8GB Ddr3 1600mhz G.Skill Ram
Western digital 1TB Caviar Black HDD
Corsair 850TX 80Plus Powersuply (850w)
Asus 24x Dvd Burner
HAF 932 Full tower Computer Case
Asus v242H 23.6Inch monitor HD 1080p
Corsair Sp2500 Speakers
Microsoft sidewinder x4
Now thats my current build , its the first one I ever did and I built it around Nov 15 2011. I want to upgrade it but I'm not sure of getting a 7xxx or 6xx series Gpu , or Ivy Bridge because I heard Sandy-Ivy Is not worth the Upgrade and that Sandy OC's better also. Do you think its a good idea for me to wait for Socket 1150 ? and Haswell and the 7xx and 8xxx series so I can get the components when they first come out ? I also heard about intel's tick tock thing. Where On a tick they shrink the die and I guess the nm and tock they increase something else I forgot which increases performance by a lot. And that SandyBridge was the Tock and Ivy was the tick. So I'm thinking of waiting For haswell , Is that a good idea ? I can also Use things from this build like the Ram , HDD , Case , Possibly PSU even though I want Modular so bad , I hate wires everywhere, and the speakers , Monitor, Im also going to get a boot ssd and another 1TB HDD when I can. What do you think ?

Solution

? Ivy bridge is absolutely NOT worth it. it has a tiny 1-2% advantage per clock and sandy bridge clocks higher. performance is basically identical. NO reviews recommend upgrading from a high end sandy bridge like a 2600K to ivy bridge. not even toms. that's basically flushing money down the toilet for a small improvement in power usage. If it was a new system then fine.

The 6970 is also high end. you could go crossfire if your board supports it. but mine plays everything on ultra. You have a high end system. there is no need to upgrade it and it should probably last till the HD 8000s are out. You're asking for advice on upgrades that u don't need and who knows what will...
Ivy is NOT worth it. It doesn't get you performance any better than the 2600K. If you were to do a CPU upgrade you'd go 3930K, but there's no reason to do that. Not even SLI 680s will really max a well-OCed 2600K. I'd just grab another 6970 for Xfire.

? Ivy bridge is absolutely NOT worth it. it has a tiny 1-2% advantage per clock and sandy bridge clocks higher. performance is basically identical. NO reviews recommend upgrading from a high end sandy bridge like a 2600K to ivy bridge. not even toms. that's basically flushing money down the toilet for a small improvement in power usage. If it was a new system then fine.

The 6970 is also high end. you could go crossfire if your board supports it. but mine plays everything on ultra. You have a high end system. there is no need to upgrade it and it should probably last till the HD 8000s are out. You're asking for advice on upgrades that u don't need and who knows what will be out by the time you do... Unless your looking to go high Res or 3D The only real upgrade worth doing if you wanted is an SSD

Solution

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
The main point is , No I don't want Ivy Bridge or the 6xx or 7xxx series what Im really asking is IS it worth it too Upgrade when Haswell Comes out ? and the 7xx and 8xxx Series. Sorry If I didnt make it more clear I also wanted peoples opinions on sandy-ivy and the 6xx 7xxx series

Again. you're talking a year down the road at least. No one knows till the parts are out. No one knows what software/games will require. No one knows pricing. its just pointless to worry about it at this point. The best thing to do is as long as you're happy with it keep it. When you're not... you have to decide if you want to wait. but you'll never know till the parts are out.

IB is the perfect example. People who wanted to upgrade months ago and waited for IB waited for nothing. yes haswell will be the next step up. really your only one. will you need it? I doubt it. Wont know for a year at least.

If your unhappy with your FPS crossfire 6970s or sell it and get a 680 or 7970

Sigh. NO. clock for clock they are almost identical. And performance is almost identical because IB only has a few percent improvement. IB CANT clock as high as SB because of its heat issues. Since you have to spend more to cool IB, more money for a CPU that matches what you have its throwing out money.

NO reviews recommend moving from SB to IB... you seem to think stock IB matches OC SB which is completely wrong.

IB is about the die shrink, trigate, and HD4000. Not CPU performance. Go forth and learn... and stop giving out bad advice.
www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overclocking-core-i7-3770k,3198.html

kivblue

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Chances are you will want to upgrade when Haswell comes out as it is a completely new format, but it might be a while before any software would even require the spec standards of the new format, especially the games. I think your system is good for 2 more years at least.

tony245

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Alright Guys thanks for the answers , I'm happy with my performance and Im sure I can stick it out another year, and I'll upgrade when Haswell and 7xx or 8xxx Series come out , For Now , I'm Going to save up for an ssd (128GB Boot) and See If I can sell my 850w PSU and Get a 1000w Cooler Master Modular one. Thanks for the help everyone. I wont pick a best answer just yet incase anyone has other opinions they want to share on the matter

LOL. I give far from bad advice.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i wouldnt even buy an ivybridge over a sandybridge right now. i prefer sandy. its a proven workhose, survives@5ghz and does it 20 degrees cooler than ivy at 4.5ghz. i dont trust ivy at all, dead cpus could very well start popping up in the forums. 100 ******* degrees is TOO MUCH

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
"Three-digit temperatures while overclocking

Just for the sake of it we also made a couple of quick temperature measurings on the processors in their maximum overclockings and here the issue becomes more obvious. With just a couple of minutes load in the demanding Cinebench 11.5 the 3770K reached a temperature of between 89 and 99 degrees depending on which CPU core. We also were above three digits (above 100 degrees) with the processor frequency at 4,8 GHz."

-nordic hardware

ok@4.8 it goes OVER 100. my sandy with a true120 (not even that great) can do 5.1 ghz and not touch 80 degrees. my point is valid

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
You better add another 6970.

6970s crossfired are a magnificent two headed beast, and I think most people don't realize just how powerful they are when put together. A 6970 by itself is relatively unremarkable, even for single monitor 1080p gaming.

Here is my dual 6970 rig in 3DMark 11 (look at the graphics score)...

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3181251;jsessionid=pczxvt6dg9hda7qwduz2ar4y

It also brings in a solid 60fps in the Heaven performance benchmark.

I couldn't recommend it enough - grab another 6970.

And 4.2 GHz, which DOES equal 4.5 GHz SB, is the max you need for a good OC that isn't too hot, so my point is valid too. Anything past 4.2 on IB is overkill and doesn't equal much of a performance boost.

right... its closer to 5%. which is nothing and not noticeable. and SB clocks 5% higher in the same system. its a draw. its horrible advice to tell someone to spends hundreds of dollars to get what they already have. heck its horrible to tell someone IB.is "worth it" and spend hundreds even if you incorrectly thought it was 7%. maybe you're one of those people who had too.much money and just wants to have the newest. idk.

I am not saying you've never given good advice. its not personal. I've made mistakes too. its good to have people point them out. But you can't just talk nonsense, then insist you are right when presented with a torrent of evidence. There are people here who don't know better and you'd want them to throw out money and get nothing. you are wrong. thats malicious. you need to go read some articles. like the rest of us.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
4.2 ghz doesnt touch a 5ghz sandy, 5ghz sandy runs way cooler. itd be a draw if ivy ran cooler, but it doesnt. really, if yer happy with low 4.x ghz, ivy is better. if u want more, sandy is better. overall when pushed to their limits, sandy is better. ivy just gets too damn hot and we dont even know if they have any longevity in them yet. sandy has already proven itself.