Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Emachines W3650 Celeron D 440 upgrade to Intel Core 2 Duo E8400?

Last response: in CPUs
September 22, 2012 8:20:51 AM

Hello,
I am needing some help. I Have an Emachines W3650. Ive already maxed out the RAM, and even upgraded to a better Graphics card. Heres the dealio, I read somewhere that the factory board with it is compatible with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor. I think I messed up in insalling that processor mainly due to the system not even turnin on. Any thoughts? No, not lookin to buy a new systenm. However, I could see about getting a Micro ATX board that could fit that cpu. Any ideas on a good board?
September 22, 2012 6:38:21 PM

ndittmer08 said:
Hello,
I am needing some help. I Have an Emachines W3650. Ive already maxed out the RAM, and even upgraded to a better Graphics card. Heres the dealio, I read somewhere that the factory board with it is compatible with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor. I think I messed up in insalling that processor mainly due to the system not even turnin on. Any thoughts? No, not lookin to buy a new systenm. However, I could see about getting a Micro ATX board that could fit that cpu. Any ideas on a good board?

Although your mobo is a LGA-775 skt that will physically accept the E8400 cpu, the chipset that you have was released 1st q 2005 and thus has no support for an E8400. I would look to change the motherboard out for an aftermarket one that will fit your case, Micro-ATX, plenty of them around with bios support of your cpu.

Before you go out and purchase anything I would suggest you make sure that you have the latest Bios update for the native board, there could possibly be an update which will allow you to use the E8400.

Also I suggest if you do switch out the mobo get one with onboard graphics such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

They are all from low $40.00'S USD to mid $50.00's USD and will work fine. :hello: 

I think I found the mobo in your machine : http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

If this is it, look for a bios upgrade as I stated earlier, I believe it is this one, click download then Bios it will show you the update. Release date is 01/25/2007

Worth a try. Good luck Rich G
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 6:23:23 AM

Which update would be best to choose? And this is probably going to sound dumb, but how do I run the update?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 23, 2012 6:42:45 AM

Sparse info on Emachine site, need to know what Mobo you have, unless you have a manual, look in your case for a model number, usually in the centre of the mobo in white letters. Then hope the mobo manufacturers offer a BIOS update...
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:28:07 PM

ndittmer08 said:
Which update would be best to choose? And this is probably going to sound dumb, but how do I run the update?

You need to supply the info on the motherboard, the one I found might not be the right one, a few different ones could of been used and it seems that when and if we find the correct one you will need some guidance in this, it's ok, BTDT.

What Dodger46 said is true, look in the machine and see if is written in white letters on the mobo!!!!! :sol: 

This might help you: http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/productinfo/MB.htm#bios

If we find the correct mobo and there is a bios update its not as simple as running a executable within windows, it is done differently and if done wrong can brick your computer. :o 

Addition: This might be your mobo too: ECS 945GCT-M3 : http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail...

This is why we need to know exactly which mobo is in your rig. :wahoo: 
m
l
September 23, 2012 9:06:26 PM

Yuppers, that is exactly the motherboards numbers. Funny, it is posted everywhere in there lol. Now, I just need to find a Bios update, and I also need to know if that board supports a 1333 FSB processor, or if that processor could be dialed down just a tad. And a thought just occured...would I need a newer power supply? Its a 350W, but I am running a Nvidia Gforce 8400GS, the standard 160GB harddrive, pluse another IDE 40GB harddrive (as storage), and the standard DVDRW drive, and 2 1GB memory sticks. Now I have heard, that putting too big a PSU in their could infact burn up the components....and we don't want that.
m
l
September 23, 2012 9:09:35 PM

Oh, and the Bios version as listed by the System Information is 945GCT-M3 V1.10 12/24/2007
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 8:53:29 AM

I have never ever in my life heard that a overly powerful PSU could destroy components. In fact, most computers use less than 200 watts of power at full load. Some manage to hit 500+ watts, but we are talking about SLI'd 690s with a 6 core CPU. And besides, while wattage is important in a PSU, quality and amps are what you really want to look for.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 5:25:45 PM

phyco126 said:
I have never ever in my life heard that a overly powerful PSU could destroy components. In fact, most computers use less than 200 watts of power at full load. Some manage to hit 500+ watts, but we are talking about SLI'd 690s with a 6 core CPU. And besides, while wattage is important in a PSU, quality and amps are what you really want to look for.

Not heard of that happening myself, but I imagine if a short developed on the 12V rail, and protection devices failed, the result would be pretty spectacular when the PSU is capable of delivering 60-70 amps!
m
l
September 24, 2012 6:48:56 PM

Listen, that board supports the E8400, have you checked that everything is seated properly, are you using Thermal Interface material between the cpu and the heatsink. As already stated a larger P/S will not hurt anything. You have the latest bios I think......
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 7:26:59 PM

Don't see it on the list?? There's an Extreme x6800 at the very top, which looks like a beast, expensive, too, $999 at release...
m
l
September 24, 2012 8:25:53 PM

python134r
If this chip is compatible with this board, or even Bios, then why when I hit the power button all I get is the cpu fan powering up? No HDD, or anythin else. I did look for a Bios upgrade at the support page for my machine, however, it doesn't have an update. I did however forget the thermal paste, would that really make this not work? Plus my board is rated for a FSB of 1066, no higher, and the chip is a 1333Mhz...I would think that means its not compatible. Right? Wish I could have you pop out of the forum and show me what I am not doing right lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 24, 2012 8:35:46 PM

Doubt your CPU was on long enough to do any damage, plus I'm convinced that your board does not support it, and there are no updates to the BIOS that will help. Probably best to start at the top of the supported CPU list and try on Ebay for a deal, doubt you'll find an X6800 though. While you're at it sell your E8400 on Ebay to part fund it's replacement, or search for an Ebay bargain mobo that will support it...
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:51:37 AM

I have found a possible suitable replacement mobo, ASUS P5G41T-M LX PLUS LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard, as well as a decent power supply 500w, and I do believe if I am not mistaken, the default cpu that was sold with this board was the 8400 I have, so now it all about finding the funds for it. Wish me luck.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 25, 2012 5:30:09 AM

Good choice. I rarely buy anything other than Asus boards, find them very reliable. Plenty available on Ebay, if you have acess to that market...
September 25, 2012 8:17:42 AM

Best answer selected by ndittmer08.
m
l
September 26, 2012 6:16:37 AM

python 134r, that is irony, because it just so happens i picked that board, and it directed me to Amazon lol
m
l
!