HD 6850/70 or HD 7770 for Diablo 3, movies - on a brand new system

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hey, so in following the guidelines for requesting advice on a new GPU, there is some info that I just don't have (i.e. current GPU, PSU) because I am building a new system from scratch and I still have some decisions to make (including what GPU to get).

First of all, my only real need is the ability to run Diablo 3 at 1920x1080. Blizzard recommends an HD 4850 (recommended, not minimum req.), so the three models I have narrowed it down to are certainly capable of running this game on pretty high settings - I should add that I don't really care about playing the game on max settings, just enough to make the experience a good one. Other than that, I only need to watch movies occasionally, I may hook myself up with a TV tuner (really basic stuff, just ClearQAM channels and Standard Def.) so I could probably rely on Intel HD Graphics for that (on my mobo). Beyond that it's just web browsing and photoshop.

PSU: Depending on the power needs of my other components, I have been looking at the Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W as a PSU. Just FYI.

I have no need/desire to utilize Crossfire.

Power consumption and Noise Reduction are my two primary concerns, and both are more important to me than overall performance.
That's why I'm considering the HD 7770, because I've heard they are much quieter and consume much less power.

FYI, here is a list of components that is probably 80-90% set in stone:
CPU - Intel i7 Core 2600K
Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
GPU - HD 6850 / 6870 / 7770
RAM - 16GB (2x 8GB) Mushkin DDR3 1333
Boot Drive - 120+GB SSD
Work Drive - 1TB+ 7200RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s bare drive
PSU - Seasonic SS-560KM Active PFC F3, 560W
Case - Fractal Design Define R3 Pearl Black, or similarly priced sound-dampening case

If you are recommending one GPU over another, please include information as to why you made that recommendation. (i.e. less power consumption, better performance for the cost, etc.). If you recommend a specific GPU, please include the Brand and Model so I can do more research about that particular GPU (I like seeing at least 4 eggs on Newegg.com user reviews, and the more reviews available the better - however, I can't seem to find many HD 7770s on Newegg.com, Microcenter.com, etc. that have a lot of reviews)

Let me know if you need more detailed information to make a recommendation. Thanks!

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks, it's interesting to see how the three cards I'm looking at all fall into only 2 tiers, and they are right next to each other in this chart. That tells me that I really don't need to worry about a signification loss of performance when choosing any one of these GPUs over the other. Because that seems to be the case, I can probably select the GPU that uses the least amount of power, or has the best balance of power consumption to performance and cost.

Another member mentioned the following to me about GPUs and their power consumption:

The main reason I suggested a HD 7000 series card was because they have extremely good performance per watt ie. low power consumption. Normally this will mean a much cooler and quieter system. The HD 7850 should give performance similar to the GTX 570 or HD 6970 while consuming almost half the power. The next step down in this series of cards would be the HD 7770, this also offers excellent performance per watt. It is similar to the GTX 460 1GB and HD 6850 in performance but again, consumes far less power. This card should also be fine for Diablo 3.
GPU's vary a lot, the HD 7770 will be roughly 80W and the HD 7850 around 120W while the HD 6870 is around 160-170W.

If this information is correct, the difference in power consumption is pretty huge - the wattage drawn by the 6870 is essentially double that of the ASUS HD 7770. Because I'm going to get a sound-dampening case, low power consumption translates even more to low heat (sound dampening foam contributes to insulation of heat, so low power = low heat = less noise = less problems).

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
You won't have any issues using a 7770 although performance per dollar is much better for the 6850/6870. Since you aren't all too concerned with MAX settings, and want low power/heat/ect. then I'd go for the 7770. Also, you don't seem to be doing anything that would require the i7-2600k over the similar i5-2500k. If you have no OC'ing intentions or need for 8 threads, the i5-2400 would be a much better choice.

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Actually the real reason I'm building this system is for live audio recording and post-production editing, as well as internet marketing. Some of the software I use for internet marketing can be quite intensive, requiring large amounts of data to be transferred at a time and many commands to be carried out in quick succession.

I went with the i7 over the i5 because I do not intend to OC, and if I find myself with even greater processing demands in the future, the i7 will give me a stronger foundation.

Gaming capability is more of an afterthought. I don't even own a current-gen gaming console (Wii, PS3, Xbox) - Diablo 3 is just a game I've been waiting years to play :D

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

You can save some money (about $25) and get a locked i7 since you won't be OC'ing i7-2600 (non-k).
Personally I've never seen hyper-threading give much of a benefit which is why I'm kind of against it for a $100 increase in price :p but if you have a use for 8 threads then more power to you!

geotek

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
For diablo 3 a 7770 is plenty video card power at least with the beta. Diablo 3 seems to be more cpu heavy. Ive tested 2 computers both at 1080p, both have 5770s one has a 3.0ghz dual core and the other has a 3.0ghz quad core; and the dual core machine gets very choppy during bigger fights whereas the quad core is as smooth as butter. My guess is because diablo 3 has a lot of physics going on, especially when dozens of skeletons bones are flying everywhere bouncing off eachother and other things.

bjsdtl

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012

Yes, I would hate for all the rag-doll physics to get choppy when corpses are flying every which way! :na:

Interesting note about the CPU, though. Thanks for the insight.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

It cost almost $100 more than the one's they are looking at :p
However the 7850/7870 are very very impressive and I suggest them all the time when price and needs match up. :)

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

If D3 is your only concern (it is also mine :D), be wary about buying the 7800 series. Tom's review said the 7850 didn't like Blizzard games much: problems with Starcraft II and WoW; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-21.html

I was considering buying one but now I'm not so sure.

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

I would still err on the side of caution and wait until they're fixed before purchasing though.