8GB Ddr3 1600mhz G.Skill Ram
Western digital 1TB Caviar Black HDD
Corsair 850TX 80Plus Powersuply (850w)
Asus 24x Dvd Burner
HAF 932 Full tower Computer Case
Asus v242H 23.6Inch monitor HD 1080p
Corsair Sp2500 Speakers
Microsoft sidewinder x4
Now thats my current build , its the first one I ever did and I built it around Nov 15 2011. I want to upgrade it but I'm not sure of getting a 7xxx or 6xx series Gpu , or Ivy Bridge because I heard Sandy-Ivy Is not worth the Upgrade and that Sandy OC's better also. Do you think its a good idea for me to wait for Socket 1150 ? and Haswell and the 7xx and 8xxx series so I can get the components when they first come out ? I also heard about intel's tick tock thing. Where On a tick they shrink the die and I guess the nm and tock they increase something else I forgot which increases performance by a lot. And that SandyBridge was the Tock and Ivy was the tick. So I'm thinking of waiting For haswell , Is that a good idea ? I can also Use things from this build like the Ram , HDD , Case , Possibly PSU even though I want Modular so bad , I hate wires everywhere, and the speakers , Monitor, Im also going to get a boot ssd and another 1TB HDD when I can. What do you think ?
May 29, 2012 12:07:50 AM

Ib is worth it. It only gets hot if you push it too hard.
m
l
May 29, 2012 12:17:16 AM

Ivy is NOT worth it. It doesn't get you performance any better than the 2600K. If you were to do a CPU upgrade you'd go 3930K, but there's no reason to do that. Not even SLI 680s will really max a well-OCed 2600K. I'd just grab another 6970 for Xfire.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 12:19:16 AM

I think you can get by one year with your current setup just fine.
m
l
May 29, 2012 12:20:43 AM

azeem40 said:

i and most people would disagree. sandy bridge will overclock higher and thus be faster.
m
l

Best solution

May 29, 2012 12:21:01 AM

azeem40 said:

? Ivy bridge is absolutely NOT worth it. it has a tiny 1-2% advantage per clock and sandy bridge clocks higher. performance is basically identical. NO reviews recommend upgrading from a high end sandy bridge like a 2600K to ivy bridge. not even toms. that's basically flushing money down the toilet for a small improvement in power usage. If it was a new system then fine.

The 6970 is also high end. you could go crossfire if your board supports it. but mine plays everything on ultra. You have a high end system. there is no need to upgrade it and it should probably last till the HD 8000s are out. You're asking for advice on upgrades that u don't need and who knows what will be out by the time you do... Unless your looking to go high Res or 3D The only real upgrade worth doing if you wanted is an SSD
May 29, 2012 12:48:53 AM

The main point is , No I don't want Ivy Bridge or the 6xx or 7xxx series what Im really asking is IS it worth it too Upgrade when Haswell Comes out ? and the 7xx and 8xxx Series. Sorry If I didnt make it more clear I also wanted peoples opinions on sandy-ivy and the 6xx 7xxx series
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:13:49 AM

We have no idea what the next generation of cards and chips will be like. There's no way to know. I'm sure they'll be fast.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:33:53 AM

BS. It is worth it because IB doesn't need a big OC to reach the performance of a SB OC.
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:36:16 AM

azeem40 said:
BS. It is worth it because IB doesn't need a big OC to reach the performance of a SB OC.

you have been misinformed
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:37:23 AM

Again. you're talking a year down the road at least. No one knows till the parts are out. No one knows what software/games will require. No one knows pricing. its just pointless to worry about it at this point. The best thing to do is as long as you're happy with it keep it. When you're not... you have to decide if you want to wait. but you'll never know till the parts are out.

IB is the perfect example. People who wanted to upgrade months ago and waited for IB waited for nothing. yes haswell will be the next step up. really your only one. will you need it? I doubt it. Wont know for a year at least.

If your unhappy with your FPS crossfire 6970s or sell it and get a 680 or 7970
m
l
May 29, 2012 1:48:51 AM

azeem40 said:

Sigh. NO. clock for clock they are almost identical. And performance is almost identical because IB only has a few percent improvement. IB CANT clock as high as SB because of its heat issues. Since you have to spend more to cool IB, more money for a CPU that matches what you have its throwing out money.

NO reviews recommend moving from SB to IB... you seem to think stock IB matches OC SB which is completely wrong.

IB is about the die shrink, trigate, and HD4000. Not CPU performance. Go forth and learn... and stop giving out bad advice.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-co...
m
l
May 29, 2012 2:36:50 AM

tony245 said:
The main point is , No I don't want Ivy Bridge or the 6xx or 7xxx series what Im really asking is IS it worth it too Upgrade when Haswell Comes out ? and the 7xx and 8xxx Series. Sorry If I didnt make it more clear I also wanted peoples opinions on sandy-ivy and the 6xx 7xxx series

Chances are you will want to upgrade when Haswell comes out as it is a completely new format, but it might be a while before any software would even require the spec standards of the new format, especially the games. I think your system is good for 2 more years at least.
m
l
May 29, 2012 2:41:12 AM

Alright Guys thanks for the answers , I'm happy with my performance and Im sure I can stick it out another year, and I'll upgrade when Haswell and 7xx or 8xxx Series come out , For Now , I'm Going to save up for an ssd (128GB Boot) and See If I can sell my 850w PSU and Get a 1000w Cooler Master Modular one. Thanks for the help everyone. I wont pick a best answer just yet incase anyone has other opinions they want to share on the matter
m
l
May 29, 2012 2:47:39 AM

unksol said:
Sigh. NO. clock for clock they are almost identical. And performance is almost identical because IB only has a few percent improvement. IB CANT clock as high as SB because of its heat issues. Since you have to spend more to cool IB, more money for a CPU that matches what you have its throwing out money.

NO reviews recommend moving from SB to IB... you seem to think stock IB matches OC SB which is completely wrong.

IB is about the die shrink, trigate, and HD4000. Not CPU performance. Go forth and learn... and stop giving out bad advice.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-co...

LOL. I give far from bad advice.
m
l
May 29, 2012 2:52:40 AM

azeem40 said:
LOL. I give far from bad advice.

you just did bro
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:08:49 AM

Lol, you need to get more sources. Ivy bridge is 7% faster per clock. What makes you think they are equal?
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:14:40 AM

i wouldnt even buy an ivybridge over a sandybridge right now. i prefer sandy. its a proven workhose, survives@5ghz and does it 20 degrees cooler than ivy at 4.5ghz. i dont trust ivy at all, dead cpus could very well start popping up in the forums. 100 ******* degrees is TOO MUCH
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:19:52 AM

Lol, it's max load temp is at most 85C. No way will it get to 100C unless the cooler is not seated corrected. There are many who think otherwise, such as Why_Me. He is the wise one. I might just ask him to enlighten you all.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:22:47 AM

"Three-digit temperatures while overclocking

Just for the sake of it we also made a couple of quick temperature measurings on the processors in their maximum overclockings and here the issue becomes more obvious. With just a couple of minutes load in the demanding Cinebench 11.5 the 3770K reached a temperature of between 89 and 99 degrees depending on which CPU core. We also were above three digits (above 100 degrees) with the processor frequency at 4,8 GHz."

-nordic hardware

ok@4.8 it goes OVER 100. my sandy with a true120 (not even that great) can do 5.1 ghz and not touch 80 degrees. my point is valid
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:23:30 AM

You better add another 6970.

6970s crossfired are a magnificent two headed beast, and I think most people don't realize just how powerful they are when put together. A 6970 by itself is relatively unremarkable, even for single monitor 1080p gaming.

Here is my dual 6970 rig in 3DMark 11 (look at the graphics score)...

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3181251;jsessionid=pczxvt6dg9hda7qwduz2ar4y

It also brings in a solid 60fps in the Heaven performance benchmark.

I couldn't recommend it enough - grab another 6970.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:26:24 AM

neon neophyte said:
"Three-digit temperatures while overclocking

Just for the sake of it we also made a couple of quick temperature measurings on the processors in their maximum overclockings and here the issue becomes more obvious. With just a couple of minutes load in the demanding Cinebench 11.5 the 3770K reached a temperature of between 89 and 99 degrees depending on which CPU core. We also were above three digits (above 100 degrees) with the processor frequency at 4,8 GHz."

-nordic hardware

ok@4.8 it goes OVER 100. my sandy with a crappy cooler can do 5.1 ghz and not touch 80 degrees. my point is valid

And 4.2 GHz, which DOES equal 4.5 GHz SB, is the max you need for a good OC that isn't too hot, so my point is valid too. Anything past 4.2 on IB is overkill and doesn't equal much of a performance boost.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:27:44 AM

azeem40 said:
Lol, you need to get more sources. Ivy bridge is 7% faster per clock. What makes you think they are equal?

right... its closer to 5%. which is nothing and not noticeable. and SB clocks 5% higher in the same system. its a draw. its horrible advice to tell someone to spends hundreds of dollars to get what they already have. heck its horrible to tell someone IB.is "worth it" and spend hundreds even if you incorrectly thought it was 7%. maybe you're one of those people who had too.much money and just wants to have the newest. idk.

I am not saying you've never given good advice. its not personal. I've made mistakes too. its good to have people point them out. But you can't just talk nonsense, then insist you are right when presented with a torrent of evidence. There are people here who don't know better and you'd want them to throw out money and get nothing. you are wrong. thats malicious. you need to go read some articles. like the rest of us.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:28:40 AM

4.2 ghz doesnt touch a 5ghz sandy, 5ghz sandy runs way cooler. itd be a draw if ivy ran cooler, but it doesnt. really, if yer happy with low 4.x ghz, ivy is better. if u want more, sandy is better. overall when pushed to their limits, sandy is better. ivy just gets too damn hot and we dont even know if they have any longevity in them yet. sandy has already proven itself.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:29:29 AM

Also, top end Sandy Bridges are b-necked by all but the most powerful of graphics cards.

Anyone who adds an Ivy Bridge to a gaming rig is either incredibly rich or incredibly stupid.

No exceptions.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:33:39 AM

azeem40 said:
And 4.2 GHz, which DOES equal 4.5 GHz SB, is the max you need for a good OC that isn't too hot, so my point is valid too. Anything past 4.2 on IB is overkill and doesn't equal much of a performance boost.

So? now you agree with us? if a 4.2 IB matches a 4.5 SB. and his current SB can go higher with no issues... on air... you want him to toss his expensive i7 2600k to spend hundreds on an IB CPU and run it slower so it will have lower performance?

You do get he HAS the 2600K right? So waste money for lower performance?!?!
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:37:18 AM

I didn't know he had it. I missed the part of current rig. Either way, though, the "lower" performance you speak of is not that "low". IB doesn't NEED a big OC to compete.
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:39:37 AM

azeem40 said:

busting out my 200 dollar calculator for this one...

(4.5-4.2)/4.2 * 100 = 7.14%

BUT!!!! the difference per toms review is actually 3.7%
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:41:50 AM

ivy actually has a lower ipc than sandy in some things. its just not consistant. sandy does winrar better, for example
m
l
May 29, 2012 3:45:39 AM

cbrunnem said:
busting out my 200 dollar calculator for this one...

(4.5-4.2)/4.2 * 100 = 7.14%

BUT!!!! the difference per toms review is actually 3.7%
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar...

You are missing one big detail: his CPU is the 2600K, so the percentage is going to be different.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:08:51 AM

Were still on the Ivy vs Sandy argument aren't we... Seriously Give it Up I'm not getting Ivy bridge so there's no point to argue over it. I agree with people backing sandy bridge.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:23:11 AM

tony245 said:
Were still on the Ivy vs Sandy argument aren't we... Seriously Give it Up I'm not getting Ivy bridge so there's no point to argue over it. I agree with people backing sandy bridge.

You know a thread has gotten out of hand when the OP asking for advice needs to tell people to chill. :lol: 

Seriously, a Sandy Bridge i7 is insanely powerful (if gaming is the only consideration), and I can't imagine what games will be like when devs are fully utilizing that many cores (I am referring to the Logical cores: Hyperthreading) in there games.
I believe the i7 will be able to pretty much run any game released in the next two years (minimum).

If you want better performance in games, either CF the 6970 or purchase a better video card.
If you want a better overall computing environment, get an SSD for a boot drive.

I wouldn't recommend buying a CoolerMaster PSU (especially in that high of an output).
You have a great PSU as it is right now.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:46:22 AM

tony245 said:

Arguments bring about discussion, and there is nothing wrong with that. I agree with people backing ivy bridge.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:50:02 AM

azeem40 said:
Arguments bring about discussion, and there is nothing wrong with that. I agree with people backing ivy bridge.

I only agree with backing Ivy Bridge if the person has no intent on OCing, and is doing a completely new build.
If a person had an i5 or i7 Sandy, I couldn't recommend going over to Ivy in terms of doing an upgrade.

Personally I still want to see the i3 Ivy Bridge, as that might hold some promise.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:53:39 AM

Do you not get that IB is only hot at a certain clock rate? Every review says that IB is 7-17% faster than SB. I am not convincing the OP to change his mind; this is for those false answers against IB.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:56:23 AM

azeem40 said:
Do you not get that IB is only hot at a certain clock rate? Every review says that IB is 7-17% faster than SB. I am not convincing the OP to change his mind; this is for those false answers against IB.

I get that it is hot when OCed and at stock vs stock it beats SB.
I have yet to see any game benchmarks that show Ivy Bridge with a 17% gain over Sandy though.
m
l
May 29, 2012 5:58:13 AM

Atleast someone understands what I mean. :) 
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:46:02 AM

azeem40 said:

At the time you posted that the only person backing Ivy Bridge was you. Theres nothing here to back Ivy bridge about. Okay. If I was coming from a pentium 4 with 256mb of ddr ram and a 7600gs Mabye you can tell me that I should Get ivy bridge . The purpose of my thread was UPGRADING FROM SANDY TO IVY WORTH IT OR WAIT FOR HASWELL not Hey Im looking to buy a new processor because I have a really old P4 and so on. Even Then I would get a sandy bridge as I like low temps and I like to OC and theirs barely a performance increase at stock. I saw benchmarks its like comparing an i7 3820 and a 2600k It was very close AND VERY CLOSE DONT JUSTIFY AND UPGRADE. Or downgrade for that matter I want to Over clock and have cool temps while doing so.
m
l
May 30, 2012 6:30:18 AM

Best answer selected by tony245.
m
l
May 30, 2012 7:24:00 AM

I was wrong in this case, but if one is upgrading from a non sb based platform to ib it is worth it. The proof is in this thread.
m
l
May 30, 2012 7:35:04 AM

no its not, your ivybridge cant touch my 5ghz sandy
m
l
May 30, 2012 7:38:20 AM

I dont need it to, lol. It is fine at 4.2 while you increase the heat.
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:21:42 AM

"its fine" lol. "good enough" you sound like a amd user

my heat is 65-70 degrees at a normal full load. well within tolerance. sandy is already proven to hold up. ivybridge isnt. justifying having to hold your cpu back really just reflects its short comings

the only place ivybridge shines is in the mobile markets. id get it for a laptop, id choose sandy over ivy on a desktop. not to mention i got mine for 180 bucks. an almost comparable ivy is 235. 55 bucks that can be spent on a better videocard or a ssd

fact is, sandy is more capable than ivy at this point. will that change in the future? id bet on it. currently though, sandy is still king
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:32:09 AM

Hold it back? I dont think you have listened to anything I said. What part of "IB doesnt need to be OCed the same as SB to get similar results" did you not get?
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:33:32 AM

your 4.1 does not compare to my 5.0. your numbers on ipc are wrong, btw. want to run some benchmarks and compare? =]
by similar results you mean "slightly slower" lol. ivy is a disappointment, cpus are supposed to get faster not slower. ivy ONLY shines in the mobile market. "good enough" isnt something i want to hear in a processor update
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:37:37 AM

You still dont get it. I have no desire to play number games with you. I will repeat, and my point is simple and does not play war with you; it just reiterates the bigger picture. Ex: 4.2 ghz ivy bridge oc = 4.5 sandy bridge oc. I am positive I can go to 4.7 and match your performance, but why would I? I already know my diminishing returns.
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:39:28 AM

you wouldnt do it because you would be running 20 degrees hotter than i would be, and that would be insane. ps, i can overclock to 5.2-5.3 ghz, but i dont... for the same reason you dont overclock to 4.7

and no, you wouldnt want to play numbers games, as your processor is slower. kind of like you ;) 
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:47:31 AM

I am running in circles with you... *sigh*

You will NEVER see a benefit, other than bragging rights, from OCing that high. Have fun with your faulty logic.
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:48:54 AM

and no one will need more than 637 kb of memory either

you should quit being such a fanboy and just face the facts. i get it, you spent good money on a slower processor and now justify it with "good enough."

these processors arent THAT fast, you can already tap them out
m
l
May 30, 2012 9:52:26 AM

If you continue to insult me, a mouse might just come in and infract you.
m
l
!