Will a Coolermaster GX650W PSU fit in my Dell Inspiron 620MT?

InsanePotato1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello,
I have a Dell Inspiron 620MT, and I am looking to get a new PSU. I eventually settled on the Coolermaster GX650W. I did some measurements, and depth and height are good but the Coolermaster PSU is 0.5 cm wider than my current PSU. I think I have 0.5cm of free space inside the case but will the screws mount properly? The PSU in my PC at the moment is a standard ATX PSU. Thanks.

The GX650 was summarized by HardOCP as "a polished turd in a box," so you probably don't want it in your case. I'd suggest something built by Seasonic (their own, better Corsair, some Antec, or XFX), Antec, newer FSP, or Enermax / LEPA.

InsanePotato1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I read the review and that was before they switched manufacturers, supposedly they are decent nowadays with the bronze edition and such, and I don't have a lot of money atm

I had not read of any switch. In any case, CM PSUs are generally poor. If you post a budget and where you can buy, I'm sure we can find a better choice. Also describe your system; unless you're running multiple graphics cards, you probably don't need 650W, and if you are, you definitely don't want CM.

InsanePotato1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I can spend €100 and I can buy in Dublin, my friend has had this same PSU for a year and he's had no problems, I'm going to be running a single 7950 later on in the year

InsanePotato1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Here's some info on the switch
'We didn't review Coolermaster's older GX Series, but from what we heard/read their performance was not very impressive. As it seems this forced Coolermaster to take a big decision and change the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) from Seventeam to Enhance. Regardless the OEM change, in order to avoid confusion among the buyers, CM kept the same naming scheme adding only the “Bronze” word after the model name. So, for example, "GX-650W" became "GX-650 Bronze" and so on. Also, besides the upgraded efficiency all major characteristics like cable configuration and power specifications remained the same. '

Seasonic has some 520W models that would be ideal. A 550W Antec Truepower New should be in that range too, or a 650W Earthwatts.

Did that come from a competent technical review? If so where; I'd like to read it.

Of course, CM still puts liar-labels on some of their PSUs, and/or also lies about the presence of protection circuits on some. That's willful dishonesty, which should have consequences. I will not buy (nor recommend) ANY CM product, no matter how good, until they've cleaned up their act.

What are the dimensions of your current PSU?
If by standard ATX you mean 150x86x140 (WxHxD), then none of the PSUs mentioned so far are that size. Unless jtt283 was thinking of the Seasonic S12II Bronze 520 unit. Lower wattage Antec Earthwatts are also standard ATX size.

The SilverStone Strider Plus 500W ST50F-P is one of the few modular units that size.

XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition is that size as well.

The quotation InsanePotato1 provided comes from this review:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_Bronze/