Sign in with
Your question

Catalyst 12.3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2012 11:28:03 PM

Hey,

So it looks like 12.3 is out right now, just got released today. Anyone trying it out? Anyone have issues with it? Would be good to read your feedback.

W7 64bit link:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...

I'm going to try this one out. I noticed a minor issue with my SC2 with 12.2. When vsync is disabled, every once in a while i'll see a texture in the shape of a triangle out of place but it's only for less than a second.

More about : catalyst

March 29, 2012 6:46:38 PM

I have the ATI Radeon HD 5450 that shipped with my Dell XPS 8300 (not a person who needs an awesome graphics card and not a person that makes any changes in the Catalyst Control Center). I'm running Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1 on an intel i7-2600. About a month ago I was backing up my computer, doing a bunch of updates, noticed a graphics update and updated to Catalyst 12.1, with the notion that I should probably keep my graphics driver updated (overriding my usual rule of thumb, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but I get daring after my whole system is backed up, lol)

Thereafter, everytime I would restart the computer I would get the a popup that said "AML Device Install" and if I tried to launch the Catalyst Control Center, I got the message : Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center."

So I updated to 12.3 and now on startup I get a message that says "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding Device Initialization" on startup. Is this normal? (I can launch CCC normally now though at least). Is there cause for concern?

I see a lot of folks having more serious issues with this on the AMD forums regarding temperatures, I think I'm going to try and rollback to the config that came with the PC after I figure out the right way to do that.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 7:49:13 PM

silvery said:
I have the ATI Radeon HD 5450 that shipped with my Dell XPS 8300 (not a person who needs an awesome graphics card and not a person that makes any changes in the Catalyst Control Center). I'm running Windows 7 64 bit service pack 1 on an intel i7-2600. About a month ago I was backing up my computer, doing a bunch of updates, noticed a graphics update and updated to Catalyst 12.1, with the notion that I should probably keep my graphics driver updated (overriding my usual rule of thumb, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but I get daring after my whole system is backed up, lol)

Thereafter, everytime I would restart the computer I would get the a popup that said "AML Device Install" and if I tried to launch the Catalyst Control Center, I got the message : Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using Catalyst Control Center."

So I updated to 12.3 and now on startup I get a message that says "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding Device Initialization" on startup. Is this normal? (I can launch CCC normally now though at least). Is there cause for concern?

I see a lot of folks having more serious issues with this on the AMD forums regarding temperatures, I think I'm going to try and rollback to the config that came with the PC after I figure out the right way to do that.

I got that exact same thing on install "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding Device Initialization" i'm sure it is normal, it seemed to have taken a while though to install on my fast system (about 2minutes). Also I noticed in 12.3 before my comp crashed last night that there's an option to convert video files just by dragging and dropping...however I do not know exactly how this works as I haven't tried it yet.

Edit: I just wanted to say - I don't think the 12.3 drivers crashed my system...I believe my PSU died last night.
Related resources
March 29, 2012 8:10:46 PM

I'm so sorry about your PSU. . Thanks for replying, I guess that new startup message is part of the new CCC, dunno. I suppose there maybe a way to hide or disable it in startup.

That drag and drop conversion could be convenient for those who do that kind of thing often.

I was surprised at the installation time as well, most things are lickety split on my PC.

I just reverted to the "Dell" recommended driver package (includes CCC) that originally came with the PC and will just leave that alone for now. If I was a gamer or someone that had a need to tweak graphics settings on my two different displays though I'd be really annoyed I think.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2012 8:19:11 PM

silvery said:
I'm so sorry about your PSU. . Thanks for replying, I guess that new startup message is part of the new CCC, dunno. I suppose there maybe a way to hide or disable it in startup.

That drag and drop conversion could be convenient for those who do that kind of thing often.

I was surprised at the installation time as well, most things are lickety split on my PC.

I just reverted to the "Dell" recommended driver package (includes CCC) that originally came with the PC and will just leave that alone for now. If I was a gamer or someone that had a need to tweak graphics settings on my two different displays though I'd be really annoyed I think.

Yeah thanks for that. Although thats strange that startup message continually appears on your system. I only had to restart once and then it came up with the CMD prompt and started installing that thing - after that it never showed up again.
March 29, 2012 8:39:45 PM

Yeah I found it strange too, I also got the CMD prompt that finishes the install, think it had a countdown of about 20 to 30 seconds, but these other messages are different and show up each time.

Judging by my web searches, a lot more folks got that "AML Device Install" CMD prompt thing after they upgraded to 12.2 (I got it after 12.1 and never installed 12.2).

I thought I'd go ahead and post since 12.3 is so new and I could not find any results for the "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding Device Initialization" message yet out there.

In any case I'm reading lots of different issues with the 12.1 to 12.3 versions and in my case I don't really need any of the features in these new versions so for me rolling back is cool.

Incidentally I was getting a pixelated green screen when going full screen on youtube vids. If I minimized and went to full screen again normal video returned. I mistakenly thought this was a driver issue and an update would take care of it. The fix for this issue however was in the Adobe Flash Player settings for me, I had to uncheck enable hardware acceleration.
April 5, 2012 11:42:07 PM

I'm not sure exactly what it does, but if you want, you could install ccleaner, go to tools, click startup, then disable AMD AVT and it won't appear anymore.
!