CCLEANER and Pagefile Adjustment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

febfive

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Hello I need some feedback and guide to all the pro out there.

Is the ccleaner safe to use? What are the advantages and disadvantages using ccleaner?
If anyone knows about it or familiar with the ccleaner please let me know if it is good or bad.

And i found this video at youtube saying that it can increase my pc performance by adjusting the virtual memory pagefile setting.
Anyone familiar? is this a good idea? I want to know if adjusting pagefile can affect the cpu temp?.

http://youtu.be/DWCVhk5gTps

Or if anyone knows a better solution and tips on how can I increase my pc performance with no risk much better.

My specs:
Processor: Phenom II X4 965BE 3.4GHz
GPU: EVGA GTS 450
RAM: 4GB 1333MHz
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II Bronze 620W
Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Solution
I use CCleaner and have not had any problems with it. I have also increased the virtual memory pagefile size and have not had any problems. As far as I can tell it does not impact the CPU temp. Some things that may help increase performance include defragging the hard drive (I use Defraggler) and running MSCONFIG to stop programs and services that you don't need or use. Be careful not to disable system essential services. If you are not sure what it does I suggest you Google it first.

CCleaner is safe to use. It can clean up a lot of temporary and cached data. Sometimes this can improve Windows loading time and general responsiveness. Contrary to popular believe CCleaner will rarely ever fix problems.

As for the pagefile, it has several uses.

First, it serves as a place to store crashdumps and other information in the event of a BSOD. The pagefile must have a minimum size of around 1GiB for crashdumps to be stored properly.

Second, it allows for the PC to be put into hibernation. When the PC is put into hibernation, the contents of the physical memory will be written to the pagefile.

Third, it allows for the operating system to store allocated but infrequently used application, kernel, and driver memory in virtual memory which is located outside the physical memory (namely on the storage device). This frees up the physical memory for more demanding usage. This is called "swapping", the pagefile can also be called a 'swap file' or 'swap space'.

A pagefile is not strictly necessary for Windows to operate. You can safely disable it but you will have to keep two things in mind.

First, you will not be able to analyse a BSOD.

Second, your applications will only have access to physical memory. The kernel will not be able to shift application memory into swap space and this can result in you running out of memory which will almost always cause an application to crash.

With only 4GiB of installed memory I would highly recommend leaving the pagefile at 4-8GB or simply letting the system handle the size. If you want to increase the performance of your machine by a little bit you should invest in another 4GiB of memory if you have the space (same make/model as you have now is preferred), or a new 8GiB set if you don't.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS