Sign in with
Your question

First time building a PC

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2012 2:16:58 AM

So this will be my first time building a PC. After doing minimal research I've decided to get these parts. Is everything I listed so far compatible? And I'm still unsure on what I'm suppose to look for in terms of power supply and cases, so I'll need help on that. Thanks.

Power Supply: Undecided
Motherboards http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Video Card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
Memory: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Hard Drives: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
Cases: Undecided
Cooling: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

More about : time building

a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2012 2:32:12 AM

excellent . Links to click .my favorite thing
May 29, 2012 3:04:21 AM

That MoBo will not work with your CPU. Pick a MoBo that has an LGA 1155 socket. I would suggest a Gigabyte z77x-d3h (assuming your not planning on SLI/xFire'ing).

I don't know based on experience but some people had problems installing their Corsair Vengeance RAM with that CPU cooler. I would suggest G-skill 1600 RAM or a low-profile RAM.

For cases, can you tell us your budget? Can't really suggest improvements when we don't know your price range. Thanks.
Related resources
May 29, 2012 3:05:45 AM

Congrats on starting your first build! A few issues with that setup, but a good first attempt.

In order to give the best advice, we need to know 1) what you want from your system, and 2) what your budget is.

I'll go ahead and give a suggested build based on what it looks like you're trying to accomplish:

• CD Drive: LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM
  • Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow w/ USB 3.0 ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case
    Notes: I've used these cases for 3 builds now, really stylish look and solid cooling and soundproofing.
  • Graphics Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1361-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    Notes: Not as powerful as the card you listed, but very capable and quiet. I'm not sure what games you want to be able to play at what settings...
  • Power Supply: Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91, 80Plus Gold Certified, Modular Power Supply
    Notes: Seasonic manufactures their own units and have excellent build quality. This PSU has a gold efficiency rating (above bronze and silver, so you save more in electricity over time) and is fully modular so you won't end up with a huge mess of cables stuffed into your case (you'll thank me when you go to assemble it). When buying power supplies, *never* go cheap (you'll generally be spending $60 and up). You can find units for $10 that are genuine fire hazards. You want good build quality with (if possible) Japanese capacitors and a decent efficiency rating -- you really have to do the research. Antec, Corsair and Seasonic (and others I'm less familiar with, I'm sure) are solid brands, I personally favor Seasonic for various reasons.
  • Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
    Notes: I favor Kingston because they have the lowest return rates (indicating good quality assurance). Anecdotally, I've built 7 systems with their memory with good results.
  • Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
    Notes: This is a solid motherboard that supports Intel's newest Ivy Bridge processors. I used this in a system I just built a few days ago... Might change this up depending on your budget and what your goals are.
  • CPU/Processor: Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450
    Notes: This is an Intel Ivy Bridge cpu which is a release cycle ahead of the older Sandy Bridge cpus. Ivy Bridge is a smart place to start if you're building a new system, and the i5 has really solid performance for gaming (are you gaming...? Could be overkill depending on your goals).
  • Solid State Drive: Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Notes: This video shows you why you'd want a SSD (just saying they're remarkably fast doesn't do it justice). Compared to regular hard drives, SSDs are smaller, have no moving parts, more expensive, and have less capacity, but make your computer quick and snappy like no other piece of hardware. I recommend SSDs for all systems $800 and above. If you want more storage than 120GB, you'll also want a regular hard drive.
    TOTAL: $1,018.42

So in closing, please tell us exactly what you plan to use the computer for, whether you already have essentials like a keyboard mouse and monitor, and what your budget is.
    May 29, 2012 3:22:46 AM

Thank you all for the replies, it's very much appreciated. My budget is around $1000 and I want to use it for gaming. However, I want it so that is can run most, if not all games on high as I don't care much about playing my games on max/ultra. I will also need a mouse, keyboard and monitor. I also realized my dumb mistake with the CPU and motherboard... Thanks again everyone. :) 
    May 29, 2012 3:26:00 AM

If Possible, do you mind telling how I can determine which case and psi is compatible with a build. Also, is a heat sink/fan necessary? I was told I did not have to worry about it as a first time builder and I don't see one listed in your suggested build, so I'm wondering if I can forget about it.
    May 29, 2012 5:30:28 AM

You can basically use any case you like, so long as the components (namely the motherboard, and also the graphics card) can fit inside it comfortably. There are a few standard sizes: ATX (standard/large), Micro-ATX (medium) and Mini-ITX (tiny).

As for the PSU (power supply unit), they're designed to fit the common sizes (ATX, micro-ATX). Smaller cases like mini-itx often come with their own PSU or require you to buy smaller ones. The main thing is making sure your CPU and motherboard are compatible.

As for cpu coolers and fans, they aren't a necessity. The stock cpu cooler that comes with Intel and AMD processors is underwhelming compared to the large block-style ones, but they're satisfactory if you aren't overclocking (speeding up the rate at which your hardware runs, which requires extra cooling). The stock coolers are also much easier to install, so ideal for new builders like yourself.

If your budget is around $1000, we'll need to lower the current cost by at least $130ish in order to include a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

You can find decent keyboard + mouse combos for about $20, but you may prefer a certain feel/button set/design for them.

Choosing a monitor also comes down to preference, I recommend browsing Newegg a bit (under the LCD monitors section)to find a screen size that seems ideal (for example, a 17 inch monitor is probably the smallest you might consider, measured diagonally from the corners of the screen). A basic 17incher can usually be had for around $110 or so. Once you've decided on a monitor, it's easier to budget the rest of your system.
    a b ) Power supply
    May 29, 2012 6:25:21 AM

the hard drive you picked out is for ext to the case. you want an internal sata drive. if you have a micro center near they have the ib 3450 that 149.00 it stock speed is only a little slower then the 2500.
    case r300 it can take up to a 17 inch long card.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
    i have this case with a asus sabertoth build and a entermax 140mm cooler. the only thig i had to do was remove the rear fan then install the larger sabertooth mb.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
    the vengance ram is a good ram just buy the ones with the short heat spreader..called low profile ram.
    !