Sign in with
Your question

Best AMD card manufacturer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2012 4:51:41 AM

For a number of years, I've been an Nvidia guy and for quite some time I've been a big fan of EVGA. Their support has been fantastic for me and my family members. But, unfortunately, since EVGA doesn't make AMD cards, if I decided to get an AMD card, I can't get one from them.

Since I know nothing of the AMD manufacturers, I have no idea who would be EVGA's equivalent (in terms of build quality, support, and "lifetime warranty"). And, hell, maybe I'm overselling EVGA here.

So who's the "best" AMD video card manufacturer?

More about : amd card manufacturer

March 29, 2012 4:59:36 AM

XFX for warranty (and their cards are pretty good, too)
I personally like Sapphire the best because they produce the quietest cards and they run really "cold"
ASUS's DCII is pretty decent for the maximum overclocks
MSI's Twin Frozr cooler is pretty much the equivalent of Sapphire, maybe a tier lower (just preference)
Just be careful on some of the MSI models. Some of them are loud and some are dead silent.
a b À AMD
March 29, 2012 5:11:46 AM

Best price plus best features. I recently bought the twin frozer III version of the HD 6950 and I love it. The card is quiet and idles at 36C.
Of course that's after I cleaned up the awful factory TIM that was all over the place and put a dab of shin etsu. But still, I can't imagine getting a better 6950. And all the manufacturers these days seem to go ape$#!7 with the thermal grease.
Related resources
March 29, 2012 4:07:13 PM

e56imfg said:
XFX for warranty (and their cards are pretty good, too)

But not as good as Sapphire or ASUS?
March 29, 2012 4:13:30 PM

I usually go with the best warranty regardless of anything else, and that's XFX.
a b À AMD
March 29, 2012 4:27:59 PM

I've had a couple of Asus cards die on me, but the construction quality was very solid. I have also used some Sapphire cards, and they're all still working, and were/are quiet. My favorite, however, is HIS. Their IceQ coolers are excellent. Not only do they work well, and quietly, they also exhaust the GPU's heat. Often, they are the only models that do; unless your case has good front-to-back airflow that can get rid of GPU heat, that may be important.
March 29, 2012 4:50:41 PM

Sapphire is is the best partner for AMD, like EVGA is the best for nVidia....
I've been using their cards since the Radeon X1900 and had no problem.
It's good looking with good materials and runs cool like e56i said.

XFX is know for the lifetime warranty but their cards are much more a ref design and noisy.
Asus & MSI are great too but somehow they quickly have problems.
March 29, 2012 5:04:19 PM

RobertM525 said:
For a number of years, I've been an Nvidia guy and for quite some time I've been a big fan of EVGA. Their support has been fantastic for me and my family members. But, unfortunately, since EVGA doesn't make AMD cards, if I decided to get an AMD card, I can't get one from them.

Since I know nothing of the AMD manufacturers, I have no idea who would be EVGA's equivalent (in terms of build quality, support, and "lifetime warranty"). And, hell, maybe I'm overselling EVGA here.

So who's the "best" AMD video card manufacturer?

Within each top tier manufacture there are good models / series. I think XFX is a good card and the warranty is good. I also have to say MSI uses the best components I have seen and the manufacturing quality is top notch. Their Twin Frozr design is great. It runs the coolest and quietest. They are good to overclock with as well if you are into that.

My personal opinion of HIS are they are a bottom entry contender. Saphire is the middle of the road entry level so to say. PNY sucks they have good and bad cards because it depends on who is selling the cheapest components sourced to make the cards I suggest staying away. EVGA serves the masses and offer a lot of different cards Overclocked versions. I have not seen to much of any custom coolers on them unfortunately.

So to sum it up I say MSI first with a Twin Frozr cooler setup or XFX 2nd.
March 29, 2012 5:15:43 PM

I have a Sapphire HD 5850 and it has been a good card. I like Sapphire and had no problems with past products!!!!
!