Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes under 3D load

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2012 8:21:53 PM

Hello,

I've recently built a pc and whenever i try to load a recent game or use any software that is graphics intensive then the computer resets without BSOD. I'va already tried RMA ing the graphics card as i thought this to be the problem but it passed all the tests at overclockers. I've also recently replaced the RAM and the it still restarts.

Here are my Specs:

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU - Intel i7 2600K
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon 7970HD
Primary HD - Samsung 240GB SSD
RAM - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
PSU - Antec High Current Pro 750W
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

It just crashed and restarted as i wrote this message actually, which makes me feel like its overheating but the CPU has never nearly reached a high temp. I've had it tested in a couple of local computer shops and they both beleive the problem to be software related, one saying its a problem with my windows (which i've reinstalled alot of times now and fixed all the errors that occured in event viewer) and the other with my graphics drivers (which are all up to date).

I've been trying to fix this thing for a couple of months now and its driving me crazy, please help!

Thanks in advance

More about : computer crashes load

May 28, 2012 8:25:53 PM

try another graphics card .

try different connectors from the psu
Related resources
May 28, 2012 8:47:41 PM

Thanks for the quick replies,

@outlander, i havent got a spare graphics card to try and test it, but i've had the card tested and it passed all the tests so that should rule out the card, although not the drivers. I've also tried different cables from the psu but this doesnt solve the issue either.

@kelthic, i've tried the computer with different DIMMS and it still crashes but i havent run memtest yet, i'll try that now and post results thanks

Any other things i should try?
May 28, 2012 9:03:11 PM

I also notice that your psu has multiple 12v rails. Have you attempted to use different rails for the gpu or not? What might be happening is that you are drawing too much power off 1 rail and that is causing unreliable power to your system, and then the crash. worth a shot at least.
May 28, 2012 9:50:55 PM

Yeah i've tried playing around with the PSU setup previously, also running the hardrives/disc drives off of different rails. I'll try playing around with them again though after the memtest has finished as may as well make sure
!