers? You might go back and try to re-install an earlier versin such as the 286.xx drivers to see if that changes anything. I'm using 295.73 drivers on my 460's without problem, no change in FPS either up or down from earlier versions.
Did you check your video card settings to see if they are the same as before the driver change? They should be but check anyway.

yes i updated to see if it would make a difference , but it seems that no matter what driver i install ,it doesn't change a thing
March 28, 2012 1:50:20 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
eggbrook? What are you, 10 years old? Where did you get the idea to re-install Windows once a year! That's preposterous! Use a decent anti-virus and clean up your trash occasionally using CCCleaner from www.piriform.com
Get rid of old programs you don't use and if necessary defragment your hard drive.
Re-installing the OS is a waste of time unless you are too lazy to do housekeeping from time to time.

im doing as you said now , i will get back to you when im finished , i have avast , i scanned with this and AVG , no virus. also used malwarebytes to scan for malware.
And i de fagged the hdd not long ago and i always clean and uninstall all unwanted programs.
March 29, 2012 11:04:42 AM

DelroyMonjo said:

never worked , might just be a hardware problem
November 23, 2012 7:31:59 PM

I've also been noticing the same things. The card gets very hot, the fans keep a heck of a noice, the computer has been shut down because of overheating many times and the FPS have been dropping during the last 5-7 months. Used to play Skyrim and Crysis without lag, then the damn, in my opinion far too expensive, graphics card started lagging.

I perform the defragmentation of the disc, run C-cleaner and virus check, all three regularly so it has to be the card itself that is slowing down. And the warranty doesn't OFC not include the card wearing out due to bad quality. Hurray...
November 23, 2012 8:36:51 PM

You're card is not just slowly degrading in performance. I can bet 99.999% your issue is software based and a direct result of your actions.

Make sure your drivers are updated, try the new beta driver from Nvidia for good performance gains, and clear out processes in the background that munch down on ram and cpu power.
March 18, 2013 3:53:40 PM

odditiesrevealed said:
I've also been noticing the same things. The card gets very hot, the fans keep a heck of a noice, the computer has been shut down because of overheating many times and the FPS have been dropping during the last 5-7 months. Used to play Skyrim and Crysis without lag, then the damn, in my opinion far too expensive, graphics card started lagging.

It is kind of normal if you dont have dust filters in the comp case, dust fills the channels under the gpu "hood" and blocks the air, also the vent should be cleaned regularly to avoid noise. (next time buy a better pc case with built in filters)
so ventillation is blocked and its overheating if you use it under load... and soon it will smoke out if you dont clean it - remove the gpu case completely

some might consider replacing the thermal paste or adding extra gpu ram cooling parts - that's why they're selling it... I would if I had a gtx 480 or 580...

I had the same thing with a hd4850, died in 1 year right after the warranty outdated, because had half the size of vent compared to the 460gtx (small vent fills faster :)  usually the ram dies first, and then you will see some glitches, horizontal lines first... then it blacks out - shouldn't wait till it happens

mikeul
!