basic battery charger question

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
July 15, 2005 3:19:50 PM

Hi, RPD,

I'm just starting to learn about the various issues surrounding
rechargeable batteries. I wanted to have a couple of fresh ones on
hand right away, so the other day I took what the camera store offered:
Ansmann 1650mAh 1.2V NiMH AAs.

The only recharger in the house is a Duracell CEF90NC "30-minute"
charger with which I'm not especially familiar. It came with 2050mAh
1.2V NiMH AAs that are starting to wear out.
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000255IU...;
My question is whether there's any real risk to safety or battery
welfare if I pop the Ansmanns into the charger.

The charger's manual is long gone. From my online research since
buying the batteries, I get the impression that the charger should be
perfectly fine with the Ansmanns as long as I don't mix brands and
don't notice the batteries getting very hot. But I don't like to play
games with electricity or anything with "Caution: [x behavior] can
cause an explosion" written on it. :)  I don't know if there's enough of
a chemical or physical design difference between battery brands to
cause one brand of NiMH rechargeable to short out or worse in a
different brand of charger.

>From my reading, I gather that the charger is probably a "fast"
charger; from its behavior, it appears to be somewhat "smart" in that
it shuts itself off within a couple of hours of charging depleted
batteries. Should the charger be able to sense the much lower cutoff
point of the Ansmanns, or is it equally possible that it's hardwired
for the capacity of the included AAs and would heavily overcharge the
Ansmanns?

I don't need *all* the answers, just enough for me to test the
battery-charger combination without fearing for my safety. If the
batteries still conk out for some reason, it's not a terrific loss. :)

Thanks,
false_dmitrii
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 7:27:24 PM

<false_dmitrii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, RPD,
>
> I'm just starting to learn about the various issues surrounding
> rechargeable batteries. I wanted to have a couple of fresh ones on
> hand right away, so the other day I took what the camera store offered:
> Ansmann 1650mAh 1.2V NiMH AAs.
>
> The only recharger in the house is a Duracell CEF90NC "30-minute"
> charger with which I'm not especially familiar. It came with 2050mAh
> 1.2V NiMH AAs that are starting to wear out.
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000255IU...;
> My question is whether there's any real risk to safety or battery
> welfare if I pop the Ansmanns into the charger.

Should work fine.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:53:32 AM

On 15 Jul 2005 22:37:45 -0700, false_dmitrii@yahoo.com wrote:

> Are there any good recharger faqs someone can recommend? So far I've
> found Imaging Resource's Great Battery Shootout via Steve's Digicams,
> plus the info and links on the DPFWIW site. They were helpful, but I
> couldn't find much discussion of cross-brand safety issues.

If the batteries get too hot too often, they'll have to be
replaced sooner rather than later. But I doubt that there's
anything to be concerned about. NiMH cells aren't tempermental.
Li-ion rechargeable, on the other hand can raise significant safety
issues if something goes awry with the charger. Many early Apple
laptops had to be returned since the batteries occasionally produced
such intense heat that they melted the innards and create little
Apple infernos. Some people claim that if improperly charged,
lithium batteries somtimes explode. I'm not sure if that has
happened or not, but if it's not just a legend, it probably isn't
that much of a problem these days, as the lithium batteries now
include some protecive circuitry. But buy cheap imported batteries
from eBay (aren't they all?), and you may someday get burned. :)
July 16, 2005 8:59:05 PM

On 15 Jul 2005 11:19:50 -0700, false_dmitrii@yahoo.com wrote:

>I'm just starting to learn about the various issues surrounding
>rechargeable batteries. I wanted to have a couple of fresh ones on
>hand right away, so the other day I took what the camera store offered:
> Ansmann 1650mAh 1.2V NiMH AAs.

Those are rather low capacity. At places like Target or Costco you can get
2300 or 2500 mAh for $2.50 each or less.

Don <www.donwiss.com&gt; (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:32:08 AM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:59:05 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

>> Ansmann 1650mAh 1.2V NiMH AAs.
>
> Those are rather low capacity. At places like Target or Costco you can get
> 2300 or 2500 mAh for $2.50 each or less.

Not only low, but they were probably manufactured several years
ago, so their true capacity may now be less than 1650mah.
!