Which is the best card??? 1GB or 512MB?

pradert

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
hiiiii,
i want to know what is the difference of 1GB and 512MB graphx card??? which is the best gard to play latest games? 1GB or 512MB???

Today's games want 1GB really.
Having said that a lot depends on what cards we are talking about ?

Mactronix :)

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
There's a lot more to GPUs than memory. The main spec are the stream processors. The more, the better. For example: a 1gb 9800gt (112 processors) is worse than a 768mb GTX460 (336 processors). The only thing memory helps for is gaming at bigger resolutions, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, the type of memory is really important (from worst to best: DDR2, GDDR3, GDDR5).

if both gfx cards have the same gpu, generally the 1gb card would be preferable.
for gaming, 1gb cards with strong enough gpu would be enough for gaming at 1920x1080 resolution and lower. larger vram helps in using higher gfx quality e.g. anti aliasing, also in multi gpu combinations like crossfirex and sli.
which two cards are you comparing?
what are your pc's full specs including psu and gaming resolution?
if you haven't bought the cards yet, what is your budget for the gfx cards?
i assume you're talking about two old cards, in that case you'll need a more modern card with strong gpu for pc gaming.

A few games play better at 16x10 with 1 GB but for the most part that's the breaking point for 512MB versus 1GB. The number of pixels to be drawn increases 28%+ from 16x10 to 19x10, and it's a lot faster loading textures and such from VRAM as to loading from the system.

There's more to a graphics card's performance than just the amount of RAM. I would take a Radeon HD 6670 512MB card over a Radeon HD 6450 2GB card any day of the week.