New $900 system . . . doesn't work.

G

Hey all,

I recently put together a new machine on a $1k budget (system hardware list is below.) A buddy and I got everything from Newegg and put it all together the other day, but we can't seem to get the system to work properly. The PC powers on, but nothing else initializes/powers on (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.) The monitor remains black and it doesn't even get to the bios screen. There are no audible beeps when the machine powers on either. The motherboard has two lights on; the RAM light (which is red) and the main, large motherboard light (which is green.)

The only thing that I didn't buy new was the GPU, which I reused from my old computer. This was the same thing that occurred on my old PC that prompted me to decide to get a new one (the system was 8ish years old, so I figured I'd get a new one.) The problem started on my old PC after I cleaned it (incorrectly, I presume.) Is it possible that I fried my graphics card and that is the only thing that I needed to replace? Please help! I don't like having a really cool looking $900 paper weight . . . Thanks for all your responses/advice!

-Aaron

System Hardware:

- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
- ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
- AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX
- CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
- Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
- PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MD8192KD3-1600-X9
- HP 1260 DVDRW
- (This is my old GPU taken from my other PC) ATI RadeonHD 4650, AGP (8x), 1GB (GDDR2)

"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" checklist

kidcrumb

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Your Motherboard does not have an AGP slot. Im not sure how well your card fit but do not power the computer on again with that card in the motherboard. You dont have an onboard GPU to test so if you could borrow a friends GPU to test that would be helpful. Make sure it is PCI Express.

If everything else looks like it boots correctly, then that might be the reason you are not getting a picture. Test out another GPU.

I shudder to think of the damage that youve done by forcing an AGP card in anything on that motherboard. THis is why you should pay someone to build a system for you if you cant get something as easy as that right. Where did you put the card that you thought it would fit?