Whats the best nvidia graphics card for battlefield 3

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
hi there
I just bought battlefield 3 and it doesnt work on my computer... comes up with a directx error
"directx function device creat texture...........make sure you have a supported graphics card with at least 512 mb" Thinking that my intel (r) HD graphic family with almost 2 gig would provide me with more than enough but how sadly i was mistaken.
My next question with what series nvidia graphics with a size of about 2 gig also can i purchase so i can play BF3? what is the best one other than the recommended versions of the box?

Memory of the graphics card doesn't mean anything: the GPU does. Vendors list their cards at having 2 GB memory, despite it being useless because the card is too weak to use it. Even 5 years old 8600 GT with 256 MB of memory would have two - three times more performance than your integrated intel HD.

You need to post your full specs of the computer and your budget for upgrading it, before we can help.

GPU is abbreviation of Graphics processing unit. Just a name for graphics card.

You can get ALMOST all info from dxdiag.. make sure to screenshot both tabs of "System" and "Display":
dxdiagw.png

You'll also have to open your PC case and take a photo of your power supply. That's the only way of finding what kind of it you have. If you cannot take photo for some reason, make sure to write down ALL the specs it has written on it.

Power supply is a box that looks like this:
Power-Supply-Unit.jpg

Once you take the pictures, you can upload them to www.imageshack.us. Just make sure to select the option not to resize the images!

The most determining factor of the graphics card that you can buy is your power supply. For the card to work, the power supply has to be adequate. And I am not talking about wattage - I need to know the brand, the model and full specs to help you.

Also, please take a screenshot of the first tab of DXDIAG too. I has important info in it.

llguitargr8

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
To play Battlefield 3, you DEFINITELY need a dedicated graphics card.

Right now, from nvidia at a budget of $300, your best bet is to get a GeForce GTX 560 Ti http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130657

In probably April, nvidia is releasing the rest of its new line of graphics cards, the Geforce GTX 600 series. The 660 Ti is supposed to have equivalent performance to the currently more expensive GTX 580, and will cost around the same as the current GTX 560 Ti.

But as said before, power supply is also important. Also, it could help to know what motherboard you have and what case you are using.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Intel graphic family means you must be running at least an Intel gen 1 or gen 2 Core CPU processor. Look at the label on the PSU and what do the numbers say, EXACTLY.
They will list V3.3 v5 V+12 and V-12 as well as A(mps) under each V. Also need the name of the psu.
You can download a free program to give the name of your motherboard and some other info. www.piriform.com/speccy

llguitargr8

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012

This is true.

hotthree

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Need a lot more info:

Monitor Size:
Power Supply wattage:
Computer Make/Model:

Budget: $300 (thats all we have so far)

The more information you can provide david the more we can help. Obviously if we ask for your SS# don't do that but dang if we ask about your power supply we need to know.

If you don't then people here will give bad info and you'll waste your time and money. And our Time.

You can get a more then adequate psu for $30-60 from a good brand.

yea dude, if you want a clean and healthy system a good power supply is recommended with a new GPU!, if you don't care about maxing the game out.....just buy a 7750, requires no external power and can run bf3 pretty decent....

or

a GTX 650 when its out!

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg5 [...] res=medium is the first tab of dxdiag just click on link

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Ideally id like to get something with the same memory but that might stretch the budget.. not to mention the power supply

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

how do you get the make and model is using dxdiag??

You can't. You need to physically open your case and take a picture of it.

Also, there's no point in getting a card that has more than 1GB of VRAM, except if you're using higher resolution than 1920x1080.

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

It seems to me that i have already a 2 gig graphics on my computer already why couldnt i just replace it with a similar size card... yes disabling the onboard card first using bios or equivalent

david_72

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

just looking at GTX 560 Ti.. so much info about the specs.... to be honest alot of it doesnt make sense
but am grateful for the advice