FX-4100 3.6 ghz to 4.0 a big difference?

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
I have a FX4100 right now at stock 3.6 ghz. I was wondering, if I overclock it to 4.0 ghz, will I see any difference? And if Im only gonna overclock it by .4, should I just keep the voltage on auto or maybe set at like 1.2?

welshac

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
An overclock to 4.0 GHz is a difference, what you will notice really depends on what you are running.

As far as voltages, it depends on your motherboard, your power supply, and your cooling solution. If you are running a stock cooler, I would recommend a basic multiplier increase, leaving everything else at standard(or auto if you don't like putting hard numbers in) values and testing your temps at 3.8 (x19) before you bump it up to 4.0(x20).

If you are running an aftermarket air or closed water block, and your motherboard can handle it, you can try to go higher and tweak some voltages, or start tweaking the bus speed.

Just make sure you turn off all the power saving options in your bios before you start doing anything.

And for reference, I also have a FX4100, with an Asus M5A97 and a Antec 920 closed loop. I can overclock to 4.6 just from increasing the multiplier and keeping fairly standard voltages and run Prime 48 hours stable. It does decrease boot time dramatically. So the chip will overclock, just make sure you keep it cool, and only change one variable at a time, while making sure not to take too big of steps.

Blahman11

Distinguished
May 23, 2011

Nah the fx4100 will hit 4ghz alright. It'll get 5ghz+ with good cooling.

You should be able to get 4ghz without any voltage bumps, if you do it won't be by much. I recall someone getting 4.6ghz on the stock cooler (although it did get a little toasty).

You will notice the overclock but 4ghz is conservative. These things overclock very very well and very easily. Get a good cooler and provided you have a good motherboard (4+1 phase VRMs minimum with heatsinks. You can tell how many phases you have by looking at the black boxes to the left of the CPU socket. If it's 4+1 without heatsinks then buy some. If it's a 3+1 phase then get a new mobo, if you can't then get mosfet heatsinks and be careful- you probably won't get 4.6 with one) you'll get big rewards with the amount of OC you get.

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012

Thanks and do you recommend turning off core performance boost in BIOS? If so, do I still keep voltages auto and do I leave core performance boost off all the time?

welshac

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

Depends what motherboard (and therefore bios) you are running. Also would help to know what (if any) aftermarket cooling you are utilizing, and your power supply information.

mafisometal

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Depending on your application, if it's a CPU hog for instance RTS and MMO games. Workstation programs like Office, Photoshop. Internet browsers, development programs such as Adobe. Hopefully that helps to specify what kind of programs will utilize CPU best.

I believe that on stock voltage you should be able to clock it upwards to 4.2Ghz with no problem. As long as you have a decent aftermarket cooler it should be all gravy. I've got an FX-8120 that i was able to clock at 4.2Ghz on stock voltage(1.28V) with all the power saving functions active like C1E, HPP, etc. The only thing i had to do is raise the limit of the power phasing to allow full utilization of power.