Windows won't boot after upgrade to sandy bridge

geekman2

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
i accidentally bricked my old motherboard, so I upgraded to sandy bridge with a new motherboard, processor and RAM but now windows tells me it is unable to boot.

I have a i5-2500k and a Asus p8z68-v motherboard

You can't install Windows on a motherboard that runs one architecture and then switch it to a new motherboard running a different architecture - the chipset and probably other devices require different device drivers.

You may be able to "repair" things using your Windows installation disc, but the surest solution is to reinstall Windows.

First, try to do a repair install.
Boot from your windows dvd, and select that option.

Once installed, use the driver cd that came with your motherboard to install the chipset and device drivers.

If that fails, you could try to do an upgrade install.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
first, keep tapping f8 and see if you can get into safemode

if you cant put windows disk in pc and do a repair install and try again

thats odd

i had a core 2 duo e7600, foxconn 45cmx and 3gb ddr2

uninstalled the old drivers, took hdd out and put in new

new pc was

asus p8z68-v lx, i5 2400 and 8gb ddr3

all i had to do was install new drivers and re-activate windows. i didnt even need the windows key

if you uninstall the drivers for your motherboard win7 will default to default win7 drivers that should work with new pc

geekman2

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I tried using the install cd to both repair and upgrade, repair tells me its not compatible and upgrade tells me to run it inside windows which obviously won't work any ideas/

In the past, I had a windows 7 installed on a hard drive, and the X58 motherboard it ran on went bad. I replaced the motherboard with a H61 motherboard and a 2100. I expected to have to do a clean install, but I tried the old hard drive, and it booted! Luck, or who knows what. I installed the cd drivers and all ren well.

Since you have had no success, perhaps this is a good time to do something else.

Invest in a SSD, 80gb or so will do it. The improvement in everyday operation will be remarkable.
Look to Intel, Samsng, or crucial in that order.

Do a clean install on the SSD by itself, and then add your old hard drive. Your old data will still be available on your old drive, and you can delete all of the old windows files.

Install windows clean on a second drive, preferably where you want the os to ultimately be.

If the data you want to preserve is on a ssd now, image it to a new hard drive to preserve the contents. Use a stand alone clone utility like acronis true image.

captjack5169

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
There is one other option that is not free, Acronis with universal restore will allow you to back up the drive and then restore it with no drivers, this option works but is not free. There are other places you can get it, but I am not at liberty to say where. Google is usually a good place to start.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
It depends on the build of the OS. Some installs i have done work like how you describe shanky887614 but other ones fail and i have to repair the installation. I wonder if it has to do with OEM disks vs. Retail Disks like dell or hp.