Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I am looking at a system and was wondering what you thought and any suggestions you might have for me before I decide to purchase it.
Thanks ahead for any input on this system. Cheers!

Intel Core i7 3.4 GAMER

Corsair 650D Mid Tower case
750 watt Antec Power Supply
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
Intel Ci7 3.4 GHz 1366 8 MB Cache
8 GB DDR3 Corsair RAM (PC1600)
60GB SSD Corsair Force3 2.5 inch SATA
Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA Drive 7200RPM 64MB
Blu-Ray Combo drive (DVD Burner Blu-Ray)
1XNVIDIA ASUS GTX570
1HDMI, 2DVI, 1Display Port
2xIntegrated 10-100-1000 LAN Port
6x USB 2.0 Ports 2xUSB 3.0 Ports
1xFirewire
8 Channel Integrated High Definition Sound
2 Piece Stereo Speakers w-Sub
Rat 7 Mouse and Razar Anansi Keyboard Set
Windows 7 Ultimate 64X
3 year Parts and Labour Depot Warranty
27 inch ASUS VE278Q

$2399.99 Canadian :pt1cable:

Now I was thinking on upgrading to the GEFORCE GTX 680 but I read somewhere that its not compatible with this board.
What better board should I get
No water cooling - should there be....

Solution
G
WOAH!
that is a lot, about $600 more than if you built it yourself. really an i7 isn't nessary unless your video encoding or 3d rendering in a CAD program. i'm still looking at that and cannot understand why they charge more to NOT overclock it for you :p

look at this, an i5 and if you get the munchkin 120gig ssd and 670 options:
http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=42A78BDA-ED82-4DE5-BAEF7970D18964F6-4227537

it is half the price and will game just as well except for the 670 is compared to the 680. the 670 is a better bang for the buck.
G

HUH?!?
what idiot wrote that?

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
This is a minor issue and I really don't want to look up the articles this is proven in, but Intel i7s are actually slightly worse when playing games than an i5. If its an option to get an i5 rather than the i7 go for it, but if not I really don't think you will every notice a larger performance difference either way.

zakattak80

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

he's buying new everything. keyboard, mouse 27 inch screan

G

why would i want to chase after ignorance. there are plenty of folks here that have the 680 and a z68 motherboard that have no problems . . . .

oh i did notice
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
Intel Ci7 3.4 GHz 1366 8 MB Cache
a 1366 processor is not compatible with a socket 1155 board. look for a sandy or ivy bridge processor :)

Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

This is a brand new computer with brand new parts and everything is warranted for 3 years, not one year. (Parts and Labour)
I priced each component from NCIX website and if I bought each component separately the price would be approx. $200.00 more but with only a 1 year warranty.
These are Canadian prices don't forget. And don't forget, it includes 27 inch monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.
Thanks for your post otherwise. ;)

Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

Sorry loonian, I meant I could find the article for you, not you look for it.
But I believe what your saying is the GTX680 will work with this z68 board, correct?
Also I am not really up on all this technical PC stuff so what your saying now is this Intel Ci7 3.4 1366 processor is not compatible on this z68 board?
This info came off their flyer. Which ivy bridge processor would you recommend dude? Thanks eh

G

ah no worries, i have been watching several discussions here on THG and have not seen anyone having a problem with their Z68/GTX6xx set ups.
if you looking at gaming an i5-3550 (quadcore no overclock) would be fine. if you want to try and get a little more bang for your buck a i5-3570K (quadcore that can overclock) and overclock it up to 4.4 without getting any heat issues.

an i7 is really overkill for gaming; games do not make use of the hyper threading that a more expensive i7 has. it does do well in video encoding and 3D rendering where the threading is used.

a sandy bridge i5 is still a good processor. it may not perform as well as an ivy bridge but it is not affected by the "thermal dissipation" problem an ivy bridge has and can overclock better to even things out. plus it is slightly" cheaper.

the difference between an ivy and sandy is the ivy "natively" support 1600 RAM whereas a sandy can support it but you need to change the timings in the BIOS. also the ivy has PCI 3.0 support though through benchmarking it is shown to make no difference in the performance of PCI 3.0 graphic cards. also a pci 3.0 card is backwards compatible with pci 2.0 motherboard slot.

if you want to think about "future proofing"; the ivy bridge is newer and has a few more features but those features haven't really been taken advantage of . . .yet. and really might be a long time before they are.

so if you do want good performance without breaking the bank a sandy bridge is still good but if you want the latest and like the "new car smell" than an ivy is a great choice.

later if you want we can discuss the differences between a sandy and ivy bridge motherboards. which really boils down to differences similarly as in the cpus - RAM timings, native pci 3.0 support and a few different bells and whistles.

G

WOAH!
that is a lot, about $600 more than if you built it yourself. really an i7 isn't nessary unless your video encoding or 3d rendering in a CAD program. i'm still looking at that and cannot understand why they charge more to NOT overclock it for you :p

look at this, an i5 and if you get the munchkin 120gig ssd and 670 options:
http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc_new/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=42A78BDA-ED82-4DE5-BAEF7970D18964F6-4227537

it is half the price and will game just as well except for the 670 is compared to the 680. the 670 is a better bang for the buck.

Solution

Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I know eh, lots of coin. I like your suggestion on this one . The price comes to around $1500 + taxes and so I have a room for some of the extras.
What do you think, maybe a better power supply, in case I want to add maybe a second VC sometime? How about overclocking this unit a little?
Should I get the Ivy Bridge unlocked processor? I am getting excited! LOL :bounce:

G

that power supply is fine for how it is. but you might want to get the 750 it will give you a whole lot of room to get another graphics card. it is not about the watts but the amount of PCI power connections. the 620 has the power but 2 pci connections where as the 750 has 4 pci power connections.

any of the "K" processors are overclockable. i find it funny that they charge you NOT to overclock it for you. if you get the cheaper, already overclocked, you can change it later if you want to increase the speed.

i am glad you liked what i found, it really seems like a better deal. i would like to suggest you make sure they know to put the OS windows on the SSD (you going with 120 right?) and not have it as a cache. it will make it faster.

Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
OK..........HERE IT ALL IS FOR....... $1,713.00 Let me know if I missed something, LOL

1 x Intel Core i5 3570K Quad Core Processor Overclocked to 4GHZ NCIXPC Vesta OC -ONLY-
1 x Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3
1 x Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard
1 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 16GB 2X8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
1 x GeForce GTX 670 2GB GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E 3.0
1 x Fractal Design Arc MIDI Tower Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Fan Controller & Front USB3
1 x Seasonic M12II 850W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply PFC 80+ Bronze Modular 8PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan
1 x Fractal Design Silent Series 120MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 1000RPM 38.3CFM 15DBA W/ Rubber Fasteners
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM
Please note that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit only supports up to 16GB of RAM.
1 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM
1 x * Please Set The SSD AS Boot Drive - 60GB or Higher IS Recommended
1 x Free Upgrade to 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD With First 50 NCIX PC Vesta 5350 OC Mkii Systems Sold
1 x LG GH24NS90 24X SATA Internal DVD Writer Burner DVDRW M-DISC Compatible Optical Drive Black OEM
1 x nGear Flash Card Reader 3.5IN Internal USB Black CF/SM/SDHC/MMC/MS/XD 18IN Cable
1 x Please Use The Onboard Sound Card Integrated On My Motherboard
1 x D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N Triple Antenna PCI Adapter
1 x Premium PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
Includes extra attention to cabling, lighting installation and extra burn-in period. Recommended for windowed cases.
1 x Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support
Please note that Extended Service plans with On-Site service are available for your system at check-out.

1 x NCIX.COM ESP 1 Year Extended Service Plan for Desktop PCs

G

you can knock off $100 by getting
8 gigs of RAM instead of 16; for gaming you will hardly ever go over 5.5 gigs being used.
and the 750 watt PSU instead of the 850; even putting in another graphics card later will still have enough.

BUT you didn't miss anything. :)

Mingomya

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
OK....LOL....I'll do both of those suggestions and I am going to order it right now.
Yahoo..!!!!........thanks so much for all your great advice looniam. I think it's a great choice of a Gaming PC. And I am 55 years old by the way, LOL
Your a Gentleman and a Scholar!
I'll let you know how it is on this same post sometime soon. Cheers to ya! :hello: