mrsiva26

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
My computer lags a lot. Everything worked fine until i installed windows7 ultimate x64.?
Ive been using my pc for the past two years. Its specs are
core 2 Duo
intel dg33fb motherboard
320 gb hdd
2gb ddr2 ram.
1GB NVIDIA Geforce 9400GT. I used win vista 32bit version and win7 ultimate 32bit in this pc with just 2 gb ram.
But everything worked very fine.

recently i swiched to win7 ultimate 64 bit, where the problem started. it was very laggy when scroling webpages and even while playing videos via vlc or km player.

So i thot of a ram upgrade would help me out and brought another 2gb ram and placed it in another channel.
So now my pc has 4 GB DDR2 RAM. but there wasnt even a little improvement in performance with the new ram. Im sure that they are matched and placed in different channels. both being 667Mhz.

When i googled this many said that the problem was due to old graphics driver. So ive updated my nvidia graphics driver with the most updated version as on sep 13, 2012 and ive also updated my bios.

Someone help me out.
thanks in advance

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I had a core 2 duo just couple of weeks ago and yes it has aged though it should be able to handle windows 7 unless you perhaps have the lowest core clock core 2 duo.

This is what I can tell. 2 gigs of ram for windows 7 might be a tad short, especially for ultimate whose come fully loaded with features; therefore at default it may require more memory than other windows 7 version unless you stopped features that does not pertain or interrest you.

1) Check for motherboard manufacturer chipset updates, I do not think it will improve unless perhaps the driver you have at this moment is specific for windows XP to perhaps vista only.

2) I remember my core 2 duo motherboard ability to accept up to 8 gigs of ram 2sticks*4gigs PC1066or 4 sticks*2 gigs PC800. what is your max motherboard memory capacity? If you have 4 gigs of ram at this moment then memory should NOT be the issue.

3) if you have not done so. Make some research about windows 7 features and see if some are not relevant to your purpose and require continous processing.

4)Do you use a firewall? have you tried to open it completely or stop it completely for several minutes and before you open an internet page? is it still as slow?

5) Do the ineternet page you browse require java and/or flash in which case, do you have latest versions?

6) Check CTRL+ALT+DEL, open start task manager, click on processes look for process that you do not recognize and are utilizing process non stop. Also you can check performance usage to give you a hint when you open and use an internet page.

If iy is laggy, it means either way that you don't have enough of something, have something but not correct version or lastly a process is using your PC.

7) Have you considered Firefox or else and see if the provlem persists?

8)Have you tried to simply delete internet explorer's cache? all datas no exception?

Seb

mrsiva26

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

the ram was installed correctly. both the bios and the windows systemproperties window could recognise it. yet it was laggy...
after doing a lot of research i then placed the ram in another slot as i had 4 ram slots and now everything is perfectly fine.
thnx a lottt

TRENDING THREADS