GTX580 vs Quadro 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckie987

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey Everyone need some advice on a part of my new build hope you can help!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP (1 week) BUDGET RANGE: ~£350

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video Rendering of large files, use in CS5 premiere, light room and editing in HD

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No current GPU and PSU, Corsair Memory 600W Gaming Series GS600 High Performance 80 PLUS

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (CPU: i7-2700k, MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro, 8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Dabs.com/scan.co.uk/aria..com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia Quadro 2000 or gtx 580

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

So as it says above generally im only going to use the machine for surfing the net and working in CS5, premiere/lightroom and other editing programs and was wondering if the quadro was worth all the extra money, would you see a difference in rendering speed/quality..?

Thanks Alot, Graeme :)

nVidia Quadro and AMD Firepro are designed specifically for such 3D, animation, rendering, solidworks and so..... It's the main cards in workstations...

So, as long as you're not gaming and you'll use it for photo and video editing i recommend the Quadro 2000.

if it is 'worth' the extra money depends entirely on what you are doing and your own value systems. The 580 (and 570 for that matter) are quite capable of production work for people like me who only do jobs on the side. But the Quadro line is quite a bit quicker (and more fault tolerant) for professionals who use their computers daily.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Actually Quadro cards are more targeted toward modeling and OP has listed mostly video editing software.

In video editing the GPU only really comes into play during playback enhancement (user-level), and video transcoding.

I believe the fact that the GTX 580 has 260% the shaders of the Quadro 2000 will outweigh any driver-based benefits.

So my vote goes to GTX 580.

G

Hi Graeme :)

NO, the quadro wouldn't be worth it.

All the best :)

A Geforce or Radeon would be faster for the OpenGL viewport.
A Quadro or Tesla would be the choise for hardcore rendering because of the speed, let alone because the card is made to run at 100% for years - I actually doubt in this case a GeForce could handle that without a custom cooling.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

What? Why would you need custom cooling? If Furmark cannot overheat a card, then why would video transcoding overheat a card?
If a card has a TDP of say 200W, and its cooler is made to dissipate 250W of heat, then it doesn't matter if the card runs at 100% for 10 min, 10 days, or 10 years. As long as dust does not clog the HSF then the cooler will be able to keep the card at a certain temperature forever. This is because heat does not "build up" just because a card runs for longer.

I believe you have no idea what the differences between Quadro and GeForce are, it has NOTHING to do with cooling, in fact, in the cooling department GeForces are much better due to the existence of custom coolers by board partners.

In terms of video transcoding, GPU-acceleration is done on a Nvidia card by DirectCompute (DX11), OpenCL (OpenGL 4.0), or CUDA. To support GPU-accelerated video transcoding a GPU need only support DX11/OpenGL 4.

G

hey kids,
a quadro core speed is downclocked compared to a geforce card and would run cooler.

a gefore card would gave a better cooling solution; how many frozen twin quadros do you see?

Quadro vs Geforce? Quadro are the professional workstation graphics cards while the Geforce are the consumer level, A quadro card is used for graphics design and CAD processing. It isn't meant for highend gaming. Quadro cards are intended for content creation, and they are tested and optimized for that type of use. GeForce cards are intended for gaming and general applications, and they're optimized for that.
I'm not pretty expert in the technical details but the Quadro lines offer much better Antialiased Points and Lines, OpenGL Logic Operations, Clip Regions, Hardware-Accelerated Planes and so on.....
Read this title
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20110406235438_Nvidia_Quadro_400_for_169_Outperforms_GeForce_GTX_580_by_Five_Times.html

Now, did I miss something?

What I meant by Custom cooling is that most Quadro Series don't have the large HSF in the Geforce family.

chuckie987

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey,
Thanks for all your input!

I think I will go for the Quadro slightly more expensive but it will be getting used in a professional sense for video work and only slight gaming.

Thnaks again!! :)

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010

The main difference between workstation cards and commercial cards is the amount of RAM. They use exactly the same GPUs.

If you're going to use a Quadro 2000, you will be able to edit your files with speed.

If you're using a GTX 580, you'll be able to edit your files with speed and play games as well. Just make sure you but a 3GB version and as it happens, there's a £30 discount on a 3GB Phantom card.

Link: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-144-GW

BUY IT :D

janiashvili

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
don't buy quadro.

for video editing Quadro is not good.

It's only for CAD and visualization if you've got enough money...
Its drivers are optimized for that. It has really good OpenGL support.
But for everything else - buy geforce.(for stability, you can somehow install quadro driver on geforce)

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

This was what I was saying.

The Quadro has NO benefit for video editing, the only section of the video editing pipeline that is sped up is the transcoding stage, which the GeForce can perform.

This is also not mentioning the fact that the geforce has a massively better GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.