ghostlykev

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought a new PC so I can run high end games like BF3, Witcher 2 and others. I've played Witcher 2 and it runs great on ultra but when I try to run Skyrim on max or even high, the framrate drops like crazy. If anyone know what the problem can be please let me know, Thank You. (my PC specs, Intel Core i7 970, 12 GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 7770 1 GB CrossFire Mode (Dual Cards) and 1 TB Hard Drive)

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
First make sure both skyrim and your gpu drivers are updated (amd.com).
Skyrim has been releasing major patches that change performance significantly.

After updating both of those, play with individual settings. It's possible that skyrim adds too much AA at high and max while bf3 and the witcher 2 don't add it unless you select it manually.

So:
-turn all aa and af off (and anything with x4,x8,x16 or 4,8,16 samples) and check performance.
-try the other individual settings and see which ones give a performance drop.

The 7770 isn't an amazing card. On skyrim at 1920x1080 on high settings with aa you should see around a 40 fps average. You will have to tweak the graphics a bit to play at your desired fps.

ghostlykev

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Thank you that help a lot. I would think with two 7770 crossfire i will have great performance, I guess I should get a new card that's better like 7850 and use crossfire with one of my 7770.

Skyrim had a lot of problems with crossfireX early on. Without the CAP profiles, it's very likely it will run like crap with crossfire. You need to make sure your CAP (crossfire application profile) is installed and up to date, you can find them where AMD drivers are located at their website. amd.com.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
right, so i didn't realize you were in cf, *facepalm*.

two 7770s should run skyrim perfectly. Do what bystander said.

And don't crossfire a 7770 with another card... You can only cf within the same family (77xx or 78xx or 79xx) and then both cards run at the speed of the slower one.