Win 7 boots in wrong language

DISPENSER4HIRE_32

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
My new ASUS laptop boots in what I believe is Arabic. It is also the 1st time to use win 7. It came with a recovery disc, but I cannot read the screen prompts, and nothing is in the same place as XP. I really don't want to have to return the laptop for a software problem. Help!

Oops.. You cannot actually change the language of Windows (unless it's Ultimate or Enterprise + language packs). Sounds to me like someone installed the Arabic version on your machine. Are you sure you read the fine-print before you bought it? I suggest you take it back.

If it's a multilanguage version then there should be an icon in the upper-left corner of the logon screen that lets you change the language. If there isn't one that probably means only 1 language is installed and you're out of luck.

EDIT: Sorry - the icon I was thinking of is in the lower-left corner and it's the accessibility icon, not the language icon. But there should be a language icon visible somewhere if it is a multilingual version.

DISPENSER4HIRE_32

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I apparently selected Arabic (I guess???) when I set up the computer. I went into bios, set it to boot from the cd drive 1st, and used the restore disk, and VERY CAREFULLY chose English.