I need 2x15 pin SATAs. Can I use some kind of adapter...

icandoit

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have my eye on this power supply (newegg link): http://tinyurl.com/7g9ra6b

It has virtually everything I need, however, I need 2x15 pin SATAs. Can I use some kind of adapter to make it into 15 pins? Would this 6 pin SATA power connector deliver enough power for a 15 pin SATA?

Also, Can you use a 20+4 main power connector for a motherboard that needs 24 pins? Would it supply enough power? I will be using it for gaming, therefore I will be using a lot of power. I want to make sure that I do not burn out the motherboard. :??:

Solution

SATA power connectors are industry-standard. If the PSU's spec sheet says "6x SATA power connectors" as is the case for the PSU you linked then you have six of those on it, usually split between two cables.

Newegg's spec sheet is simply incorrectly listing the SATA connectors as "5 pins" for some reason, likely because whoever set up the spec sheets for power supplies "guessed" the number of pins based on how one wire = one pin on all other PC power connectors.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I think that must be a mistake (it actually says 5pin connector). As far as I know a SATA connector is standardized. If you notice, most other PSU listing just list the number of SATA connectors available without specifying the number pins.

The 20+4 power connector will work with your 24 pin motherboard. That's what the plus 4 is for.

icandoit

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Oh! I read that wrong.

Okay, so what you're saying is that I can use a 5pin connector with a hard drive that needs 15 pins?? :??: :??:

15-pin SATA is just another way of saying a standard SATA connection. That PSU should have six of them and not need an adapter. I have to agree it looks like the place where it says "5-pin" must be a typo.

Yes, 20+4 will power a 24-pin motherboard. They make them that way so you can use the same PSU for either a 20-pin or 24-pin model.

Whatever you do, do not confuse the 6-pin PCIe or 6+2 pin PCIE for SATA plugs (not that they would fit), or more importantly for a 4+4 pin ATX plug that goes to the motherboard (which looks very similar and can be forced in sometimes). That's a good way to blow up your motherboard. The PCIe plugs are for video cards only.

icandoit

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thanks! Yeah, I won't confuse those haha.

So I can just use these SATA connectors for my hard drive that needs a 15 pin SATA power connector?

InvalidError

Titan

While the SATA power plugs have only five wires going into them, each power rail has multiple 'fingers' in the connector to spread current across more contacts and provide power sequencing/precharging for hot-swapping. Ground fingers make first / break last so ESD has the highest chance of safely discharging to GND, precharge fingers make/break second to avoid sudden current surges when on-board caps start charging, high-current rail connections make last / break first. The order is mechanically set by contact bump positions in the connector.

This is very common in hot-plugable hardware.

icandoit

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thank you!
Maybe I'm just confused on what pins are.
Are these the pins?
30bcivk.jpg

icandoit

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Alright. Just to be extra sure before I place my order, are the SATA pins in http://tinyurl.com/7g9ra6b the same as the picture above? I didn't fully understand your post; I really am a beginner haha. :D

InvalidError

Titan

SATA power connectors are industry-standard. If the PSU's spec sheet says "6x SATA power connectors" as is the case for the PSU you linked then you have six of those on it, usually split between two cables.

Newegg's spec sheet is simply incorrectly listing the SATA connectors as "5 pins" for some reason, likely because whoever set up the spec sheets for power supplies "guessed" the number of pins based on how one wire = one pin on all other PC power connectors.

Solution