Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3 pin cpu fan speed control with 4 pin motherboard

Last response: in Components
September 21, 2012 7:08:14 PM

I recently replaced the motherboard in my friends computer (the SATA controller was bad) with a foxconn A88GMX motherboard. The CPU heatsink and fan is a 3 pin connector. When I connected this to the motherboard 4 pin PWM header the CPU fan runs at full speed (like 4200 RPM) all the time and is very loud. I checked the BIOS for options to control the fan speed (manually or intelligently temp based) but it seems to only have options for a 4 pin fan. The motherboard came with a program called Fox One that looks like it has setting for fan controls in the manual, but whenever I try to run it, it says "This program does not support this model." Is there anyway for me to control the fan speed with this setup?

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 21, 2012 7:10:09 PM

You need a fan controller, 4 pin fans use PWM to control speed, 3 pin use voltage.
September 21, 2012 7:14:00 PM

So I'm assuming that the replacement board does not have options to control by altering the voltages... if a fan controller is my only option (besides replacing the fan and heatsink with a 4 pin connector) Do you have any recommendations for a budget controller?
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 3:49:34 PM

Best answer selected by rebelj.
m
l
!