ShutDown Error

A computer running WinXP has an error while shutting down. On each
shutdown, I hear a beep, then a error dialog flashes on the screen. I can't
read it because it happens so fast, but it appears to be a DLL error of some
sort. Because of this, most of this, on most of the Computer Boot Ups, it
goes to the CMOS page. Everything looks okay so I save changes ... then it
finally boots. I'm making an assumption that the two errors are related. I
would like to know if there is a way to halt the computer when the error
comes up so I can read the message. I've tried the pause, that won't work.
Any other ways.

Currently I'm reading the system logs to see if I see anything.
3 answers Last reply
More about shutdown error

    Why not just fix the problem,try shutdown,power off,locate the cmos jumper
    pin,usually its set from 1-2 to 2-3 position for 15 seconds,then set back to
    1-2.If you cant locate it,remove battery for same time,replace,start
    computer.
    The basic BIOS settings will need to be reset after.

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:34:08 GMT, JCO wrote:

    > A computer running WinXP has an error while shutting down. On each
    > shutdown, I hear a beep, then a error dialog flashes on the screen. I can't
    > read it because it happens so fast, but it appears to be a DLL error of some
    > sort. Because of this, most of this, on most of the Computer Boot Ups, it
    > goes to the CMOS page. Everything looks okay so I save changes ... then it
    > finally boots. I'm making an assumption that the two errors are related.

    They may not be related. You may have a shutdown problem. And a low battery
    that is not retaining your CMOS settings. Reading the system logs is a good
    idea as you already mentioned. Using Event Viewer to do this?

    > would like to know if there is a way to halt the computer when the error
    > comes up so I can read the message. I've tried the pause, that won't work.
    > Any other ways.

    If you have a keyboard with an F-Lock key, try pressing F-Lock+Pause.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I'm not loosing any of the CMOS data, that I can tell. I will clear the
    CMOS and see what that does.
    The clock never looses time (a sure indication that the battery is low).

    No F-Lock Pause, but thanks.

    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:34:08 GMT, JCO wrote:
    >
    > > A computer running WinXP has an error while shutting down. On each
    > > shutdown, I hear a beep, then a error dialog flashes on the screen. I
    can't
    > > read it because it happens so fast, but it appears to be a DLL error of
    some
    > > sort. Because of this, most of this, on most of the Computer Boot Ups,
    it
    > > goes to the CMOS page. Everything looks okay so I save changes ... then
    it
    > > finally boots. I'm making an assumption that the two errors are
    related.

    > They may not be related. You may have a shutdown problem. And a low
    battery
    > that is not retaining your CMOS settings. Reading the system logs is a
    good
    > idea as you already mentioned. Using Event Viewer to do this?

    > > would like to know if there is a way to halt the computer when the error
    > > comes up so I can read the message. I've tried the pause, that won't
    work.
    > > Any other ways.
    >
    > If you have a keyboard with an F-Lock key, try pressing F-Lock+Pause.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Computers Shutdown Windows XP