Tiny camera for low light work?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 16, 2005 12:51:24 AM

I posted this same question to other froups, but no response yet. I
hope that not too many of you are reading this for the second time...

I'm looking for a very small camera (about the size of the Canon SD20,
for example). I will often use it in dark environments, and I will use
the built-in flash. Good shutter response speed is appreciated. I've
noticed that many cameras fail to auto-focus in the dark, so that's a
concern as well.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

"David Arnstein" <arnstein@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D b97kc$1gs$1@reader2.panix.com...
>I posted this same question to other froups, but no response yet. I
> hope that not too many of you are reading this for the second time...
>
> I'm looking for a very small camera (about the size of the Canon SD20,
> for example). I will often use it in dark environments, and I will use
> the built-in flash. Good shutter response speed is appreciated. I've
> noticed that many cameras fail to auto-focus in the dark, so that's a
> concern as well.
> --
> David Arnstein
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

I doubt you're going to find what you want, going by the word "tiny." I had
a Sony p and s that worked quite well in low light. Might want to take a
look at a Sony.
July 16, 2005 8:56:32 AM

"David Arnstein" <arnstein@panix.com> wrote in message
news:D b97kc$1gs$1@reader2.panix.com...
> I posted this same question to other froups, but no response yet. I
> hope that not too many of you are reading this for the second time...
>
> I'm looking for a very small camera (about the size of the Canon SD20,
> for example). I will often use it in dark environments, and I will use
> the built-in flash. Good shutter response speed is appreciated. I've
> noticed that many cameras fail to auto-focus in the dark, so that's a
> concern as well.
> --
> David Arnstein
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

Have a look at the Fuji F10. Visit http://www.17million.co.uk for
information
Blair
Related resources
July 16, 2005 11:15:04 AM

Sony cameras focus best in low light but the Fuji F10 is the ONLY small
camera that can produce worthwhile pictures in low light without flash.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:20:49 PM

David Arnstein wrote:
> I posted this same question to other froups, but no response yet. I
> hope that not too many of you are reading this for the second time...
>
> I'm looking for a very small camera (about the size of the Canon SD20,
> for example). I will often use it in dark environments, and I will use
> the built-in flash. Good shutter response speed is appreciated. I've
> noticed that many cameras fail to auto-focus in the dark, so that's a
> concern as well.
> --
> David Arnstein
> arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

Fuji f10 is the only compact worth using in low light. It's not all
that compact though - and said to be halfway between compact and medium
sized but that's best tested by seeing the camera itself in a store.

If you wish to wait a little minolta has just announced an 8mp version
of the dimage x line that has image stabiliser and allows you to shoot
at 1/6 shutter speed. How it'll do in low light compared to the proven
fuji superccd sensors remains to be seen.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 4:21:41 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:15:04 +0100, "SteveB"
<sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote:

>Sony cameras focus best in low light but the Fuji F10 is the ONLY small
>camera that can produce worthwhile pictures in low light without flash.

Bought one last week from Normal Camera. Like it very much. Fast
turn-on, no noticeable shutter lag, fast focus. Many good attributes.
I've had it in my pocket most of the time and have taken many pictures
that would otherwise have been missed. I don't like to use flash if I
can help it on quick grab shots and with animals. The camera does
have a quite powerful flash, BTW. The reviews weren't BS.

No regrets, I bought it knowing its plus and minuses, but also ready
to return it the next day if it wasn't what I had hoped for. Main
tips are to use the Manual setting (not truly manual, as reviews point
out), and set white balance manually for indoor work, despite the
presets for three types of fluorescents, etc. Most of my shots at ISO
800 are just fine. That's what I had bought it for, handheld grab
shots, and to have a P&S that I could keep in my pocket all the time.
If you have to use ISO 1600, Noise Ninja cleans them up quite well for
5 by 7s or web photos. Even some 8 by 10s, depending upon subject
matter. You can force it into somewhat higher shutter speeds by
switching to "sports mode."

Check out dpreview.com for more complete info on this camera. I
predict sales of this will take off, and the next generation will
hopefully have full manual controls.

Mine had the spelling errors on some menus, but the downloadable
firmware fix fixed that.

Geezer Boy
!