Full Screen Game Flickering

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2012 7:11:48 PM

Recently I was playing with the high contrast setting on my laptop. When I tried to play a fullscreen game with it on, there was a bunch of red flickering in the background. After I changed from high contrast, it still continued. VSync helped a little, but the problem is still there. Is there any way I can fix it? Any information will help me. Thanks for your time!

More about : full screen game flickering

March 28, 2012 7:18:47 PM

JonesAddict said:
Recently I was playing with the high contrast setting on my laptop. When I tried to play a fullscreen game with it on, there was a bunch of red flickering in the background. After I changed from high contrast, it still continued. VSync helped a little, but the problem is still there. Is there any way I can fix it? Any information will help me. Thanks for your time!

Need more information such as model of laptop sounds like you need to upgrade your video drivers.
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:22:06 PM

My laptop is an Alienware M18xR1 with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M graphics card. I only recently got the drivers and they are up to date.
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2012 7:23:34 PM

Errr, I meant the laptop, not the driver. It's a brand new Alienware laptop.
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:26:32 PM

If the driver is up to date then there is a graphics engine problem you might want to check settings for AA or other advanced settings.
What game are you having problems with?.
m
l
March 28, 2012 7:29:26 PM

What is AA, exactly? I'm having problems with APB and Champions Online. Though Combat Arms is perfectly fine. When I put them in windows, everything is normal. It's only fullscreen that makes the red flickering.
m
l
March 28, 2012 9:40:01 PM

I just used System Restore and it still does it.
m
l
March 29, 2012 2:38:48 AM

Alright, I have found out that it is actually my power converter that is the problem. When I unplug my laptop the red flickering no longer occurs... Now I suppose I have to make a new post for this problem.
m
l
October 29, 2012 8:47:15 AM

JonesAddict said:
Alright, I have found out that it is actually my power converter that is the problem. When I unplug my laptop the red flickering no longer occurs... Now I suppose I have to make a new post for this problem.

I have the same exact problem, Did u fix it?
And can u tell me how u did it
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:52:38 PM

The problem was with my SLI which I found out after I posted this in here. I haven't sent mine back to Alienware yet however that is the only way I know how to fix it. To get rid of the flicker, all you have to do is turn off SLI in the settings and it should go away. This, however, does not fix the problem and you will probably have to take it somewhere or take off the keyboard and try to fix it yourself. Hope this helps!
m
l
!