Black Edition PSU?

c94w

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Showing my ignorance here again I fear people....

I have been seeing a fair few PSU's with the label of 'Black Edition' so I get the CPU version but not the PSU version.

So what is the difference between a normal PSU and these Black Edition ones?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Oh and one last thing might be in the wrong section of the forum but hey ho, does anyone know what PSU I would need for this graphics card: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards+-+GPUs/Graphics+Cards+-+NVIDIA/GeForce+GTX+650/MSI+Power+Edition+GeForce+GTX+650+OC+1024MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+?productId=51965

Cheers guys.

There is no universal definition of what Black Edition means, at least when it comes to PSUs. When it comes to CPUs and graphics cards, it usually stands for overclocking - either an unlocked multiplier on the CPU or a factory-overclocked graphics card. PSUs can't be overclocked, obviously.

What PSU you need would depend on the rest of your system too, to some extent. Still, any quality 550W PSU will be fine. Stick to the reliable brands, such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and XFX.

Depends on the rest of your specs, but any good quality 300 watt psu can handle a card that has a 64 watt max board power rating