Just fried my USB controller (think so)

G

I think the background info can be reduced to the MB here.

ASUS A8N-SLI

Everything was working A1 OK for 6 months now until tonight when I plugged in the game port extension (I did unplug the PSU and I have discharged it) into the correct connector. No mistake there. Same color and one dead pin. nothing messed up right?

But nope. USB controller seems to have been fried. Smells like dead electrics for a mo.

Windoze tells me there is a power surge on the USB rail when I plug in any USB device.

Now (after BIOS reset) it doesn't recognize any USB devices anymore.

Sounds like a fried USB controller to me. But if any of you have had the same experience and know a solution......

*cryyyyyyyyyyy*

Beadan

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
Now that Sux! :) ... Your usb controler is located in you South Bridge... So if that went, it means a new motherboard or time to clame from warrnty... Why it happend, I'd need to take a look. Maby there's a short you don't know about. But ja, my oppinion, thats what warrnty's for. And they usualy let it go.

Karma he!

G

The strange thing about it is that windows is working as it should be... My guess is that with the additional device (gamepad) I finally pulled too much power at once. (I had several USB devices connected already)