Deleteing folders files with illegal names...

I have an MP3 ripping program and it has made some directories I now cannot
delete.

It automatically created a directory "Long Gone..." (Notice the three
periods) I belive this to be an illegal direcotry name. It appears as "Long
Gone.." under XP. However if I try to delete this file I cannot. If I
open/explore this I get transported to a directory called "Long Gone."

I think basically XP is reading the "..." as "./../" and opening the
direcotry re directs to its self. (both direcotries point to each another)
and gets caught in a circle of redirection.

To cut it short how do I delete them? I have one in my trash can which I can
neither restore or delete and one in my HD folders. scandisk does not find
any errors.

Thanks
JohnnyBoyMcD
2 answers Last reply
More about deleteing folders files illegal names

    Have you tried deleting this from within DOS?

    "JohnnyBoyMcD" wrote:

    > I have an MP3 ripping program and it has made some directories I now cannot
    > delete.
    >
    > It automatically created a directory "Long Gone..." (Notice the three
    > periods) I belive this to be an illegal direcotry name. It appears as "Long
    > Gone.." under XP. However if I try to delete this file I cannot. If I
    > open/explore this I get transported to a directory called "Long Gone."
    >
    > I think basically XP is reading the "..." as "./../" and opening the
    > direcotry re directs to its self. (both direcotries point to each another)
    > and gets caught in a circle of redirection.
    >
    > To cut it short how do I delete them? I have one in my trash can which I can
    > neither restore or delete and one in my HD folders. scandisk does not find
    > any errors.
    >
    > Thanks
    > JohnnyBoyMcD

    Can't Delete a File or Folder in XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;Q320081

    WipeDir: http://www.skaro.net/wipedir/

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "JohnnyBoyMcD" <JohnnyBoyMcD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an MP3 ripping program and it has made some directories I now cannot
    > delete.
    >
    > It automatically created a directory "Long Gone..." (Notice the three
    > periods) I belive this to be an illegal direcotry name. It appears as
    > "Long
    > Gone.." under XP. However if I try to delete this file I cannot. If I
    > open/explore this I get transported to a directory called "Long Gone."
    >
    > I think basically XP is reading the "..." as "./../" and opening the
    > direcotry re directs to its self. (both direcotries point to each another)
    > and gets caught in a circle of redirection.
    >
    > To cut it short how do I delete them? I have one in my trash can which I
    > can
    > neither restore or delete and one in my HD folders. scandisk does not find
    > any errors.
    >
    > Thanks
    > JohnnyBoyMcD

Configuration Windows XP