Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help for first PC build..... im new to PC gaming

Last response: in Systems
May 28, 2012 10:49:08 PM

Hi everybody, i really need help/advice on computer parts. im looking forward to building my very first Gaming pc. im new so please go easy on me lol. here is what i have so far....

i5 2500 processor.
msi gtx 560 (fermi) 1GB.
ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 intel ATX motherboard.
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.
SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold 650W POWER supply.
Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" hard drive.
LG DVD Burner Black SATA model oem.
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If somebody could please tell me if the parts i picked are Good and compatible with each other id really appriciate it. Thanks in advance, Giovanni

More about : build gaming

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 12:44:40 AM

Please use the sticky at the top of this subforum. Are you overclocking? Are you gaming? What's your budget? Anyway, your build is pretty unbalanced, but I can't do anything until I know your budget. Here's the typical $1000 build I suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 60GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $990.81
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-05-28 20:44 EDT-0400)
May 29, 2012 2:42:54 AM

Hi, thank you for replying :) . im curious, what is the sticky ? im new to the site. ummm i dont think ill OC, the pc is for gaming, mainly for battlefield 3 and other war games. my budget is 1000$ not a dime more. oh can you kinda explain how its unbalenced ? is the gtx 560 good ? NVIDIA recommended the gtx 560. and the i5 2500 is good right ? or should i go with the i5 2500k in case i decide to OC down the road. if i were to build with the parts i picked would it be ok ? or should i change stuff ? if i post or reply in the wrong spot please let me know ? thanks again in advance :) .
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 3:04:27 AM

At $1,000, my build is just right. You have a very weak GPU for your build.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 3:32:19 AM

By unbalanced, he means your price allocation for each part. You're not getting the best bang for your buck for the performance your getting.

If you don't plan to OC, then just get the i5 2400 or 2500.

The gtx 560 is a good card. However, it will not max out current games. The Radeon 7850 is a much better card.

Ddan49's build is very good. If you don't plan to SLI/xFire, you can change the PSU to a 400-500W one.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 3:40:25 AM

500W-600W to allow for headroom (which you ALWAYS want to have). But yes.

If not overclocking, here's what you do:

CPU: i5-2400
Mobo: Pro3 Gen3
Ditch the CPU cooler
Spend the money you saved on getting a 7870 if at all possible.

However, OCing is easy, and definitely worth it. I'd leave the option open.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:51:08 AM

Thanks l0v3rboi for explaining. im a noob lol and thank you ddan49 for posting you build it seems very good, so my best choice would be to go with your setup right ddan49 ? oh i saw you had a solid state drive ? i heard a ssd is real good but is it necessary ?. ok so heres what im thinking, ill go with the parts you picked but should i go with the HAF 912 case or the one you picked. and is the power supply you picked made good ? oh and will the radeon 7850 give me good FPS on battlefield 3 and other games ? sorry about all the questions guys im just very nervous, building a pc seems a little daunting. i have a few more questions. 1 is it hard building a pc and 2. i will need windows 7 64 bit correct ?...... thanks in advance, Giovanni
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 7:49:09 AM

the case he picked out has better cable management and is a thicker steel case.(better built). it also has the option of doing water cooled system if you think of modding your pc out. what also nice with that case is the larger grill on top to let the heat out. ssd drivers make your system fast i have one and it takes windows less then 20 sec from dead off to im surfing the web.
the 7850 is one of the newer fast cards out there. the 6850 was last year card that was replaced.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/07-Cr...
when you look at the chart for a gaming card you want to know how it was tested..the test bed and the game and the video drivers so you get an apple to apple fair report on the card. the only issue i have with the chart is when it was made..there are newer ati drivers. but on the chart you can see that the 570 is only slightly faster. you have to buy a 580 or a 670 to get a higher frame rate. it goes into every gamer second point is value for the performance. where sometime two main stream cards are cheaper and faster then one top of the line card. the power supply is a good one that was picked out. for windows if your in collage you can get it at a discount. if not on new egg there a version called oem..runs about 80.00 for the os. it not to hard to build a pc if you can use a screw driver and a pair of wire cutters it not hard. the trick is find a nice large wooden table that you can unpack the case and parts and slowly work to put the unit together. a lot of the parts in a pc are keyed.they can only go in one way. even the intel cpu has a key. most people dont look at the parts and try and force them in.there no part even a ram stick if put in right needs a lot of force. also breadboard the mb outside the case to see that it post then put it in the case.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 8:08:52 AM

Giovanni2033 said:
Thanks l0v3rboi for explaining. im a noob lol and thank you ddan49 for posting you build it seems very good, so my best choice would be to go with your setup right ddan49 ? oh i saw you had a solid state drive ? i heard a ssd is real good but is it necessary ?. ok so heres what im thinking, ill go with the parts you picked but should i go with the HAF 912 case or the one you picked. and is the power supply you picked made good ? oh and will the radeon 7850 give me good FPS on battlefield 3 and other games ? sorry about all the questions guys im just very nervous, building a pc seems a little daunting. i have a few more questions. 1 is it hard building a pc and 2. i will need windows 7 64 bit correct ?...... thanks in advance, Giovanni

If you're thinking of necessity, no, you don't "need" an ssd to run a pc. However, the applications you store in an ssd will be significantly faster.

Radeon 7850 will give you great frame rates. Don't expect it to run everything in ultra though (assuming you're playing in a 1920 x 1080 monitor).

1) Building a PC is really easy. If you know how to insert things in a socket, and screw things in, you can build a PC. If you want to see how easy, Newegg has a video about "how to build a pc" in youtube. That's where I learned how to build mine. Another tip is to read your MoBo user manual. It has many useful information about where to plug things in, and what those unfamiliar plugs are.

2) Yes, you need a 64 bit Windows OS.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:46:22 AM

i think im going with ddan49s set up. but im leaving out the ssd and case and instead going with the regular 1tb hard drive and the haf 912 case. uummm if i got the i5 2500k do i need to overclock it right away ? or can i wait because im kinda low on money. so could i use the i5 2500k as if it was a i5 2500 and when i get money then ill pop in a cpu cooler and oc it. and i just wanna say thank you, ddan49, smorizio, and l0v3rboi you guys are really cool and helpfull. i appriciate all you guys done. heres what im going with.

i5 2500k
asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 LGA 1155 HDMI sata 6gb/s usb 3.0 atx intel motherboard
MSI radeon HD 7850 2 GB
G.skill ripjaws series 8 GB 2x4 ddr3 sdram ddr3 1600
pc power and cooling silencer mkII 750w 80plus silver crossfire/sli ready psu
samsung spinpoint 1tb 7200rpm 3.5" hard drive bare drive
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
WINDOWS 7 64bit
Cooler master HAF 912 atx mid tower case

is this all i need ? do i need to buy additional wires ? ps is a vga cable sold seperate and is it 1080p ?...... do you think my console friends will envy me ? lol thanks in advance, Giovanni. you guys rock !!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 10:36:26 AM

If you're leaving out the SSD, your boot time will be longer and your system will be slower overall. As for the case... your loss. It's going to be harder to build in, and the quality is worse. You don't have to overclock right away with an i5-2500k.

Anyway, the 7850 is destroying other cards price/performance. If you overclock that baby (and boy, can it overclock), you're approaching 580 performance. It'll destroy BF3 at your resolution. This is all you need... you shouldn't need any more wires. Just remember to ground yourself!
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:58:15 PM

Hey dan so the Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case is bigger and better then the cooler master HAF912 ? and i was just wondering what if i ditched the 1tb hard drive and just got a ssd ? because i want a fast computer lol. oh and when Overclocking a graphics card i have to buy like a gpu cooler right ?...... im going to have to pick the best answer and you get it :)  i wish i could leave feedback to everyone for trying to help.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:59:21 PM

Best answer selected by Giovanni2033.
m
l
May 29, 2012 6:26:35 PM

THANK YOU ddan49 you helped me a lot and gave me a great build, thank you.

Thank you l0v3rboi for explaing framrate, and telling me about the how to build a pc video on newegg.

Thank you smorizio for telling me about the windows 7 oem, and giving me pointers on the building part.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY you guys rock !!!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 8:02:58 PM

I'll just answer your questions:

The 400R isn't BIGGER per se, but it IS easier to work in... Corsair makes cases with REALLY nice cable management. It would be a lot easier for a first time build. It's well built overall, and the extra $50 won't dent your budget all that much.

I'd go with a HDD/SSD combo... but not just an SSD. 64 GB is too small for any other files you may have. I'd get an HDD now and an SSD later if you can't afford both.

For GPU overclocking, you don't need a GPU cooler! It comes on the card you buy... that's the fans. That's why I recommended the more expensive MSI 7850... it's got a great cooler on it, and is already clocked at a high speed.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!
m
l
May 29, 2012 10:26:04 PM

Thats pretty cool, it has fan built in. and yeah ill go with the 1tb hard drive and later ill pop in SSD. oh i was just wondering does the msi 7850 fit well in the Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case and would i be set to crossfire down the road ? with the 750w ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2012 12:04:42 AM

You'd be fine
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:31:56 AM

yes !!!! im dying to start. i cant wait to show off to my xbox and ps3 friends lol.... ddan your the man. thanks for the help dude..... but before i go i must ask would it be smart to wait intill black friday in november ? to buy the parts ? would i save a ton of money or just a little ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 30, 2012 12:35:34 AM

You'd probably save quite a bit of money just 'cause the parts would be older. I have no idea, though. I only got interested in hardware a few months ago... so I haven't seen prices during Black Friday. I'm sure checking graphs through pcpartpicker or some other websites would help you with that.
m
l
May 30, 2012 12:41:02 AM

thanks, ill check the graphs
m
l
!