Phenom ii x4 965 BE vs FX 8120

Which processor is better for gaming?
14 answers Last reply
More about phenom 8120
  1. fx8210 better than 965BE game and multitasking
  2. 8120 is a better route to go now. Overall either will game well.
  3. Phenom ii however is much better value for money, as it actually outperforms the fx in a few areas despite being much cheaper.

All in all, if you're looking for a quick cheap processor that gets the job done for the next one or two years then I would go with the Phenom ii.
    For long term investment then I would definitely choose Intel over AMD's FX processors, since their single-core performance is really not up to par.
  4. fchdog said:
    Phenom ii however is much better value for money, as it actually outperforms the fx in a few areas despite being much cheaper.

All in all, if you're looking for a quick cheap processor that gets the job done for the next one or two years then I would go with the Phenom ii.
    For long term investment then I would definitely choose Intel over AMD's FX processors, since their single-core performance is really not up to par.

I realize that intel is suprerior, but I'm on a sort of budget and I'm looking for something to bridge the gap between the 965/i3 2100 and the i5 3450. I had heard that the 965 actually performed better than the 8120 in gaming, so I wanted to make sure that if I went the amd route, I wouldn't be throwing away 50 bucks for the 8120. From the responses, it seems that while I'm not throwing it away, I'm not making the best use of it either.

I guess I'm just experimenting with different potential builds at this point. Either I go with an amd build thats a bit unbalanced (phenom 965 and gtx 670 OR fx 8120 and 7950 OC) or I get a more balanced intel build that would essentially be a dead end eventually since ivy bridge is the end of the 1155 sockets (i5 3470 and 7870 ghz edition)
  5. There is nothing wrong with a FX 8120, it is very versitile in that real world apps it is extremely fast in, while games are hit and miss there is a reason for that, most games are tailored towards Intel and Nvidia but that doesn't mean you won't get good performance.

If you are looking to fit a budget rather stick with a HD 7870 and a FX 8120 you should get solid peformance. Ultimately it is your choice but I know that many seem to think a Bulldozer just is a complete hopeless chip, which is so far from the truth.
  6. I would go with the Phenom personally.
    Its cheaper and outperforms the FX and doesn't have the multi-thread issues all in all I would say the Phenom is a much more solid chip to go with.
  7. i have x4 965 with XFX 7850 it do well in gaming and i play BF3 in some high and ultra i also have 8GB DDR3 if i was you with budget i will go x4
  8. wake4x4ptball said:
    i have x4 965 with XFX 7850 it do well in gaming and i play BF3 in some high and ultra i also have 8GB DDR3 if i was you with budget i will go x4

??? in BF3 you should be able to play with all the settings set to Ultra w/o AA.

I can play BF3 all Ultra settings @1920x1080 w/ 50+ FPS
  9. actually i havent change in video setting and i leave it on default and i will check setting and adjust to see if any different

can you screenshot your video setting of BF3 and PIM me?
  10. Overall you'll not notice any difference in gaming between the two. In few multi-player situations (BF3/MMO instances) the FX will do better but, but if the game isn't optimized for more than two cores the Phenom will probably be a bit faster, but we're just talking about a few FPS give or take between them in most circumstances. That $50 difference between the two would be better spent on a more powerful GPU if gaming is your main concern.
  11. wow nice i will try do that tonight and see

thanks
  12. your welcome
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Processors Phenom