CoolerMaster HAF-X 942
LG M-DISC Blu-ray
MSI Geforce 670 GTX O.C. Edition
Corsair GS800 PSU

Edit: It's for gaming and movies

More about : rate rig

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 7:36:18 PM

That would depend on what you were doing with it.
m
l
May 29, 2012 7:37:31 PM

Proximon said:
That would depend on what you were doing with it.

Gaming and watching movies.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

May 29, 2012 7:54:03 PM

Then it's OK. Here are my minor issues with it:

Asus Maximus V Gene
An mATX board in a huge case. Why would you deny yourself the extra expansion slots?

Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570k
This CPU overclocks poorly, yet you have spent extra on a board designed to overclock well.

16GB (4x4GB) Gskill ripjaw DDR3 1600
You aren't doing anything that needs the extra RAM, and your money is better spent elsewhere.

Crucial m4 128GB SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

CoolerMaster HAF-X 942

LG M-DISC Blu-ray

Corsair GS800 PSU
There is no reason to buy this PSU for this build. It is made by CWT. The 750TX is made by Seasonic and costs less, and performs better. The There is a MODULAR 750TX that costs less. The rig as listed (WITH another card for SLI) will never exceed 600W.
May 29, 2012 8:05:33 PM

Proximon said:
Then it's OK. Here are my minor issues with it:

Asus Maximus V Gene
An mATX board in a huge case. Why would you deny yourself the extra expansion slots?

Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3570k
This CPU overclocks poorly, yet you have spent extra on a board designed to overclock well.

16GB (4x4GB) Gskill ripjaw DDR3 1600
You aren't doing anything that needs the extra RAM, and your money is better spent elsewhere.

Crucial m4 128GB SSD

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

CoolerMaster HAF-X 942

LG M-DISC Blu-ray

Corsair GS800 PSU
There is no reason to buy this PSU for this build. It is made by CWT. The 750TX is made by Seasonic and costs less, and performs better. The There is a MODULAR 750TX that costs less. The rig as listed (WITH another card for SLI) will never exceed 600W.

mATX board is because it was the only Asus ROG board for the new z77 chipset with the Ivy Bridge 22nm cpu for full PCIe 3.0 compatibility. I realize that it only has 2 PCIe 3.0 slots but I only plan on adding one more GTX 670, thus the 800w power supply (oh and the PSU has a red light!) Also, I may want to change things up one day, and I'll still have a power supply strong enough for many options.
the 16GB of RAM is for future proofing, and because for the first time, I can.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:09:51 PM

Sure, but what happens when you have both those cards in SLI and decide you want to have a high-end sound card? Where will you put it?
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:13:11 PM

Proximon said:
Sure, but what happens when you have both those cards in SLI and decide you want to have a high-end sound card? Where will you put it?

Ah the beauty of my Asus Maximus V Gene :)  It comes with onboard 8 channel SupremeFX III audio. Also, the placement of the audio chip is on the bottom of the board ( in relation to the inputs), secluding itself form ANY noise interruption, so you get 100% of the audio quality intended. check out the video on newegg, the ASUS rep explains it very well.

Edit: http://goo.gl/0CcRs
Here's the video. Goto 11:40
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:30:24 PM

I'll be devil's advocate here.

It could be anything; a PCI-e SSD, a network card, maybe a eSATA adapter. The possibility is endless but with a mATX board, you'll be limiting yourself in what you can do, even more so if you're set on having SLI in future.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:34:34 PM

eddieroolz said:
I'll be devil's advocate here.

It could be anything; a PCI-e SSD, a network card, maybe a eSATA adapter. The possibility is endless but with a mATX board, you'll be limiting yourself in what you can do, even more so if you're set on having SLI in future.

Case has an esata port on front. Mobo comes with a msata/mini pcie card that would allow me to get a wireless NIC in addition to the onboard gigabit lan. also, I have plenty of room for more sata 6gb SSD. Don't need PCIe SSD.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:37:23 PM

Well, you asked us to pick it apart :)  As I said, all minor things.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:38:00 PM

I was merely giving examples, but at least you have clear answers. That's good.

My point in all that was to illustrate that while you may be fine with the choices now, you may run into a situation where you'll need an expansion slot. If you're 95%+ positive you won't run into this situation (and it sounds like you are sure about it) then stick with your current motherboard choice.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:39:53 PM

I may have forgot to mention, this system is already built and in use. By the way, it's a monster. I am trying my damndest to slow it down, to no avail lol. I am adding every skyrim mod imaginable and it's still just purring along!
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:40:43 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the feedback! I love discussing my build with people. Thanks for the feedback, too.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:42:33 PM

Can anyone recommend something for me to test on it and see how far I can push it?
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:48:26 PM

Different games test different aspects, but if you're curious:

- Civilization V
- Battlefield 3
- Crysis (2)

Are just a few suggestions.
m
l
May 29, 2012 8:59:17 PM

eddieroolz said:
Different games test different aspects, but if you're curious:

- Civilization V
- Battlefield 3
- Crysis (2)

Are just a few suggestions.

Well, I got BF3 maxed out on 1920x1080 and The Witcher 2 on maxed the same. I guess when Max Payne comes out for PC we'll see how I fair with it. I'll check out Civ V and Crysis next. Thanks!
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:00:51 PM

What's the best free benchmark software?
m
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 9:01:31 PM

I give it a solid 7.5 in the swimsuit competition and an 8.3 in the evening ware category. I am very impressed by it's social work in anti bullying and with the homeless and I'm really looking forward to the talent portion of the judging. :love: 
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:02:29 PM

anort3 said:
I give it a solid 7.5 in the swimsuit competition and an 8.3 in the evening ware category. I am very impressed by it's social work in anti bullying and with the homeless and I'm really looking forward to the talent portion of the judging. :love: 

Did the comment just warp to this thread?
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:06:17 PM

anort3 said:

Great, that comment will bring this thread to that weird place on the internet... thanks lol.
m
l
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2012 9:12:25 PM

Oh was it not that kind of rate thread? :lol: 

Sorry I couldn't resist.

All in all it's a good build. The criticisms already pointed out are legitimate but it's a rig that should be a good solid gaming computer for a few years.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:21:08 PM

anort3 said:
Oh was it not that kind of rate thread? :lol: 

Sorry I couldn't resist.

All in all it's a good build. The criticisms already pointed out are legitimate but it's a rig that should be a good solid gaming computer for a few years.

Thanks!
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:38:12 PM

thrakazog said:
If you're tying to stress the system, Crysis fully modded can be quite the chore for systems.........even as old as it is. And if you do Crysis 2, make sure it's with the DX11 and Hi-Res texture packs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1014933/a-guide-to-crysis-mo...

http://www.mycrysis.com/dx11

O.K. Cool thanks! I'll be checking out Crysis tomorrow evening. Also, do you know of a free benchmarking software? I want to see how I stack up.
m
l
May 29, 2012 9:56:51 PM

Best answer selected by richarrj.
m
l
!