PC to Samsung LED / HDMI-HDMI resolution problem

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Resolution
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2012 12:06:54 PM

Hello, I've searched the forums (and the rest of the web) quite extensively and I don't see a problem quite like this one. But that's not to say the answer is right under my nose. :)  I'm attempting to connect my PC to my new Samsung LED tv via HDMI-HDMI. Essentially it works (audio and video) but I can tell the resolution is off/cropped by just a little bit. "A little bit = a few dozen pixels".

To explain the anomaly better, and as quickly as possible, I connect the 2 and the TV says it sees a 1920x1080 source and my PC echos this resolution automatically. However, if I maximize a window on the TV I can only see the bottom couple of pixels of the "minimize" and "maximize" window buttons and the 'X' close button is missing completely. This "cropping" appears to be uniform on all 4 sides of the TV.

The problem: this cropping seems to make DVD/BD video playback grainy/fuzzy. Not horrible, but definitely not desirable, plus it's cropping the full image which would normally be visible via other playback methods.
Colors appear to be fine, as does the brightness. My ultimate desire is to use this PC as a quazi-HTPC ("quazi" because it will still be used for work too).

Troubleshooting done:
- 2x different HDMI cables (1x 6' & 1x 50') both with the exact same result (6' cable is normally used to connect my Xbox360 to this TV, and DVD playback via the Xbox is correct and much higher quality).
- Connected via all 4 HDMI ports on the TV.
- Change resolution frequency - 60, 50 and 30 and 25Hz - TV is UK-oriented, e.g., I thought 50 or 25Hz would be best. All frequencies resulted in minimal changes.
- Have NOT connected via DVI->VGA as this computer will normally live 40-45' away from the TV.

Comments: I suspect there is a simple setting I'm missing/overlooking. The TV doesn't have a "size/orientation" calibration menu like many monitors do (which is the first thing I looked for). And I'm not seeing anything similar in the Catalyst Control Center on the PC side. Sorry if this is a noob setting I'm overlooking. Any insight is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

PC:
Xeon X5570
18GB RAM (3x 2GB & 3x 4GB - I use lots of VMs in VM Workstation :)  )
ASUS P6T (Intel x58 chipset)
ATI/AMD Radeon HD5770 (latest standard-release drivers installed)

TV:
Samsung EU40D7000L

More about : samsung led hdmi hdmi resolution problem

Best solution

March 28, 2012 1:38:32 PM

Most TV's (not monitors) have what is called "overscan", where the edges of the picture are extended past the actual edges of the screen. This is done to insure that there are no black edges seen on the screen. In most TV applications, this makes no real difference, however, inPC applications, it means that you have lost information normally visible on the screen edges. There should be an adjustment where this can be corrected on the TV.
March 28, 2012 1:54:07 PM

I would agree with clarkjd, there should be an aspect ratio adjustment of some sort. My crapy Sanyo has is on the remote. However I use the DVI/VGA input and dont have any issues.
Score
Related resources
March 28, 2012 2:00:28 PM

Mostly, I now see the "noob/under-my-nose" answer. DOH. For this TV it's dubbed "picture size". Automatic presets for stretching/shrinking the picture. I've never needed to use this before, but it does resolve the cropping issue. Thank you, clarkjd! Feel a bit silly for this one...

However, this picture is very grainy still. Looking at it again (1st time since this weekend), it's much grainier/distorted than just an Xbox playing a DVD... actually even more grainy than watching a film on Netflix/Love Film on-demand. (Tho it is better than VHS)
Is my video card just not up to it? Time to upgrade it? Or do I need to fold up the idea of multi-purposing this system and just fork out for an HTPC?

Thanks again!
Score
March 28, 2012 2:04:09 PM

price_th said:
I would agree with clarkjd, there should be an aspect ratio adjustment of some sort. My crapy Sanyo has is on the remote. However I use the DVI/VGA input and dont have any issues.

price_th - you're right. And I do suspect that VGAmight fix the problem (TV only has a VGA port). However, since the TV is going to be so far from the PC, that connection won't be good for the long haul (VGA is only good for a few FT, right?).

Again, thanks for the quick feedback.
Score
March 28, 2012 3:20:23 PM

psaus said:
Mostly, I now see the "noob/under-my-nose" answer. DOH. For this TV it's dubbed "picture size". Automatic presets for stretching/shrinking the picture. I've never needed to use this before, but it does resolve the cropping issue. Thank you, clarkjd! Feel a bit silly for this one...

However, this picture is very grainy still. Looking at it again (1st time since this weekend), it's much grainier/distorted than just an Xbox playing a DVD... actually even more grainy than watching a film on Netflix/Love Film on-demand. (Tho it is better than VHS)
Is my video card just not up to it? Time to upgrade it? Or do I need to fold up the idea of multi-purposing this system and just fork out for an HTPC?

Thanks again!

Are you using the native resolution of your TV? for example if it is(as I suspect)1920x1080, and you are using some other different resolution, then the picture will be of lesser quality than the TV is capable of delivering, as it will have to 'scale' the other resolution up (or down) to 1920x1080.

Check what resolution your graphics card is using, and make sure that it matches the native resolution of your TV.
Score
March 28, 2012 4:15:36 PM

What clarkjd said :D 

I'd suggest getting onto your PC and checking the output options. Resolution, color settings, that kind of thing. Same goes for the TV, actually. It's possible that it has some funky settings enabled like that overscan stuff.
Score
March 28, 2012 5:19:34 PM

Thank you all for your quick replies here.
@clarkjd yes 1920x1080 is the native for my TV; popup tells me the current resolution when I change inputs, and says exactly that between Sky+Box, my BD player and Xbox360. ForAccording to AMD/ATI this GPU will support dual streams of 1080p. Though I can't find explicit writing stating 1920x1080 support, I do find a MAX support stated as 1920x1200 via HDMI.

Something is just not quite right. I'm not desperate to make this work, and I've asked a couple other forums in parallel, with virtually the same responses. And in my 20-someodd-years experience supporting/building systems when you find something annoying like this, just walk away or else get :fou: 
So now I've now got enough evidence for my wife to justify the cost of a dedicated HTPC!

Again thank you all very much for your kind help!
:hello: 
Score
March 28, 2012 5:20:48 PM

Best answer selected by psaus.
Score
March 28, 2012 5:37:26 PM

Well you get signal degredation on HDMI over long distances.

You might want to buy an HDMI to Ethernet (CAT 5 or 6) kit, make sure it's powered.

Otherwise you should probably just stream your movies from your PC to your Xbox.
Score
March 28, 2012 6:30:47 PM

wolfram23 said:
Well you get signal degredation on HDMI over long distances.

You might want to buy an HDMI to Ethernet (CAT 5 or 6) kit, make sure it's powered.

Otherwise you should probably just stream your movies from your PC to your Xbox.

I didn't think that was possible given that HDMI is digital - it either works or it doesn't. None the less, that was one of the reasons why I tried my 6' cable too (that was fun; unplugging my system and moving everything across the room - wife and dog weren't amused. :)  ). Unfortunately the 6' cable and the 50' cable results in the exact same experience. Tis strange...
I might have access to an ethernet kit though, if I ask my boss nice enough. Could be worth a try. I'll update here should my boss feel nice enough to loan one. Thanks for that, wolfram23, didn't think of that route.
Score
March 28, 2012 6:57:54 PM

I've been looking into this kind of stuff lately. My PC is on the other side of the room from my TV and receiver. I've been streaming over my PS3 for a while, but it doesn't play .mkv files and whenever I had to convert a video, besides wasting 1-2 hours, I'd lose the multichannel audio.

I discovered PS3 Media Server, which is the best thing ever! Well, the best features of it are that it can convert video on the fly, and it can pass through DTS and Dolby Digital signals. Makes life so much easier.

I'm not sure if it works for Xbox though. Still, might be your cheapest option to buy a PS3 as it has Blu Ray as well.
EDIT: Actually depending on the TV, you might be able to stream directly to the TV.

http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/03/best-way-to-stream...

Just one other thing, I plugged my PC into my TV once and I thought the image looked like ***, although I don't think that "grainy" would describe it, more like blurry.
Score
March 28, 2012 9:28:03 PM

@wolfram23 - getting slightly offtopic, but here we go

Familiar with some of these streaming solutions. 1st, I don't want to buy a PS3... mainly for personal reasons against Sony. But we won't get into that now - more over I am not trying to stoke the fire against Sony-lovers. :) 
None the less, I have found a great solution called MyMovies for the Xbox to stream (not to just Xbox) as well as a great collection management solution. But one of the biggest selling of points is an on-the-fly transcode of DVD-quality with passthrough audio which works great 9 out of 10 views. But it's that 1:10 ratio where it crashes which is upsetting me and looking toward something more stable/proper. Plus FF/RW doesn't work in that transcode method (though it's suppose to). For it to work properly, I don't want to transcode ahead of time for proper HD. I prefer to have my VOBs for home, and then transcoding for portable devices on the fly (wife, kids, me... too many different pieces of hardware to store them native - easier to store VOBs and convert mobile on the fly)

So, if I get an HTPC running WinXP or greater, then this MyMovies will work 100%. There are other bonuses as well (games, proper internet @ the TV, etc), but in the spirit of not going off topic too much, I'll leave it at that.

One piece of hardware I've got my eye on:
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.asp?Model=CoreHT%...

Fly killing bazooka, maybe... but I think it's what I want. :pt1cable: 

Not done shopping tho... so we'll see.
Score
March 28, 2012 10:31:24 PM

Cool. Sounds like MyMovies is quite similar to the PS3 Media Server program, then. Transcoding on the fly is awesome.

However, I guess for me it's easy as I just leave my PC on while I'm at home anyway, so it's no big deal. But yeah I know there's good reasons for an HTPC. I was considering building one but this is working for me quite well now.
Score
July 18, 2012 4:47:38 AM

Same issue using HDMI on any TV/monitor w/AMD Radeon. VGA is fine at 1920 x 1080 without distortion but when using HDMI it is grainy at resolutions greater than 1680 x 1050. Suggestions?

ASRock A75M
Win7x64

If I knew how to attach screenshots of the distortion I would.
Score
July 31, 2012 6:23:00 PM

Hey tslo, I am having the exact same issue. Samsung 22" via HDMI to a ASRock Vision 3D with Nvidia Ge420 Graphics.

Did you solve this?
Score
July 31, 2012 6:24:14 PM

tslo said:
Same issue using HDMI on any TV/monitor w/AMD Radeon. VGA is fine at 1920 x 1080 without distortion but when using HDMI it is grainy at resolutions greater than 1680 x 1050. Suggestions?

ASRock A75M
Win7x64

If I knew how to attach screenshots of the distortion I would.

Hey tslo, I am having the exact same issue. Samsung 22" via HDMI to a ASRock Vision 3D with Nvidia Ge420 Graphics.

Did you solve this?
Score
July 31, 2012 7:14:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!