GTX 680 temp question

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Alright, so I've got my card stable OC'd with a +165/+600 clock using EVGA Precision X, everything runs smooth through multiple benchmarks.

I push it up slightly and I notice the default fan speeds aren't keeping the card cooled like it wants. As soon as the temps reach 70C BAM screen shuts off. No error message, just the sudden loss of image and seeming reboot of the screen that was taking place (Usually the temps will have dropped some in this time frame. Maybe to 65ishC.)

So I adjust the fan curve, to make it run at 50% minimum (It's silent when compared to my case fans until about 72% speed)

It works better, temps go up, but the fan ramps up with em. Still if the card ever hits 70C+ It'll shut off on me. Does this mean my OC is too high? Is 70C the max this card can go? And just how gradual should I set the fan curve? Should I keep it running at the max that I can stand? (Sound wise cause at 75%+ this thing sounds like it's gonna shoot out of my PC)

And is there any long term damage I can do to my card from running it at say, 70% fan speed indefinitely?

Any help/thoughts/info/whatever would be welcome! Thanks =D

Ironwilly

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Your overclock is not stable. The card itself will run much hotter than 75-80° C and should work just fine. In fact, it's normal to operate at these temps.

load-temp.png

smeg4brainsuk

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
+1. All cards are produced slightly differently and have different OC heads, your PC isn't restarting due to the heat (GPU's can run at 100c happily) but because pushing the card that little bit further is too much for the it.

+165 MHz is a more than acceptable OC for any card, let alone a reference card.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Hmm alright thanks =D, I guess what stumped me was more or less that the card seemed to base when it would crash on the temp (I mean I ran the fan at 85% and could exceed the stable benchmark through a number of heaven and 3dmark runs.) Yet if I leave the fan to auto adjust, it doesn't ramp up fast enough to keep the temp south of 70... And once it hits it, bam. Screen shuts off and benchmark stops.

Though I'm still not sure if my current custom curve is 'optimal' upping the base fan speed % has made the card stay much cooler.

Still curious if it'll affect the life of my GPU's fan though...