Sign in with
Your question

Super Flower power supplies?

Last response: in Components
September 22, 2012 10:07:21 AM

In Finland, the Super Flower power Supplies are pretty famous.
And now I want to ask you guys, are they good as people say?

Are they really 100 watts more powerful than their name says?
Want to know, because people were suggesting a 400w Super flower golden green PSU
for my i5 3570k, r7850 1gb, 8gb ram, asrock pro3 computer

Should I get it? Or a XFX Core 550w instead?
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 10:28:34 AM

I would recommend the XFX PSU, mainly because i have never heard of super flower.

a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 10:31:40 AM

^I also thought that about super flower, partly because of the silly names.

BUT they have been rated on hardware secrets and perform very well. +100W not sure, i'd still get a right sized PSU, but it'll be less stressed, run cooler and last longer. they really need to europeanise their naming scheme.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Super-Flower-Gol...

Obvious different models different results.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 10:40:37 AM

super flower have stepped up to become one of the best the golden green platform was used by kingwin in their gold units and now by rosewill in their capstone and lightning units

the 400 watt will be fine for a 7850 or even 7870
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 4:53:54 PM

I'm fairly sure jay_nar has replied in loads of threads which mention Super Flower, saying that he's never heard of them, and which have subsequently received responses which have explained that Super Flower design/produce/sell some very good units.

The 450W version was positively reviewed at Jonnyguru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Some Super Flower PSUs are marketed, as being able to be 'overclocked' 100W above the number on the label, although I only remember this happening with the Golden King 550W / Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W.

There's no way in hell I'd buy an XFX 550W PSU if I had the option to buy a 400W Super Flower Golden Green.
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 5:28:51 PM

Well i don't remember super flower at least, maybe its just the weird name, sounds like a cooking oil company.
September 22, 2012 5:56:46 PM

There is no way in hell I would buy a Super Flower green pansy (or whatever its called) if I could get a XFX 550W core edition (which is made by seasonic).

They review about the same but call me old fashioned I wouldn't buy a PSU that sounds like a strain of cannabis when the other option is made by a solid maker.
a c 76 ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 6:04:10 PM

wr6133 said:
There is no way in hell I would buy a Super Flower green pansy (or whatever its called) if I could get a XFX 550W core edition (which is made by seasonic).

They review about the same but call me old fashioned I wouldn't buy a PSU that sounds like a strain of cannabis when the other option is made by a solid maker.

PSU racist :lol: 

Anyway, I think it's generally accepted that SeaSonic made PSU's are the best, but seriously, Super Flower made PSU's are great, too. I haven't seen a bad review, ever, for a SF made PSU.
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 6:10:41 PM

They actually built quality PSUs. A company name change would be a good idea, though. It seems to be miss-leading peoples minds to think about junk quality, all the time. :p 
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 6:20:53 PM

Super Flower is actually a fairly decent psu OEM. Not on par with seasonic but about equal to CWT, Delta, other 2nd tier makers.

About the name...

Remember. These are Chinese companies and literal translations of their Chinese names. iirc, Asus Chinese names' literal translation was something to the degree of "great computer corporation" or something like that...
a c 87 ) Power supply
September 22, 2012 6:24:46 PM

Don't suppose the fact that Super Flower aren't based in an English speaking country has any bearing on anyone's opinion of their name(s)?

DJDeCiBeL said:
Anyway, I think it's generally accepted that SeaSonic made PSU's are the best, but seriously, Super Flower made PSU's are great, too. I haven't seen a bad review, ever, for a SF made PSU.

Maybe Seasonic do make the best PSUs, but the S12II/M12II Bronze units aren't (the best), they are mid-range units with group regulation, bronze efficiency and are noisy on full load. While Golden Greens are indy regulated, gold efficiency and quiet even on full load and comparable to the X series in terms of quality.
To me, when people say they'd choose an S12II Bronze over a SF Golden Green, it's like people saying that they'd take an S12II Bronze over a Seasonic X Series unit, but not because of the cheaper price.
!