Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Avoiding overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2012 8:47:01 PM

I have an EVGA GTX 470 that I am going to be repurposing towards BOINC usage (protein folding) 24/7 (when i'm not gaming), and am worried about the card overheating. my case has plenty of cooling, I am not over clocking anything, and there is plenty of ventilation out the back. I just worry about accidentally killing my components.

The specs are:
ASUS Sabretooth x58 motherboard
Intel Core i7-950 (stock heatsink/fan)
6x 2GB PC-1333 crucial ram modules (no heat spreaders)
EVGA Geforce GTX 470
NZXT Gamma classic series case
Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze PSU (replaced my cheap-o power supply from the initial build that fried itself)

More about : avoiding overheating

a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2012 9:09:50 PM

Those cards get pretty hot. I'd recommend creating a custom fan profile (not sure how for Nvidia, I'm an AMD guy) to be sure it's cooling more than it normally would. Your goal should be the lowest temps possible without making your computer sound like a lawnmower. It's not like you're going to fry the GPU from doing this, but running at high temps 24/7 will give it a much shorter lifespan due to the stress.
March 28, 2012 9:18:15 PM

Download EVGA precision and use that to create a fan profile as suggested. You can customer tailor to suit you need.

For the latest version:

http://www.evga.com/precision/

You can use an older version also, they all can be used to create a fan profile.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 236 U Graphics card
March 28, 2012 10:53:16 PM

Graphics cards do run hot, but they are designed to tolerate heat.

I would not worry much about it if you have decent case ventilation.

In the event that a graphics card gets dangerously hot, it will downclock itself to protect itself.

If you can tolerate more noise, you can adjust the fan speed upward, but that will reduce the longevity of the fan.
I think leave well enough alone so long as you have no problems.

You might invest in a $30 cpu cooler, it will keep your cpu cooler and quieter. Perhaps a cm hyper212?
March 29, 2012 2:21:31 AM

t53186 said:
Download EVGA precision and use that to create a fan profile as suggested. You can customer tailor to suit you need.

For the latest version:

http://www.evga.com/precision/

You can use an older version also, they all can be used to create a fan profile.

Did this, was not aware the fan could rev that high. reset to auto and i will now be trusting my machine to not burn itself out.
bad experience with cheap power supply makes me hesitant, but everything seems ok.

Thanks!
March 29, 2012 2:21:55 AM

Best answer selected by mrsaber.
!