Sign in with
Your question

Budget with Existing Parts

Last response: in Systems
May 29, 2012 5:44:44 PM

I basically need to know if this will work.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing Internet, Gaming, Movies

Overclocking:
Maybe

SLI or Crossfire:
Maybe

My Build: (Purchasing everything ASAP - mainly from MicroCenter) *Mainly for Internet Surfing, Gaming, Movies

CPU (NEW): Intel ivy bridge i5 3570k

Motherboard (NEW): ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or ASUS P8Z77-V or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H or ASRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM (NEW): HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

CPU Cooler (NEW): ???

HDD (OLD) :
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (Perpendicular Recording Technology) -Bare Drive

Eternal Hard Drive (OLD) :
2TB Western Digital Elements 2.0 USB

PSU (OLD): OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

GPU (OLD) :
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

Case (NEW) :
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Will everything work together? Is the graphic card that is built into the Intel CPU better than the one I have now? Which motherboard should I go with? I do plan on upgrading the Graphic Card in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

More about : budget existing parts

May 29, 2012 6:54:12 PM

It should work as a filler until you buy a new GPU, but atm, it cannot play any games well.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:13:47 PM

Yeah I think the intel graphics would be better than that card. That ivy cpu has HD 4000 graphics right?
Your going to want a faster HD, grab a small SSD for windows and programs and use the seagate as storage. I recently bought an OCZ agility 3 60gb (it was cheap and I dont need much space) and its great!
Other than that your build looks solid.
If you want to overclock (or even if you dont, ivy runs pretty hot) grab a cheap air cooler, all the americans will recomend you the coolermaster 212, I've got a scythe mugen 2 which I can recommend, nocuta of course makes the best air cooler. (The D14 I think its called?) Or you can get contained Watercooling kits like the corsair H70...
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2012 7:17:11 PM

Ivy bridge only runs hot at very high overclocks - 4.2 GHz is not a very high overclock.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:44:20 PM

I appreciate the responses.

According to this benchmark it seems as though the HD 4000 has a higher rating than my Geforce 7600 GS.

Intel HD 4000 - 605 vs Geforce 7600 GS - 487

Given that information is it even worth installing the video card? Will it just eat up power and not provide me with any benefits?

Max1s - Is the small SSD that much faster than my current Hard Drive? Is it really worth the extra $60? Would it be better to put that $60 into a graphics card and upgrade the SSD later on?

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks again and keep them coming!
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:45:34 PM

Yeah, your GPU is not going to perform as well. Always upgrade the main components before any other. Get the SSD later and save for a better GPU now.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:59:05 PM

Azeem40 - So I shouldn't even bother installing my Old Geforce Graphic card and just use the Intel HD 4000? Would running my graphic card reduce temperatures and weight off my Intel CPU?

What about Motherboard recommendations?
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
ASUS P8Z77-V
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Which one should suit my needs? Again I'm trying to spend as little as possible but I'm willing to fork up the money for a better MOBO if needed.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming!
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:24:50 PM

Yes, the Intel HD 4000 uses less power and requires less power and gives better performance. The Extreme4 is the best value out of all those, but if you're not CF/SLIng, get the Pro3 Gen3.
m
l
May 30, 2012 5:04:45 AM

You could use the nvidia card as a physix card, but it might slow down games cause its so slow.
Yeah I guess the SSD isn't a must, but it makes your whole PC alot faster, and its pretty cheap.
I am running the older asus p8z68-v and I love it. It has small problems every once in a while but ASUS keep making bios updates so its all good. I dont see any reason to go with the pro or deluxe version unless you need the extra 2 sata ports or whatever it is they offer. Or if you plan to do an extreme OC you will need a very good mobo, but I've gotten my i5-2500k to 4.5ghz on this board with no problems.
Of course the ASrock is also very good, from what I can tell there are minimal differences between it and the ASUS.
m
l
!