Correcting Icon for "Active Directory Users and Computers"

I had initially installed ACDSee and used the change File Associations
for all Image files to be read by ACDSee. However I noticed that my
"Active Directory Users and Computers" changed to be opened by ACDSee.

I opened up "Administrative Tools" and half of the icons showed an
ACDSee icon association. So I removed the association, but now all
those programs have the unknown/unassociated icon showing instead of
the original it displayed before.

I cannot figure out how to get this changed back to where it should be.
Does anyone know where I can go to correct this? Thanks
Joe
8 answers Last reply
More about correcting icon active directory users computers

    Joe,

    What's the filetype for "Active Directory Users and Computers" (.MSC ?)

    If so, apply the MSC association fix from here:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    <jchristl@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message news:1106056534.684160.195930@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    I had initially installed ACDSee and used the change File Associations
    for all Image files to be read by ACDSee. However I noticed that my
    "Active Directory Users and Computers" changed to be opened by ACDSee.

    I opened up "Administrative Tools" and half of the icons showed an
    ACDSee icon association. So I removed the association, but now all
    those programs have the unknown/unassociated icon showing instead of
    the original it displayed before.

    I cannot figure out how to get this changed back to where it should be.
    Does anyone know where I can go to correct this? Thanks
    Joe

    Well, I can't tell because when I right-click, it doesn't tell you
    where it's at on the system - the target is grayed out and it just says
    "Windows server Administration 2003 Toolpak", but I'm guessing it's an
    ..ICO simply because it changed when I changed the File Association from
    another application.

    It does open with mmc.exe...

    But I'm with you, I would have guessed it was an .MSC file
    association. The program opens up properly, it's just the icon
    picture that's different.

    Okay, wait a minute. I think I just had, what alcoholics call a
    "Moment of clarity"...

    I just opened up mmc.exe and under the "File" choice there were
    previously used apps, and C:\Windows\system32\dsa.msc was one of them.

    I chose that one, and "Active Directory Users and Computers" did come
    up. :)

    So I wonder why the desktop icon changes to an ICO if the program is
    really an .MSC?

    Intriguing...

    Okay, at some point I ran those File Association Fix'es for both ICO
    and MSC and now everything seems to be corrected.

    I don't know what in the hell ACDSee 6.0 did but it seems a little
    messy for my tastes...

    Thanks for the links, Ramesh

    Joe

    > The file extension changed to .ico (from .msc) ?

    Well I can't tell exactly what the extension is. It's one of those
    hidden ones that Microsoft puts on the desktop. When I ran the ACDSee
    6.0 File association for "all Images" the program icon changed. When I
    removed it in ACDSee, the icon went to a generic-looking one.

    Thanks for the feedback!

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <jchristl@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message news:1106235574.781720.8970@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    Okay, wait a minute. I think I just had, what alcoholics call a
    "Moment of clarity"...

    I just opened up mmc.exe and under the "File" choice there were
    previously used apps, and C:\Windows\system32\dsa.msc was one of them.

    I chose that one, and "Active Directory Users and Computers" did come
    up. :)

    So I wonder why the desktop icon changes to an ICO if the program is
    really an .MSC?

    Intriguing...

    Glad you got this resolved Joe.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <jchristl@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message news:1106237294.528292.133570@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    Okay, at some point I ran those File Association Fix'es for both ICO
    and MSC and now everything seems to be corrected.

    I don't know what in the hell ACDSee 6.0 did but it seems a little
    messy for my tastes...

    Thanks for the links, Ramesh

    Joe

    FYI:

    Open a CMD.exe window
    Switch to this directory:
    "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"
    Type Dir to verify the file extension.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    <jchristl@zdnetmail.com> wrote in message news:1106237508.793395.149240@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > The file extension changed to .ico (from .msc) ?

    Well I can't tell exactly what the extension is. It's one of those
    hidden ones that Microsoft puts on the desktop. When I ran the ACDSee
    6.0 File association for "all Images" the program icon changed. When I
    removed it in ACDSee, the icon went to a generic-looking one.

Configuration Computers Active Directory Windows XP