520 watt antec psu not working

micceo

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I am trying to build my pc.

Added i7 to ASRock z75 pro, Added memory sticks
wanted to check if my motherboard and components are working. Connected 24 pin and 8 pin cables from power supply to mobo.

Connected ac power cord to PSU and started power.

The fan on the psu is not rotating ?
Any suggestions.

Help please

Solution
So, you're saying the PSU doesn't power up because you can't turn on the board? The PSU doesn't turn on unless you power the mobo on.

micceo

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
I connected it to the power strip outlet which used to power my laptop adapter. Since the unit does not ship with a cable, I tried to power it with the cable that powers my HP monitor. The cable works for sure as my monitor works, but when connected to psu and powered on the fan does not rotate.

If the power load is in the right range for that PSU, it might not need the fan to operate at all. Like amuffin said, running a heavy benchmark might change that.

micceo

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Since this is the new build, I dont have any hard disk connected or OS installed. I just added processor ram and power connections to mobo.
Is there any way to check this psu works?

If you could download a Linux Live CD ISO, Power ISO (or a similar program, this one should be free as should the Linux ISO file), and a Linux-compatible benchmark program that can stress the CPU and/or graphics, then you should be able to test this without a hard drive. However, it would probably be easier to connect a hard drive and install Windows.

micceo

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
this might be a dumb question , but i think i do need to switch on the motherboard for the fan to spin ?

I do not have a switch on button on mobo, which pins do i need to short to make the mobo start ?

Mobo is ASRock z75 Pro 3

That'd be in the motherboards manual. Did you forget to use a power switch or something like that?

micceo

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
ok , putting this for the benefit of other people too, I was shorting the right pins but it was not working, because my screwdriver was insulated !!

Used a conductor and it worked !!!