Multimedia file extensions, Media Player 10, and New users..

I've gotten all my multimedia file extensions the way I like them.
Some open with this, others with that, some have custom icons, etc.
When I create a new user in XP and then log on to that user for the
first time, Media Player 10 reclaims most of these file extensions and
resets their icons to its own.

This upsets me. :mad:

How do I prevent windows from resetting my file types to Media Player
10?

Hi,

In Windows media player, click on tools > options and flip to the file types
tab and uncheck the file types that you dont want to open with Windows Media
Player.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Nollie" <AlabamaWins@Auburn.com> wrote in message
> I've gotten all my multimedia file extensions the way I like them.
> Some open with this, others with that, some have custom icons, etc.
> When I create a new user in XP and then log on to that user for the
> first time, Media Player 10 reclaims most of these file extensions and
> resets their icons to its own.
>
> This upsets me. :mad:
>
> How do I prevent windows from resetting my file types to Media Player
> 10?

Please, I know you're trying to help, but don't respond unless you
have an answer to my question.

Nollie,

See if this workaround helps:

When you create a new user account, set it as "Limited". Logon one to that profile, and logout. Then, make the user profile as Administrator-level (if required).

If this helps, post back.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Nollie" <AlabamaWins@Auburn.com> wrote in message news:gaqlu014jpird94uvlpr9utd191akml588@4ax.com...
I've gotten all my multimedia file extensions the way I like them.
Some open with this, others with that, some have custom icons, etc.
When I create a new user in XP and then log on to that user for the
first time, Media Player 10 reclaims most of these file extensions and
resets their icons to its own.

This upsets me. :mad:

How do I prevent windows from resetting my file types to Media Player
10?

Nollie,

>> but don't respond unless you have an answer to my question.

What's the reason for your comment above? The workaround I suggested is very much valid, and there is a technical reason behind.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Nollie" <AlabamaWins@Auburn.com> wrote in message news:vj1nu0t37agdm82u1f20jms26arrt5v1e2@4ax.com...
Please, I know you're trying to help, but don't respond unless you
have an answer to my question.

I have a 350-line batch file that sets all my multimedia file
extension handlers and icons. There's around 50 file extensions,
including .avi, .mov, .rm, and all of them open with the same player
(Media Player) by default. Also, all of them have the same icon. The
icon and the player can be set by changing 2 lines in the batch file.
However, the icons are not updated until the icon cache is cleared,
and I can't do that with a batch file (I use TweakUI).

I do not want every new user on my computers to have to edit and run
this batch file (not every one who uses my computers is a computer wiz
and plus, the icons do not update immediately). Windows should not be
so selfish and assume every new user wants to use Media Player and its
icons for his multimedia files.

I'm sure there is a registry setting or a file somewhere that tells
Windows to exhibit this behavior. It's just a matter of finding it.

Therefore, any workaround I am presented with is inferior to the
method I am presently using. I need a solution. I already have a
workaround.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:16:46 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Nollie,
>
>>> but don't respond unless you have an answer to my question.
>
>What's the reason for your comment above? The workaround I suggested is very much valid, and there is a technical reason behind.

There is a solution, involving Stubpath registry key.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Nollie" <AlabamaWins@Auburn.com> wrote in message news:79bpu0ls35u19rt5k1f29lha10b11r4gjo@4ax.com...
I have a 350-line batch file that sets all my multimedia file
extension handlers and icons. There's around 50 file extensions,
including .avi, .mov, .rm, and all of them open with the same player
(Media Player) by default. Also, all of them have the same icon. The
icon and the player can be set by changing 2 lines in the batch file.
However, the icons are not updated until the icon cache is cleared,
and I can't do that with a batch file (I use TweakUI).

I do not want every new user on my computers to have to edit and run
this batch file (not every one who uses my computers is a computer wiz
and plus, the icons do not update immediately). Windows should not be
so selfish and assume every new user wants to use Media Player and its
icons for his multimedia files.

I'm sure there is a registry setting or a file somewhere that tells
Windows to exhibit this behavior. It's just a matter of finding it.

Therefore, any workaround I am presented with is inferior to the
method I am presently using. I need a solution. I already have a
workaround.

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:16:46 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"
<ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Nollie,
>
>>> but don't respond unless you have an answer to my question.
>
>What's the reason for your comment above? The workaround I suggested is very much valid, and there is a technical reason behind.

I actually found a solution. It works but I don't like it too much. I
add my batch file to the RunOnce registry key of the Default User.
That way, when every new user logs on for the 1st time, the batch file
is executed and overwrites all of Windows' changes.

Please explain the Stubpath registry key.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:44:08 +0530, "Ramesh, MS-MVP"