Win 7 boots in wrong language

My new ASUS laptop boots in what I believe is Arabic. It is also the 1st time to use win 7. It came with a recovery disc, but I cannot read the screen prompts, and nothing is in the same place as XP. I really don't want to have to return the laptop for a software problem. Help!
6 answers Last reply
More about boots wrong language
  1. Oops.. You cannot actually change the language of Windows (unless it's Ultimate or Enterprise + language packs). Sounds to me like someone installed the Arabic version on your machine. Are you sure you read the fine-print before you bought it? I suggest you take it back.
  2. Wow, did you get this thing off Ebay or something?
  3. If it's a multilanguage version then there should be an icon in the upper-left corner of the logon screen that lets you change the language. If there isn't one that probably means only 1 language is installed and you're out of luck.

EDIT: Sorry - the icon I was thinking of is in the lower-left corner and it's the accessibility icon, not the language icon. But there should be a language icon visible somewhere if it is a multilingual version.
  4. If you have Ultimate or Pro, go to the Control Panel and the Region and Language, there you can select the default language
  5. Thanks for the replies. I apparently selected Arabic (I guess???) when I set up the computer. I went into bios, set it to boot from the cd drive 1st, and used the restore disk, and VERY CAREFULLY chose English.
  6. Just to be clear, did you actually re-install Windows from scratch, or were you able to use the CD to change the default language for the already-installed copy of Windows?
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Laptops Data Recovery Windows 7