Sign in with
Your question
Solved

520 watt antec psu not working

Last response: in Components
September 21, 2012 2:40:23 AM

I am trying to build my pc.

Added i7 to ASRock z75 pro, Added memory sticks
wanted to check if my motherboard and components are working. Connected 24 pin and 8 pin cables from power supply to mobo.

Connected ac power cord to PSU and started power.

The fan on the psu is not rotating ?
Any suggestions.

Help please

a c 111 ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:41:03 AM

So does anything power on?

Which PSU is it?
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:42:39 AM

Antec neo eco 520 W
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:46:02 AM

Stupid question, but is the PSU plugged into a working outlet? If it's on a power strip or similar setup, is that setup powered on? Have you tested the outlet(s) that are being used?
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:48:58 AM

The Neo Eco is a very quiet PSU, the fan adjusts accordingly to load. So, is this system powered on?
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:51:19 AM

I connected it to the power strip outlet which used to power my laptop adapter. Since the unit does not ship with a cable, I tried to power it with the cable that powers my HP monitor. The cable works for sure as my monitor works, but when connected to psu and powered on the fan does not rotate.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:52:17 AM

Run a benchmark, the fan should spin up.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:52:25 AM

micceo said:
I connected it to the power strip outlet which used to power my laptop adapter. Since the unit does not ship with a cable, I tried to power it with the cable that powers my HP monitor. The cable works for sure as my monitor works, but when connected to psu and powered on the fan does not rotate.

If the power load is in the right range for that PSU, it might not need the fan to operate at all. Like amuffin said, running a heavy benchmark might change that.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:55:42 AM

Since this is the new build, I dont have any hard disk connected or OS installed. I just added processor ram and power connections to mobo.
Is there any way to check this psu works?
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:57:55 AM

If it powers on it works, just install your OS etc. and then run a benchie. Since you are drawing so little power that's most likely why it doesn't need to run the fan! Go and look up the PSU yourself, because there are many others like it.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 2:58:05 AM

If you could download a Linux Live CD ISO, Power ISO (or a similar program, this one should be free as should the Linux ISO file), and a Linux-compatible benchmark program that can stress the CPU and/or graphics, then you should be able to test this without a hard drive. However, it would probably be easier to connect a hard drive and install Windows.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:07:31 AM

this might be a dumb question , but i think i do need to switch on the motherboard for the fan to spin ?

I do not have a switch on button on mobo, which pins do i need to short to make the mobo start ?

Mobo is ASRock z75 Pro 3
m
l

Best solution

a c 111 ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 3:09:50 AM

So, you're saying the PSU doesn't power up because you can't turn on the board? The PSU doesn't turn on unless you power the mobo on.
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2012 3:10:55 AM

micceo said:
this might be a dumb question , but i think i do need to switch on the motherboard for the fan to spin ?

I do not have a switch on button on mobo, which pins do i need to short to make the mobo start ?

Mobo is ASRock z75 Pro 3

That'd be in the motherboards manual. Did you forget to use a power switch or something like that?
m
l
September 21, 2012 8:02:08 AM

ok , putting this for the benefit of other people too, I was shorting the right pins but it was not working, because my screwdriver was insulated !!

Used a conductor and it worked !!!
m
l
September 28, 2012 12:42:37 AM

Best answer selected by micceo.
m
l
!