System Hangs during gameplay - Gainward GTX 570

lukeylad118

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hi guys,
Just got my graphics card back from getting repaired for the same problem, so I thought I would ask you guys, before phoning up my supplier AGAIN! :fou:

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

Any game I play, after some time has passed, the system hangs. Doesn't blue screen, the screen and sound just freeze, all my fans slow down and I have to hard reset the system.

As an example, just been playing half life 2, a game this graphics card should be able to cope with, and it hung after about 45 minutes of gameplay.

Checked the temps and it floats around 60-65 degrees on full load and idle at 50-52 degrees. The fans never go about 55% usage on full load either, so i'm okay on the temperature front. It's getting sufficient power from the 2 6-pin connectors it has plugged in to it, so I am at a loss.

The only thing I can think of is that it is being bottlenecked but surely that wouldn't cause the system to hang, would it? :??:

Anyways, I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter.

System specs are as follows:
AMD Phenom x4 9650 @2.30Ghz Water Cooled
Gainward GTX 570 Golden Sample
6 GB DDR2 RAM @ 800 Mhz
700W Delta power supply

Also, yes I do know that most of the parts are outdated, I am putting the 570 in my new build later, I just bought the graphics card so I could play the newer games on this system while I save the money up.

Have you updated the bios on the motherboard? I will say that 2.3ghz on the cpu is rather slow , have you tried overclocking the cpu to see if that helps? The ram is also on the slow side and between the two it's most likly choking the video card. What are the number of rails on the psu and the amps on the +12v.

Hello,

So what upgrade do you come from? Meaning your GPU.

I would suggest looking in your event log for the times your computer froze.

Also you could try running driver sweeper and re-installing your graphics card drivers.

Also did a quick search for your Power supply. Apparently it is not very efficient (around 68%). Which is not very good.

lukeylad118

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Haven't tried updating my BIOS, didn't really cross my mind, might do that and here is the readout on my PSU.

Photo%2028-03-2012%2005%2040%2004%20PM.jpg

I upgraded from a ATi Radeon HD 5450, it ran everything I threw at it but couldn't play in 1080p, I have tried re-installing drivers and that didn't do anything, the model number for the PSU is GPS-750AB A, and it's 750W (my mistake) :D

I would suggest running driver sweeper, you could have remnants of your old drivers on your system:

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

Install it, then log on in safe mode and run driver sweeper. Once done re-install the latest drivers.

At least this way we can eliminate driver problems.

lukeylad118

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

Right, done that Driver Sweeper and re-installed my graphics driver.

Gunna run half life 2 for a bit.

Good software though :D

TRENDING THREADS