Unexpected bonus raising PSU concerns

tiddy

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I put together my first build recently, planning to buy a GPU after the main box was up and running. I was aiming for a AMD 6950 (MSI Twin Frozr3 OC specifically) but was having no luck finding them in stock for reasonable money. After being frustrated a few too many times, I decided to take the plunge on a 7850 instead and preordered a MSI Twin Frozr3 edition.

It came yesterday, I was reading the box and wondering why the back was covered with info for the 7870 instead of info for the card I bought. It was at this point I made the massively pleasant discovery that I seem to have been sent a 7870 by mistake.

Putting aside the moral question as to whether I contact the retailer to tell them about their mistake, now I come down to my slight dilemma. I understand that 7870 is supposed to need a 500w psu minimum (according to AMD and MSI) but a few specs I've read within various reviews and benchmark tests say the actual minimum should be a 550 watt psu which is exactly what I've got (corsair TX550 Modular) and I'm a little uncomfortable about having a PSU that's the bare minimum required.

Current system:
i5 2500k at stock speeds,
500gb HD,
optical drive
8gb Corsair vengeance ram
4 12volt case fans (with plans to add a 5th 140mm fan for my intake once I get an extension cable)
Near future upgrades may include a SSD and maybe a slightly quieter aftermarket CPU cooler.
I'm not contemplating overclocking just yet and when I do, I would obviously upgrade the psu. The question is whether I do so now.

Am I being daft worrying about my 550w PSU being inadequate or should I consider getting a higher wattage psu now rather than later?

Hello,

First off, nice! Second off, what Power supply do you have? If it's a good one - you should be fine. If it's a cheap brand like rocketfish you might have issues.

Edit: My bad. I missed your PSU part. I looked it up - and you should be good to go! Don't try and overclock yet though ,as it may push your PSU to it's limits.

tiddy

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
It was very nice. I opened the box to check (as the 7850 is kinda short and stubby compared to the 7870) and I'm not ashamed to admit I did a little dance.

The PSU is a corsair. It's a TX550 Modular.

I would keep the "free" upgrade if I were you. Yea it's not nice to keep something that really shouldn't be yours, however on the flip side your dealing with (probably) a large company.

You should be able to rock out with that GPU and PSU no problem!

RussK1

Splendid
A person that compromises their values have no values. Saying this, are you a moral person? If so, call the company and they'll probably tell you to keep it and you'll feel better.

Another thing to note, if something happens you won't have a warranty because I'm sure the invoice is for a 7850.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Flip a coin. You could end up getting some minimum wage employee fired for shipping a $100 extra card.

If for some reason you do return it, make sure to hide a note in the manual saying to post here. :)

RussK1

Splendid

He should be fired, he can't read. :lol:

TRENDING THREADS