Deleteing folders files with illegal names...

January 18, 2005 3:55:04 AM

I have an MP3 ripping program and it has made some directories I now cannot
delete.

It automatically created a directory "Long Gone..." (Notice the three
periods) I belive this to be an illegal direcotry name. It appears as "Long
Gone.." under XP. However if I try to delete this file I cannot. If I
open/explore this I get transported to a directory called "Long Gone."

I think basically XP is reading the "..." as "./../" and opening the
direcotry re directs to its self. (both direcotries point to each another)
and gets caught in a circle of redirection.

To cut it short how do I delete them? I have one in my trash can which I can
neither restore or delete and one in my HD folders. scandisk does not find
any errors.

Thanks
JohnnyBoyMcD
January 18, 2005 8:35:03 AM

Have you tried deleting this from within DOS?

"JohnnyBoyMcD" wrote:

> I have an MP3 ripping program and it has made some directories I now cannot
> delete.
>
> It automatically created a directory "Long Gone..." (Notice the three
> periods) I belive this to be an illegal direcotry name. It appears as "Long
> Gone.." under XP. However if I try to delete this file I cannot. If I
> open/explore this I get transported to a directory called "Long Gone."
>
> I think basically XP is reading the "..." as "./../" and opening the
> direcotry re directs to its self. (both direcotries point to each another)
> and gets caught in a circle of redirection.
>
> To cut it short how do I delete them? I have one in my trash can which I can
> neither restore or delete and one in my HD folders. scandisk does not find
> any errors.
>
> Thanks
> JohnnyBoyMcD

January 19, 2005 7:28:54 AM