PlayStation 3 GPU Less Powerful than GeForce 7800

Mike

Splendid

Well, I have to admit that I was a little bias towards the PS3, but I really
did want it to be the power house they all made us believe it was going to
be, if only for the sake of raising the bar in terms of graphics and
computing power. So, i'm really disappointed to hear this. The Cell is
definitely not going to be able to compensate for this. I really hope the
next generation doesn't end up like this one, with underpowered PS3 ports
going to the Xbox360. One good thing this time around though is that Sony's
machine will have shader capabilities, and so i'm sure it will still look
great if they port them over to the 360.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/

Jordan

You're barking up the wrong tree by trying to run down the GF7800...

Why? Because it doesn't really matter if the PS3 is slightly less
powerful than the 7800. That's, currently, a top of the line graphics
card but guess what? PC developers code for the lowest common
denominator.

As long as developers are coding for the "32 MB 3D graphics card with
hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2" and "DirectX®
9.0c" (taken from the World of Warcraft system requirement) then the
PS3 has nothing to worry about. By the time the GeForce 7800 becomes
the minimum requirement for PC gaming the PS4 will be out.

In the mean time, console gamers will be enjoying graphics that PC
owners will get around 2008.

- Jordan

> case and point!

I really wasn't following this thread, but please try and leave what you
are commenting about in your reply.

Thanks.

Jordan

Well, that's one of the reasons I tend to run down PC titles. PC fans
like to talk about how they can run games at x resolution or x frames
per second, but they forget that it doesn't matter if you have weak
textures and graphics.

I admit, I don't have a top of the line graphics card, I've got a
Radeon 9550, but Guild Wars doesn't have the framework to look any
better than this:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/3999/gw0017sk.jpg

or this:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/7025/gw0027sx.jpg

While at the same time consoles are doing work like this:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/jadeempire/screens.html?page=174

and this:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/jadeempire/screens.html?page=134

Well, there's really no contest.

If developers really took advantage of things like the GeForce 7800
then the PS3 and Xbox 360 would be in trouble... but no developer is
going to spend tons of money making a game that requires a $300 video
card. That's why consoles were invented. :^)

- Jordan

- Jordan

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
You're barking up the wrong tree by trying to run down the GF7800...

Why? Because it doesn't really matter if the PS3 is slightly less
powerful than the 7800. That's, currently, a top of the line graphics
card but guess what? PC developers code for the lowest common
denominator.

As long as developers are coding for the "32 MB 3D graphics card with
hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2" and "DirectX®
9.0c" (taken from the World of Warcraft system requirement) then the
PS3 has nothing to worry about. By the time the GeForce 7800 becomes
the minimum requirement for PC gaming the PS4 will be out.

In the mean time, console gamers will be enjoying graphics that PC
owners will get around 2008.

- Jordan

Never looked at it that way. Good point.