Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My box won't boot with gigabyte radeon 7750 installed

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 28, 2012 4:47:29 PM

Hi all,

I just purchased a brand new gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7750 from newegg. The card arrived on monday, I installed it to replace my NVidia GEForce 7600GS and everything went great. Yesterday while I was playing world of warcraft the screen suddenly turned black, mouse and keyboard are non responsive. I reboot the cpu and nothing happened, I didn't hear any beep to indicate that the BIOS is running, nothing all I can hear/see are the fans running. I then proceed to unplug my new radeon card and suddenly everything started up fine again, but, when I plug the card back in nothing worked. I then plugged in my old nvidia card and the pc is running smoothly again.

Thinking that I might have a defective card I sent the radeon back to newegg and now I'm waiting for a replacement. However, I read on this forum someone else who also is having the same problem I'm having, with a different AMD card, a 5770 I believe, and from the replied someone suggested that it might be a PSU problem. My machine right now is using a generic 350w PSU from dell. I checked with a few of my friends ( who has better technical knowledge than me) and they said that my PSU should be more than enough to support the HD 7750 because it's design to consume very little power.

This is my machine's spec:

Dell Studio 540
Q8200 Intel Core2 Quad 2.3GHz
6GB DDR2 RAM
350w PSU (Antec maybe?)

If anyone here can help me solving this problem I would appreciate it because I have a feeling when the replacement card came I will be having the same problem.

thanks.
March 28, 2012 5:09:26 PM

Honestly, probably PSU issue. Yes the 7750 is only a power sipper, but a generic 350W PSU that is, what, 4 or 5 years old? I'd replace it anyway, honestly. You don't need much but a basic 400W Antec, Seasonic, Corsair (or other good brand) PSU is not very expensive at all and can save your system.

If these results are accurate, a 7600GS uses around 27W while the 7750 uses up to about 43W. If that 16W means the difference between booting and not booting... yikes. Replace the PSU ASAP!

sources:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/power...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/HD_7750/24.html
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:20:23 PM

almost sure your psu is the problem, if you are lucky the video card did not die, but it is just no receiveng enough energy, but it is easy to kill a video card by using a low power PSU.

it is recommended a 500w or more to that video card, so it is almost certain the problem.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/77...
m
0
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 5:27:48 PM

If this is the problem then I really am screwed since I don't think I could fit a 500w+ PSU in my stupid stock dell case :( 
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:40:25 PM

siregar0511 said:
If this is the problem then I really am screwed since I don't think I could fit a 500w+ PSU in my stupid stock dell case :( 


Of course you can. PSU sizes are standard, only when you get to the 1000W+ do you see longer PSUs. There are mini PSUs for slim cases, but yours just fits standard size.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 5:45:48 PM

wolfram23 said:
Of course you can. PSU sizes are standard, only when you get to the 1000W+ do you see longer PSUs. There are mini PSUs for slim cases, but yours just fits standard size.


Really? Can you recommend 1 for me that would be compatible with my video card? Maybe something in the area of $40-$60?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 7:37:58 PM

Well I just purchased the cooler master extreme 500w PSU. Hopefully this will resolve my issue. I will let you guys know in a few days when I get the PSU and the video card replacement.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 7:56:26 PM

siregar0511 said:
Well I just purchased the cooler master extreme 500w PSU. Hopefully this will resolve my issue. I will let you guys know in a few days when I get the PSU and the video card replacement.


this power supply can really deliver the 500w but the efficiency is very low, between 40~60% at high loads. and do a high level of electrical noise. for the price it is good, but i would have not recommended you that psu.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:24:24 PM

Look at his system. He'll be pulling around 200W. The PSU is fine. It would not be good if he plans to upgrade to a 7870 or something, but with a 7750? No problem.

That said, I do recommend changing the order to the Corsair. You'll save money. It's $44.99 - $8 instant promo, and a $20 mail-in-rebate. Plus it's 80 plus certified.
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:39:56 PM

Don't I need a minimum of 450W power supply, though? I'm all confused now :( 

So Corsair 430W is the best of all that you recommended me?
m
0
l
March 28, 2012 8:52:14 PM

No, something like this http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine recommends 250W, and they are over shooting to be safe (5570 GPU used, as it pulls the same amount at 46W). A solid 400W PSU is more than enough for this system. I don't know why that AMD site says 500W and a 6 pin, since the 7750 doesn't even have a 6 pin connector. The AMD site also says you need another 7770 for CF, so my guess is they copy and pasted 7770 specs to the 7750 page.

So, yeah. The Antec and the XFX are both 80 Plus Bronze which is 82% efficiency minimum. The Corsair is 80 Plus, so just 80% minimum. Any of them is fine, the Corsair is just a really good deal with the rebates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS
m
0
l
March 29, 2012 11:23:46 PM

wolfram23 said:
No, something like this http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine recommends 250W, and they are over shooting to be safe (5570 GPU used, as it pulls the same amount at 46W). A solid 400W PSU is more than enough for this system. I don't know why that AMD site says 500W and a 6 pin, since the 7750 doesn't even have a 6 pin connector. The AMD site also says you need another 7770 for CF, so my guess is they copy and pasted 7770 specs to the 7750 page.

So, yeah. The Antec and the XFX are both 80 Plus Bronze which is 82% efficiency minimum. The Corsair is 80 Plus, so just 80% minimum. Any of them is fine, the Corsair is just a really good deal with the rebates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS


I just installed the corsair CX 430 and it's working great. I'm still waiting for my video card because I did send it back for a replacement (thought it might be a defective card). One question though, my old PSU has the fan at the back of the unit next to the plug for the power and the on/off button but now the corsair has the fan at the top (or is it bottom?) of the unit. My case does not have a ventilation at the top where I mount the PSU so now the fan on the PSU is actually facing inside towards the motherboard and the bottom of my case. Is this going to cause any problems with overheating?

Thanks again for the advice.
m
0
l
March 30, 2012 2:20:20 AM

Nope that is optimal. The fan is actually an intake so it will help with venting your case. It sucks air in, and it will travel over the PSU hardware and out the back.

Glad it's working for you, let us know if the 7750 works too!
m
0
l
March 31, 2012 3:41:58 AM

My Dell Studio took an Antec 750W. It was a tight fit but it made it.


m
0
l
April 6, 2012 7:03:05 PM

wolfram23 said:
Nope that is optimal. The fan is actually an intake so it will help with venting your case. It sucks air in, and it will travel over the PSU hardware and out the back.

Glad it's working for you, let us know if the 7750 works too!


I finally received my new card yesterday and it doesn't seem too promising :( 

I installed it and boot my computer up and the same thing happened. I unplug the card and plugged it back into the pcie slot, did this like 2-3 times and out of the blue suddenly the computer just booted up. As of right now (about 24 hours) it's working fine and I hope nothing else will happen.

Could it be that I have a bad MoBo or a bad PCI-E slot?
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 8:09:37 PM

Could be the PCIe slot, either dirty/dusty or just some weird issue with the card not fully getting inserted. I know with my case (Antec 902) for some reason with the mobo full down the top card would sit at a little angle. I had to unthread the mobo standoffs to get it in properly.
m
0
l
July 18, 2012 9:12:53 AM

I actually have the same system, and recently bought the same gigabyte card. It worked fine for a bit with the stock PSU, but under a heavy power load, the video card and the computer itself would apparently shut down, though fans and hard drives seemed to still be running. I assumed it was a power supply issue, so I bought the aforementioned cooler master 500w power supply. That appeared to have fixed the problem, though it has since happened again. From reading reviews of the coolermaster, it seems that is has some problems producing the advertised power..does this sound like a power supply issue?
m
0
l
!