Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
As I've been pushing and shoving this XP OS (to the best of my feable ability) I've come to like it pretty well. However, I put a new GeForce 2 MX400 in after Christmas and things started acting different. At some point between the grand finale and my putting in the card, I noticed my Norton AV being disabled... then I noticed all of the system restore points seemed to disappear... then one day I walk in the room to a BSOD which appeared to say something different than it had in the past... so I reset the system and got a "file missing or corrupt in windows\system32\config\system" error upon reboot... and it gets better.. I put in the WinXP CD so I could hit 'r' to repair (as the error screen suggested) and I could never get to the that point... the CD would begin to load and get to the point where it says "Starting to load Windows" (or something like that) and it would just sit there for 10 minutes or so until it said "A kernel thread terminated while holding a mutex" - I said "what the hell does that mean?".. [shrug]... So I began to try to reinstall,reformat, and even change hard drives, and all I would get was to the same "Starting to load Windows" and the Kernel message... I even began installing WinME just to see if something would install on the drive/system... (which it did).. I FINALLY put the old video card (GeForce 256) back in and bam, the thing fired right up and I was able to reinstall XP...

(After all this) My question is, is there any software I can use to test to see if the new card is functioning properly? If it is the card, I can trade it in for another, if not then I'll just get one with a different chipset...

Also, is there a way to make a boot disk for NTFS... I booted with an old Win98SE disk and the drive was non-existent... but fdisk saw it, so I knew it was there...

And furthermore, can any of you shed some understanding on some of those errors, signs, and symptoms? They may be coincidental, but seem peculiar in and of themselves...

Thanks for reading this far,
Ret