Long Term Digital Storage

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
July 15, 2005 8:51:13 PM

I'm planning a nine week trip to Germany in the fall, and want to take an
Olympus Camedia with me as a pocket camera of sorts (I will probably also
take a film SLR). I take lots of pictures and I need a way to download and
store pictures.

My husband who has a Sony digital camera, uses a hard drive he can just plug
his memory sticks into, but I've been unable to find one that I can just plug
my Olympus cards into.

Anyone know of one?

--
Julie
**********

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:51:13 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
<jholm@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>I'm planning a nine week trip to Germany in the fall, and want to take an
> with me as a pocket camera of sorts (I will probably also
>take a film SLR). I take lots of pictures and I need a way to download and
>store pictures.
>
>My husband who has a Sony digital camera, uses a hard drive he can just plug
>his memory sticks into, but I've been unable to find one that I can just plug
>my Olympus cards into.
>
>Anyone know of one?

This unit should do it.

http://www.phidong.com/archives/000405.php

http://www.compactdrive.com/product.php?p=specs

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
July 15, 2005 10:46:58 PM

There is also ....

http://www.vosonic.co.uk/

which are at the lower end of the pricing scale whilst still offering an xD
card reader for Olympus (quite rare, I think). I was thinking of getting one
myself - let me know what you think of them if you buy one <g>.

--
Paul ============}
o o

// Live fast, die old //
PaulsPages and galleries are at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/
July 16, 2005 12:39:05 AM

Hi Julie

There are some solutions, the best of them are either expensive, either
heavy.

I use the "heavy" solution. I travel with my laptop, so every night I empty
my "memories" there (and I have more than 3 Gb flash cards).

The best but expensive solution is to buy a portable hard disk with the
appropriate interface. IPod have a model that can download photos and have a
monitor also, but I believe that it may be in the 400-500 euro. As far as I
know, there is no solution of this type under 300 euros. Nikon also have a
nice solution that have USB2 and CF ports. Other cards can be served via
adaptors to CF (Compact Flash)
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0401/04012802nikoncoolwalk...
http://www.pictureline.com/images/pdf/coolwalker_2p.pdf
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html

If you not take to many photos, you can buy more cards, especially if your
Camedia can accept CF cards that are not so expensive as xD. CF 2Gb costs
under 180 euros an can hold about 800 photos of 7Mpix of the best quality.

If you look for the cheapest way, this is to take your card to a digital
minilab and ask to transfer your photos to a CD, so that way you can empty
your card when needed.
--
Dimitris M

Ï "Juliana L Holm" news:D b8pi1$3aas$1@osf1.gmu.edu...

> I'm planning a nine week trip to Germany in the fall, and want to take an
> Olympus Camedia with me as a pocket camera of sorts (I will probably also
> take a film SLR). I take lots of pictures and I need a way to download
and
> store pictures.
>
> My husband who has a Sony digital camera, uses a hard drive he can just
plug
> his memory sticks into, but I've been unable to find one that I can just
plug
> my Olympus cards into.
>
> Anyone know of one?
>
> --
> Julie
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:39:06 AM

I already have a 40 GB iPod photo. It has no interface that I know of
for my camera, but that may be my best option.

Has anyone used an iPod to store photos in this way>

Thanks Dimitris,

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:45:40 AM

As I see now, there is a solution for iPod. Read the article I have send you
before
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html for "Belkin Media
Reader". Even if the reader does not directly support xD, there are xD to CF
adapters in the market.
--
Dimitris M
Anonymous

Thanks, Dimitris,

Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I have
read that the transfer pretty much totally exhauts both camera and iPod.

I'm going to try the iPod first, but I am keeping the info on other options
for myself in case it proves less than ideal. I don't leave till September
29, so I have some time to work this out.

I thank everyone who responded.

--
Julie
**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:45:41 AM

Dimitris M <nospam@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:

> As I see now, there is a solution for iPod. Read the article I have send
> you before http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/oct/16ipod.html for
> "Belkin Media Reader". Even if the reader does not directly support xD,
> there are xD to CF adapters in the market.

Apple also makes a thing called the iPod Camera Connector, which serves
this function. It's basically a USB port for your iPod which will
connect to your media reader or camera.

Unfortunately (for me, at least), it can't deal with RAW files, and
might not even transfer them for storage. I can't find any information
one way or the other on this.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:22:55 AM

> Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I
have
> read that the transfer pretty much totally exhauts both camera and iPod.

Julie, the USB interface of iPod is TO the PC. Also the Camedia interface is
TO the PC. I don't believe that 2 USB apparatus can be connected in between.
So be careful.

Regards.
--
Dimitris M dioltt@ath.forthnet.gr
(áöáéñÝóôå ôï äéðëü ôÜö áðï ôçí äéåýèõíóç)

Juliana L Holm wrote:
> I'm planning a nine week trip to Germany in the fall, and want to take an
> Olympus Camedia with me as a pocket camera of sorts (I will probably also
> take a film SLR). I take lots of pictures and I need a way to download and
> store pictures.
>
> My husband who has a Sony digital camera, uses a hard drive he can just plug
> his memory sticks into, but I've been unable to find one that I can just plug
> my Olympus cards into.
>
> Anyone know of one?

I am not sure that current media is adequate for the extended time you
will be on your trip. Germany is well equipped with places to copy your
flash card data to CD's, which you can then either carry with you, or
mail home.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

This is for you:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/compatibility/cameraconnector...
--
Dimitris M

> Thanks, Dimitris,
>
> Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I
have
> read that the transfer pretty much totally exhauts both camera and iPod.
>
> I'm going to try the iPod first, but I am keeping the info on other
options
> for myself in case it proves less than ideal. I don't leave till
September
> 29, so I have some time to work this out.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:52:58 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:22:59 -0500, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>Juliana L Holm wrote:
>> I'm planning a nine week trip to Germany in the fall, and want to take an
>> Olympus Camedia with me as a pocket camera of sorts (I will probably also
>> take a film SLR). I take lots of pictures and I need a way to download and
>> store pictures.
>>
>> My husband who has a Sony digital camera, uses a hard drive he can just plug
>> his memory sticks into, but I've been unable to find one that I can just plug
>> my Olympus cards into.
>>
>> Anyone know of one?
>>
>I am not sure that current media is adequate for the extended time you
>will be on your trip.

I'm curious about what you mean here.
What media won't hold pictures for a few weeks?
Or are you saying none are big enough to hold a few weeks' worth of
photos?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

On 2005/7/15 6:22 PM, "Dimitris M" <nospam@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote:

>> Also the iPod has a USB interface, and the Camedia has a USB cable. I
> have
>> read that the transfer pretty much totally exhauts both camera and iPod.
>
> Julie, the USB interface of iPod is TO the PC. Also the Camedia interface is
> TO the PC. I don't believe that 2 USB apparatus can be connected in between.

Apple sells a device called the iPod Camera Connector that allows transfers
from a digital camera directly to the iPod through a USB cable. It does
require that both deices be powered on for the transfer so it can use up the
battery charge. See http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/accessories.html for
more info. At $29.00, it is reasonably priced.

Belkin also has an iPod accessory called the Media Reader that allows
transfer from a memory card into the iPod. That may be more convenient in
that it does not tie up the camera during the transfer.
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:23:25 PM

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
>>Juliana L Holm wrote:
>>I am not sure that current media is adequate for the extended time you
>>will be on your trip.

> I'm curious about what you mean here.
> What media won't hold pictures for a few weeks?
> Or are you saying none are big enough to hold a few weeks' worth of
> photos?

As my pics are 4 megapixels most of the time, I think my 30 GB iPod will do it
(my music library and existing home photos take up only about 5 GB of the drive)

Julie

>>Germany is well equipped with places to copy your
>>flash card data to CD's, which you can then either carry with you, or
>>mail home.

This is an option, too.
--
Julie
**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:23:26 PM

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:23:25 +0000 (UTC), Juliana L Holm
<jholm@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
>>>Juliana L Holm wrote:
>>>I am not sure that current media is adequate for the extended time you
>>>will be on your trip.
>
>> I'm curious about what you mean here.
>> What media won't hold pictures for a few weeks?
>> Or are you saying none are big enough to hold a few weeks' worth of
>> photos?
>
>As my pics are 4 megapixels most of the time, I think my 30 GB iPod will do it
>(my music library and existing home photos take up only about 5 GB of the drive)
>
>Julie

OK, then what were you saying?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:28:16 PM

Paul Mitchum <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote:
> Apple also makes a thing called the iPod Camera Connector, which serves
> this function. It's basically a USB port for your iPod which will
> connect to your media reader or camera.

> Unfortunately (for me, at least), it can't deal with RAW files, and
> might not even transfer them for storage. I can't find any information
> one way or the other on this.

This is what I ordered. I'm not a professional photographer, and I use a
4 megapixel camera and jpg format right now. (when I replace my film SLR with
a digital SLR I'll worry about raw formats, but now when I'm taking a "big"
picture, I use the film camera.)

I read some reviews and the only bad thing they said about it was that it eats
a lot of battery from both the iPod and the Camera. I have a spare camera
battery and can live without the iPod for a while, so I think it will work
for me, the card reader had some other issues, per the reviews.

I will let you all know what I think.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Check out the blog of my 9 week Germany adventure at www.blurty.com/users/jholm
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 9:34:26 PM

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> wrote:
>>> I'm curious about what you mean here.
>>> What media won't hold pictures for a few weeks?
>>> Or are you saying none are big enough to hold a few weeks' worth of
>>> photos?
>>
>>As my pics are 4 megapixels most of the time, I think my 30 GB iPod will do it
>>(my music library and existing home photos take up only about 5 GB of the drive)
>>
>>Julie

> OK, then what were you saying?

Actually I wasn't saying anything. Someone else said that the media wouldn't be
sufficient for my needs, and yet another person said that they did not under-
stand what the first person said, and asked for the clarification.

What I was saying was that since I have a 30GB ipod, and take only 4 mega-
pixel pictures with the digital camera, that I think it will be sufficient.

Does that clarify it?

Julie

--
Julie