Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU Fan and PWR Fan RPM's

Last response: in Components
Share
September 22, 2012 1:18:13 AM

First and foremost...I'm just curious as to if my CPU fan RPM seem alright...

I'm using an EVO 212 for a CPU cooler, the Bios says is operating anywhere from 680-690 RPM.

My back exhaust fan (Silent Thermaltake 120mm fan included with my case) has me a little bit more confused however...

The fan doesn't really feel like its blowing out much air when I put my hand over it...the Bios says its spinning around 1040 RPM or so. This fan is plugged into the PWR Fan connector on my MB, which I thought would have it spinning at 100% all the time. 1040 just seems low for 100%. Is this actually low, or am I crazy?

More about : cpu fan pwr fan rpm

a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
September 22, 2012 1:38:30 AM

Those stock fans aren't very good at pushing a lot of air regardless of their RPM, unfortunately :( 

I'm not too sure of the Thermaltake stock fans, but from my personal experience, all the stock fans I've had didn't push a lot of air.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 1:52:57 AM

What is the temp. of the CPU? That is the real question. If the CPU is hot you need to increase the fan speed. That can be done in the BIOS.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
September 22, 2012 1:58:29 AM

I don't think OP is really worried about his CPU temperatures, however, that's a good question to be asked.

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
September 22, 2012 2:09:17 AM

In general, silent fans don't spin very fast ("silent" 120mm fans between 900 and 1500), even less the larger they are. There are exceptions, ofc, as there is to everything.

1040 RPM is a little strange though, as fans mostly spin at increments of 100, like 700, 900, ... 1600, ... Sometimes of 50, but I've never seen a 40.

So I guess it's regulated by your motherboard. Check if it's a PWM fan (4pins, not 3), that could explain the regulation and still report as a 100% speed setting.

Also check if the fan faces in the correct direction: blowing air out of the case, not into it.

m
0
l
September 22, 2012 5:52:18 AM

knightdog56 said:
What is the temp. of the CPU? That is the real question. If the CPU is hot you need to increase the fan speed. That can be done in the BIOS.


Idle CPU temp is right around 30 give or take 2 degrees...Load temps shoot up to 58-65 or so

Quote:
In general, silent fans don't spin very fast ("silent" 120mm fans between 900 and 1500), even less the larger they are. There are exceptions, ofc, as there is to everything.

1040 RPM is a little strange though, as fans mostly spin at increments of 100, like 700, 900, ... 1600, ... Sometimes of 50, but I've never seen a 40.

So I guess it's regulated by your motherboard. Check if it's a PWM fan (4pins, not 3), that could explain the regulation and still report as a 100% speed setting.

Also check if the fan faces in the correct direction: blowing air out of the case, not into it.


It's actually anywhere from 1017-1021. Not the 1040 I reported earlier...just checked again.

The Fan is 3 pins...connected to the Pwrfan 3 pin connector on my MB
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
September 22, 2012 6:43:08 AM

What CPU are you using? From the sounds of it, you don't need to worry too much about your CPU if you're using Intel.

m
0
l
September 22, 2012 4:40:40 PM

mocchan said:
What CPU are you using? From the sounds of it, you don't need to worry too much about your CPU if you're using Intel.



It's a 3570k @ stock speed...for now.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a c 109 à CPUs
September 22, 2012 9:42:55 PM

Nothing to worry about in that case regarding CPU temps :)  perfectly normal.
Share
September 22, 2012 10:11:52 PM

alright good to hear...thanks!
m
0
l
October 14, 2012 3:50:08 PM

Best answer selected by miketen587.
m
0
l
!