Cpu cooler on intel asrock z77 extreme 4

rocker_90

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,
can any one tel
which cpu cooler i can use in elite 430 case without removing top fan(both) other than hyper evo or plus(i don't want them i need
any other high end cpu cooler)

details
i7-3770k
asrock z77 extrem4
elite 430

plz help me to select cooler master products
tpc 812
v6
v6gt
hyper 412 slim :sarcastic:

Solution

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Just get this, and you're pretty much good to go. I highly recommend it. It would be a much better buy than Hyper 212+ or 212 EVO.
It will cool your 3770K just fine (up to 4.2GHz, temps are little bit higher at 4.4+GHz though, but it's not the cooler's fault) and it's noise is quite low (almost inaudible even at full load).

Solution

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You are wrong.
It is a low-profile that can fit perfectly into an HTPC/mini-ITX case, but that doesn't mean that you can't use it in a mid-tower/full-tower case. It will work just fine in those too.

It is indeed a better option performance-wise, but only that.
Considering that it's the "size * performance : price" case in here, IMHO, NH-L12 would be still a better option, that's why I didn't recommend higher models (even though I could).

I wasn't saying you couldn't use it for a Mid-tower/Full-tower case, I was stating it's a little bit silly getting something that was intended for Low-Profile scenarios (quite small, not a lot of surface area, i.e, not the best cooling performance) in a case that is quite capable of fitting a larger and much better cooler.

If that's the case, then here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103100&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Cheaper than the NH-L12 and it performs roughly the same if not better :) It also has more surface area while maintaining a small form factor.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Performs roughly the same
Depends on a particular CPU, but actually - nope, it's worse in most cases.
I test tons of different hardware on a daily basis and I know what I'm talking about. NH-L12's better than "Gemini II" by a 8/2 ratio (where NH-L12 wins 8 rounds out of 10).

if not better

Emphasize on "if not", really. Because it's not.

Thank you for enlightening me in that case :) But what CPU did you test with those coolers and by how much did the Noctua win by?

But taking into consideration OP won't be able to OC further than around 4.3Ghz with ANY of these coolers, I don't think that this "winning" or "losing" factor matters here.

On a side note, if OP's case allowed and if he had a budget of around $~80 for a cooler, I would've recommended either the NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow :lol:

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

On that I agree, but not entirely.

If OP's case allowed (and if he had a budget of around ~80$, for a cooler), I would've recommended the NH-D14.

This is what I think about that sentence of yours.

Thermalright Silver Arrow

Useless, overpriced, over-hyped GARBAGE. Absolute waste of money, not worth getting at all (Proof).

I would agree in certain scenarios it absolutely utterly FAILS, however, my brother is a huge fan of it and it's quite a performer. Personal preference I suppose :lol: I mostly love the cooler due to the looks... :lol:

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Yeah, in like "ALMOST ALWAYS".
And it's fans has the worst bearings EVER (double-balls that are loud as FU*NK, and get even louder with time..but they ARE the most long-living, I'd give them at least that).

I mostly love the cooler due to the looks.

IMHO, NH-D14 looks waaaaaaaay better than that puke-swamp colored ugliness.